The little/light Camper Trailer Thread...

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Jurgen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my first mod will be to take out the settee and replace it with a nice leather swivel recliner for me :evil:lol3

And then carry a Coleman camping folding single bed in the back of the truck for when needed. Every man needs a comfortable chair :lol3

[​IMG]
  2. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Nice little rig, but I thought you'd stated you needed something large enough for four adult males to sleep one-to-a-bed for bicycle outings?
  3. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    F*@*'ers would never go :bluduh

So it's all about me now :lol3

And they can bring a tent if we do a big guy trips.
  4. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice, looks a bit familiar

[​IMG]

I like your interior lay out better, but the deal I got on this little trailer, I couldn't pass it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tongue extension and rear receiver hitch was money well spent.

[​IMG]
  5. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love it RR. What did it cost you for the extension?
  6. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to know this too if you don't mind. As I want to do it to my trailer.

Also curious how the tongue weight is now, especially with your bike on there. :ear
  7. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    The extension cost me $1,200. I have friends that do all kinds of metal fab work that could have done it, but I felt better having it done by someone who specializes in custom trailers and trailer fabrication, so I took it to the Fabshopz http://www.fabshopz.com/index.html :spam to make sure it was done right.
    As far as tongue weight, I haven't put it on a scale yet (I want to and will) but according to my calculations the tongue weight with my DRZ on it is about 600lbs, and that's why I have the WD bars for the Colorado.
    And towing it with the Blazer.....................the Blazer doesn't even know it back there :D

[​IMG]

The frame was beefed up and I swapped out the 13in wheels for 14in to increase the weight rating for the tires.

[​IMG]

These pics were taken after I mounted the rail to the tounge and I didn't like the way the bike was riding on it, so I took it back to have a brace welded up on it which worked great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And thanks for more pics. I'm definitely going to take these pictures with me to my fab guy. And $1200 doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

I'll wager you're over 600# though. You probably started around 300# and adding all that steel and a 300#+ bike, your propane tank and tool box, you must be pushing 700#. Good call on the WDH.

Still a great job and I can't wait to do mine. Good call on upgrading your wheels and tires too. I went from 14's to 15's just for the much greater availability and variety of tires.

And seriously, do the math. 13" tires are spinning like a mofo at 65mph.

:thumb
  9. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get that rail for the bike, btw?
  10. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen that trailer in person and its definitely a quality job.
  11. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are we looking at here? Is that the original tongue surrounded by a new, big-ass tongue?
  12. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    That's what it looks like, and strength-wise that would make sense.
  13. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    its brilliant, if you ask me. Affordable, and allows you to make your rv decision w/o constraining yourself to the toy hauler models, just to carry a bike.
  14. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks RR and now I'm going to have to get bigger wheels and tires :lol3 :cry
  15. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    In my shed :lol3
    I borrowed a hitch hauler from a friend of mine years ago, tried to buy it from him (he's bikeless) but he wouldn't sell it and told me to keep it as long as I want, I remind him of it a couple times a year but he just says "if it's in your way I will come and get it"
    I can and will buy a aluminium rail from a nearby steel yard :D

Yes, you can see the part of original tongue, but the middle beam was replaced with 4in (I think) channel that runs back to the axle and then the outer beams are tied in with the frame. Dan from the Fabshopz drew me up a rough sketch of what he was going to do before he did the work and like I said earlier, his shop specializes in trailer building, repair and modification.

The extra metal added about 200lbs to the trailer, so yeah the tongue weight, with the bike is prolly more than my earlier estimate.

Thanks, I spent a good 3 years going back and forth on what I wanted...............conversion van, Class C, toy hauler tent trailer, inclosed trailer to modify to camp in, couldn't find a small enough toy hauler for the Colorado, came close to pulling the trigger at each different choice at one time or another.
    When I came across this little Jayco (a friends Dad bought it brand new 2 years earlier and never took it out) I had already had a "vision" of doing something like this based on those little tent trailer toy haulers, and with this set up I don't have to unload the bike to set up camp.

But it will be worth it after you modify your trailer to haul a bike :D

Oh and those wheels were for a front wheel drive car, Dan spent a bit of time finding a 14in wheel that would fit the trailer.
  16. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
  17. wittrrider

wittrrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm interested but my toy fund is bankrupt:lol3

I really can't believe someone hasn't jumped on this yet, seems like a deluxe item for the job. GLWS:freaky
  19. wittrrider

wittrrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot I had these pictures, I meant to post them up last August.
    We stayed at a funky campground in Canon City Colorado last summer, and they had all these vintage campers you could rent, some of them were in great condition.

The station wagon was in the back and not for rent, but still cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ACR likes this.
  20. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer: