Got a cool watch? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Jungle Jim, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Censport

Censport Vendor

Oddometer:
    I've got a Capri-series chrono (1-1618G); picked it up from one of those Miami-based websites for US$77 last year. It's done very well for me so far. Very handsome, no quality issues. Kind of wish I had gotten the 1-1618C for the bracelet, as the lug length, width (19mm) and bar depth makes it impossible to fit anyone else's bracelet. The leather strap is formed to wrap around the wrist. It's stiff at first, but fine once broken in. Best of all, not one, but two young female customers have complimented me on it.

[​IMG]

Also bought a $10 generic sports strap for days when I need a little more flexibility.

[​IMG]
  2. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no desire to join a watch forum and sift through the blather....AND...I do consider the ADV community to be the best when it comes to real advise.....so.......

I have two automatics that I alternate wearing, leaving one lie fallow for perhaps a month or two at a time while I daily wear the other or if I take my Casio Protek on adventures were abuse is expected.

The two watches are a Submariner that I've had for ~14 years and a fairly new Speedmaster. What can I say, I like the classics :lol3

What is the opinion on the long term effect leaving a watch unwound...not running...for an extended period...as oppossed to getting a winder to keep it on? I don't mind having to set it and get it started, because I wear in streaks, not daily changes. I'm just curious about the affect on timing and frequency of service requiremnts....
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Good question. I have a hand winding watch and I only ever wear it for a day, so my auto watch won't stop in the meantime :-).
  4. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    ScottDill

If you go back a few pages you will see a pic of my 1975 Seiko and a little write up about the family / personal history of it.

Its 37 years old, never had a proper service, has had water in it, I seldom worn, i got it out last week. in 24hrs and 5 mins it lost 103 seconds. tomorrow night (my time) I shall check it after 1 week of regular wear and see what the difference (and I shall post here)

this watch has been kept in a box of stuff, for many years, moved around a few times but definitely not cared for.

I don't know if its of use / interest to you but its kinda along similar lines to what you are asking.

I would say that as long as it runs out its spring tension it would be fine, if you stop it for long periods and the spring is under tension then I would suspect that the spring would take on a set and and become less consistant. :ear

Hay Ewe
  5. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    The differences between the two essentially amount to convenience to you, the theory being that the oils gum up moreso based on passing time, and the pressures between mechanisms are not large enough to make a tangible difference in oil life. So, keeping it wound down is fine from that perspective. You do, however, have more frequent interaction with the crown, though, which is arguably the greater source of (user-error) damage & trips to the service center. Be vigilant about cross-threading, and understand the guidelines about hacking date, and you'll be fine.
  6. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    This thread is the reason I bought this Seiko self winding military watch. I paid $65 at Amazon for it and added a velcro strap to it. It cost the price of two Timex Expeditions so it's my "good" watch, lol Call me a big spender.

[​IMG]
  7. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    I got this one a few months back. so far it's been within 5 seconds a day not bad for a russian POS
    [​IMG]
  8. xring04

xring04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I have found the watchmaker to fix the watch I picked up for my dad. He is in contact with Omega about getting the correct crown for the old classic. He informed me that it does indeed have a stainless case with a heavy gold top....Meaning that it will buff out perfectly.

The watchmaker spent the better part of an hour and a half on the phone with me and explained how he will service the old watch. (All while disassembling a few Rolexs )

Disassemble, clean, inspect, replace parts as needed.
    New crystal
    Polish the case and bracelet.
    Adjust the movement to COSC specs.

That will run around $250 or so.
    New correct, Omega crown should be around $100.
    Once he gets the word from his man from Omega, I will be sending off the watch. I can't wait.

Pic of the case back I had to send.

[​IMG]

And one of the old pics.

[​IMG]
  9. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My small but growing collection... I'm waiting on a brown leather strap for the beat up Peugeot...I'll be into that one about $10 in the end. I'm also waiting on a blue/white NATO for the Peugeot with the moonphase. The Skagen is exactly as I got it about 5 years ago and working perfectly. The Seiko is on a paracord band that I made so that I could ditch the stock rubber strap. Nothing special at all, but it's a decent start. I've also got a cheap digital Casio, and an HMT Jayanth on their way.
  10. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    So, the Seiko 6105-8110 that I carry on about.

It has been my daily wear for 1 week now (and a pain as well, gets in teh way) and i just stopped it 7days from when I started it. (and the extra 6 mins)

so, 7days is 604,800 secounds, plus the extra 6min (360 secounds) equalls 605,160 secounds.

1 week later the difference was 8min 52 secounds, that is it was 532 seconds slow.

As a percentage that works out as 99.912%.
    now I dont know if thats good or not, seems to me to be ok, but remember the history of the watch and what it has / hasnt done and I think its pretty good!

what are your thoughts?

11. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    This isn't mine, but I have lust in my heart.[​IMG]
  12. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    In a watch that old that's never been serviced the oil drys up and the balance wheel doesn't rotate fully, and the gears drag. You should have it serviced before wearing it anymore, as it is you're wearing it out.
  13. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Think of it as cheap insurance too.
  14. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Oh, I never thought about that but it makes perfect sense - they must have really thin light oil.
    I was only wearing it for the weekend and carried out for the week just to see the amount it slows down by. I couldn't wait to take it off, whilst I enjoyed wearing it, it didn't enjoy wearing it so much really.

Now to find a good facility in AUS (preferebaly) that can do it.

Thanks
    Hay Ewe
  15. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:

+1, I didn't know that Hanhart was making a replica. I see that it's limited to 2500 pieces. Price isn't ridiculous ... hmm ... Thanks for posting that ... damn this thread ... :lol3

I have been jonesing for that Steve McQueen watch real bad, and was super bummed to find out that they only made 500 or so of them. Found some stuff on the web, mostly on a German site, of that watch and some similar pieces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Glashutte:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contemporary Tutima:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    Here is a thread where the OP talks about his modified Hanhart Russian replica (and where you might be able to find one if you were so inclined) ... beautiful. Plexiglas dome crystal really works well on this piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which, incidentally, led me to this Stowa beauty ...

[​IMG]
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    If I were you, I'd consider getting a new watch - maybe a thermo-compensated quartz? 10 secs/yr is realistic (but 5secs possible) which equates to an accuracy of 0.0000317% - and no more setting calendars ever again.
  18. maalstroom

maalstroom Ferret Legger

Oddometer:
    It's not always about accuracy. That's a classic.
  19. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Re: Hanhart Replicas. Here's an eBay listing for one of the Russian versions.

And a couple of days ago I read about an Hanhart hommage from Sinn, I believe. But I can't find it anymore.
  20. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Just in : Prometheus Recon 5. Sapphire front and back, Unitias movement, leather band, stainless steel case.
    [​IMG]

close up of the decorated Unitas movement.. Beautiful.
    [​IMG]

on the wrist.
    [​IMG]