New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Hi-Flo makes the KTM filters.. they are the same just not orange in color. You should just order a batch of them to have on hand for the future. an order of 5 pairs would set you up for quite a few miles of riding. The hi-Flo filter is usually half the price of the KTM branded one.

Another price comparison...those twin foam air filters we like to run:

KTM retail..orange color with KTM logo: $80
    Generic Green foam with relevant logo: $50 to $60
    parts Unlimited with black foam and no logo: whole sale about $6.
  2. NovaMoto

NovaMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TPS values on the 11 are different from all other years. Your numbers are the same as mine +/- .1-2.

I havent been able to confirm the numbers anywhere. The 2010 manual doesn't have the proper settings for the 2011. I've asked KTM for the numbers but even my mechanic couldn't tell me what they should be. He said his scan/adjust tool just tells him when he has it right.

3. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    OH what a difference !!!! :clap

Original owner farkled up my 690 with a 15/50 setup. While great for road use, it left wide open gaps that made off road riding rather cumbersome. A simple drop to a 14 was the key ingredient - really turned this bike around. Pulls really hard throughout, power wheelies like it should (I needed this for fun factor), and you can actually ride off road in 1st and 2nd, little buzzy at +60 but tolerable

Another great addition was the handle bar mounted Leo Vince timing retard switch.

My club was burning in some very tight single track for an upcoming event, trails that I should have used my 520 or 250 for - but used the 690 for testing purposes, just to see if larger CC bikes could tackle it. Plus I wanted to test out the new gearing combo. Mode 3 proved to be challenge for serious off road, even stalled a few times on some really difficult areas. Mode 1 was my saving grace, cuts the power ( for less than optimum grip areas), but really turned the 690 into a tractor. Never stalled once after that, powered up very difficult uphills, turned it into a great mountain goat. Only problem was, you have to cut the engine to change modes = minor

I was losing faith with this bike, almost thinking the 500 EXC route instead, but a few simple changes made me a believer. Think I'll keep it for a little while :evil
  4. kingby

kingby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads Up!

I can't find the Hi Flo set for the 2012 anywhere. Hi Flo website shows it in the catalog, but I can't find it for sale yet (I think it is a new release product as the 2012 short filter changed???).
  5. jmp5us

jmp5us MY DUDE!

Oddometer:

i used solid bar, alot simpler to work with, and much stronger. I debated how high to mount the bags, but this seems to work fine so far. but only time will tell... i can always pull them off and with a few minutes with a drill move the angle of them, or raise them up
  6. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    Hey wiswoodsguy, got any pics or more info on this. Sounds like a very useful mod.
  7. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    I know this has been beat to death in this thread, so here goes (Again)

I got 2000 miles out of my stock MT21's - pretty good most of you will say. They were great off road and decent on the road - just that they wore down quite quick, as most of you already know.

My question is< what size tire can I put on the 690 rim other than the stock ?? Ive been finding better deals on some 120's, but didnt know how it would effect the characteristics of the bike (handling, speedo, etc)

Looking at tires is about as much fun as shopping for window treatments with the wife. They all claim that they are great, but in the real world most of them suck for the purpose that you truly need them for.

A lot of you say to just buy cheaper tires, wear them out, replace - instead of buying a hefty tagged tire. Not sure which route I want to go.

So far my Choices are:
    MT21 (again)
    Scorpion
    ED04 (120 size)
    AC10 (120)
    TC60 (120)

Any input ???
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You haven't got the Dunlop 606 listed, and that's probably the best comparison to the MT21 - slightly longer lasting (IMO).

The ED04 and AC10 are both enduro tyres, whereas the MT21 and D606 are street legal knobbies - you'll get bugger-all mileage from an enduro tyre on a 690, especially if doing some transport legs on bitumen or hard gravel - they're also a bit skittish at speed.

The Pirelli 'Scorpion' is a whole group of tyres, from the dual-sport Scorpion Trail to enduro tyres like the Scorpion Extra-X - characteristics and mileage as expected for each type - the Scorpion Rally is well suited to the 690 - very similar to a TKC80, but cheaper.

I'm currently experimenting with a Pirelli MT43 trials tyre - had the pressure too high initially (20psi) and some excessive wear on central knobs - now running 11psi, and much better - excellent traction on all surfaces - better than anything else I've tried on loose steep rocky hills - nice ride characteristics, even at speed (ie hard charging long dirt roads) - wear will be the only issue - about 1,000km so far ...

PS: I'm not sure what a TC60 is ...
  9. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I REALLY like the Moto Z tractionator tires. DOT approved (if that matters) and available in 140 width read. I got 3700 miles out of the rear while doing the TAT last year. Decent price on them, too. YMMV

Luke
  10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are three Motoz Tractionators - you mean the Tractionator Desert H/T ... ?

If so, are you running the 130/90-18 ... ?

Or the 140/80-18 ... ?
  11. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Tractionator Desert H/T. I've been running the 140/80-18.
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    There are various Tractionators, with that mileage I assume you are talking about the Desert H/T?

I haven't tried one yet, but they get similar reviews to the Michelin Deserts, tough and long lasting, with medium grip. The Deserts cost about 2.5x more over here, though. :eek1
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    The choice is interesting.

Both 130/90 and 140/80 have the same rolling circumference (364) - according to Motoz, the wider and flatter 140/80 has bigger knobs to accommodate high-speed heavier bikes and better straight-line stability - the 130/90 is tighter and more agile ...

I'll try these tyres, as everyone seems to like them ...

Had thought that the 140/80 was better suited to bigger bikes than the 690 - had also thought that there might be issues with the 690s 2.5" rim - but obviously not if you're running them - could you post a pic ... ?
  14. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    where ya gettin them from ??

I did not see one listed at my stealer (they use PU), Bobscycle, or RMatvmc

RM - did not have a 606 rear listed, which would have been a choice

the Stealer (I get a 20% disc) was at 150 for the 606, 137 for the scorpion (DOT 140 size) and 141 for the stock MT21. The other 2 were 120 sized tires

Maybe a little info first. I mainly ride gravel/dirt fire lanes with pavement transitions. Lately, Ive sampled (on a baldish MT21) some techy single track with rocks, mud, uphills, roots, off camber. Occasionally the wife & I double up and hit the road, have done some 200 mile days but not too often.
  15. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    I run this tire on the Rear in this size for mostly dirt type riding with a Michelin Desert front.
    I run a set of Heidenau K60 for more true DS riding, where I ride pavement to an area to ride some dirt sections.
    Sometimes I'll run a MT21 front if they are available verses the Michelin Desert.
    I dont like the MotoZ Tractionator Front at all. It doesn't seem to bite and just skimms the surface with little traction.
    YMMV.
  16. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunlop 908 Rally raid 140/80/18 hands down is my New fav:clap
    Just did 1200 miles in Baja and it still looks new!
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any pics of that 140/80 rear ...

Consider the 130/90 ... ?
  18. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really considered going with the 908 for the TAT but the Tractionators are less than half the price.

If I could figure out how to post pics I'd put some up here.
  19. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    MotoZ HT Dessert tread profile compacts loose earth for excellent traction, holds off camber sections very well, has a very good rubber compound, and will outlast a 908. The 140 is an excellent profile for the 690, but if some one has a 130, it will work fine. When I sold my 690, my dessert HT had 1800+ miles of road & hard rocky off road use and there was plenty of tread left. Compound holds well on asphalt too. Cant say enough about them. Only problem is that importer is back ordered. The next shipment wont be here for a month:eek1. Once they get the container unpacked, they will go pretty fast since there are a back orders to fill.

pics: http://www.motoz.com.au/shop_prods.asp?CatID=166
  20. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    What sort of pressure do you run in the rear offroad ... ?