She's Here; Sportcity Cube

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by GREY.HOUND, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a PUIG windscreen but I am just slightly too tall for it and the wind directly hits my ear drums and its much louded (even with ear plugs) then it was without the windshield :(

I am 6 foot and I got http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=55990
  2. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ScootTour, do you use a full face helmet? I'm also 6' 1", so that is something I'll consider.

The more I ride it, the more I love it; sounds like everyone else. I did make a small, cosmetic change. I removed the rear fender extension, it just looks wrong.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Baby steps...
  3. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fender extensions look "wrong" on all scooters. The only way to remove the ugly ducktail on my Zuma 125 is to cut it off. The turn signals attach to the top part of it, and the thing is also used as a support to hold other parts of the body together.

When temps get down to below 32 degreesF, the only thing that works for me is leather, plus heated gloves, because I got frostbite in my hands 25 years ago from riding in a snowstorm without any gloves (long stupid story)

What year is your scooter? The only ones I can find are 2009 models. Since reading so many positive things about it, I have about decided on one as my "freeway legal" scoot.
  4. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    2009 sportcity cube 250
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine came without the fender extension.:D

In case anyone is interested, I stopped by my Aprilia dealer (European Motorsports, Dahlonega, GA) on Sunday and they had a brand new 2008 Sport City 250 on the showroom floor. They are asking $3495.
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it safe to buy a scooter that old? I mean one year old is one thing, but I'd be worried about deterioration after 4-5 years sitting on the floor. I've seen new ones listed on their site, but no dealers seem to have them. Anybody know what's up?

Not looking for a cross country scooter, just something with limited freeway capability. The maxis are more than I can handle, I'd rather have a 750cc size motorcycle for long distance. Much less awkward feeling for me.
  7. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do wear a full faced the vast majority of the time.
    The wind noise increases with the screen and normally I wouldnt mind that much but I have read that wind noise is the leading cause of hearing loss on long term riding which is why its good to wear earplugs even with a fullfaced and even when not going fast which I do most of the time.
  8. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    aprillia has a surplus of the 2009 models that have been sitting in wearhouses. Some are in better condition then others, mine was basically flawless but I have seen some in show rooms with exterior body parts not on well and even rust on some screws. I think its a valid concern but they are selling them pretty cheap to be fair.
  9. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I'm officially licensed in California now, woo hoo. I was a little nervous after the first few questions. I'm quite studious and found some of them not quite "covered" in the CA Motorcycle handbook, nor the MSF safety course.

I was even more nervous while taking the refresher (required) on my class C license. In the end, common sense ruled and I missed only 1 on each.

But still questions like 'You can be fined and spend up to 1 year in prison for which of the following?' Dropping a dead animal or abandoning a live animal on the highway, parking in a bike lane, parking in a Handicapped space. Or, what is the maximum sentence for repeat drinking and driving. Some crazy stuff line that.

On that note, it was kind of rainy here Friday and Saturday. I managed to get some local trips in. Here are a few pics. I guess eventually I'll start a ride report for sharing my hometown and the local area.

Oh, and I have some accessories on the way.

About 5 minutes from my house
    [​IMG]

It was still chilly and gray Sunday morning and the Park was empy but for me and a husband and wife taking a walk.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and 3 miles from my house, is this 3 mile stretch of road. Right along the San Joaquin River
    [​IMG]

The Mansion which was Kearney's home, is now a museum.
    [​IMG]
  10. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I got my top box the other week along with bar end weights (which proceeded to fall off on my first real excursion). The Puig windscreen should be here by Friday and I just ordered another set of bar end wieghts. Only one fell off so I'll have an extra should I ever need it. I also got some good advice as to how better install them.

I must say though, I'm really enjoying this thing. Had my first real ride the other day. A buddy of mine has a Suzuki GS500 so he took me on a ride he regularly does into the local foothills/mountains. We were going up to one of the local lakes, along the open widing roads but weather told us to turn back about 20 miles from our destination. The potential of an hour's ride home in rainy 40 degree weather didn't sound appealing. That's Ok, there's more to come I'm sure. I'll get some pics posted when the new stuff gets installed.

Thanks again for everyone who has posted about how much fun scootin' can be.
  11. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Just recently added an Aprilia OEM 35L Top Case and backrest, Arpilia Bar End Weights, and a Puig City Touring Windsreen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greyhound, can I assume based on the new pics that the puig screen does not interfere with the US turn signals? I see where even the AF1 website states there may be interference with the US model turn signals. I was recently considering a SC250, but the lack of good fitting windscreens sort of changed my mind. I like a tall full windscreen and the Slipstreamer Scoot models seem to be the only ones available and I don't think they are rated for high speed work. If the puig sends the airflow to the top of my helmet (5'10") I would probably ok with it. The puig is a good looking screen.
  13. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    correct no interference with turn signals the AF1 site seems a bit misleading I guess they are just trying to cover their ass.

I have that exact screen but for me at 6' the wind noise is a direct hit on my ears making a driving experience less windy over all but louder overall as well and I like to keep my hearing. That said I think a laminar lip might work to get a little extra hieght.
  14. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% about the noise. Less windy overall, but there is more noise. I'm 6'1" and I do where a full face helmet. To be honest, the noise doesn't really kick in until about 50mph.

Question: If I adjust the angle and or height of the screen, will that affect wind noise? I'll try to play around some more with it.
  15. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to adjust it higher but it didnt make a difference.

My concern about wind noise is that I understand that over time that can cause unrepairable hearing lose that is slow and grandual kind of like my smoking.

The SC is my 'car' so I ride it often thus such things are more a concern for me.
  16. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear ear plugs every time I ride. Anyone who doesn't will likely lose some hearing over time. I have never owned a bike or helmet that wasn't noisy at higher speeds.
  17. Chindog

Chindog Old Guy

Oddometer:
    I tried wearing earplugs, but they blew out every time I wore my half helmet.

Huh? What did you say?

:D
  18. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    yeah, I had a chance to do some more adjusting and riding today and it didn't make much difference. I have it angled as close to vertical as possible and no difference. I'll have to wear earplugs. Still, it is very comfortable from a wind buffetting standpoint.
  19. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure what the "magic" was with my zuma set-up but it worked better for wind and buffeting management than any set-up I have ever had including an FJR1300 with a barndoor sized screen and all kinds of adjustment including angle and height. As you can see the zuma screen was close to the rider and rather straight up but it flat out worked. Pretty sure if I was a smoker I could have smoked behind it. Maybe it was because I could only go 55 mph? One big difference between you all and I is that 90% of the time I wore a half helmet with that scooter.

[​IMG]
  20. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Here are some pics from today's ride. The weather has been sunny the past week or so, temps in the mid-high 60's. In about a month, these fields and hills will be covered with wildflowers. What you can't really tell from these pictures is the elevation change. This was at the base of the Sierra Nevada foothills so it I had a nice leisurely up and down twisty ride. Had I fillowed the road 20 miles farther east, I would have been at an elevation of 5500' and not far from the closest ski resort (another 30 miles @ over 7000'). All of that for another time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]