New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Phang

Phang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you go :deal

[​IMG]
    dbyker likes this.
  2. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    The leaking oil blown back under the floor and chassis has protected (and saved) many a British sports car. :clap
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    You've seen this site no doubt, here are their scrambler pipes, if you can afford them!:deal http://www.w650shop.de/Scrambler/scrambler.html
  4. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phang, thanks for the info on the compression test. I think I'm in pretty good shape, after 25000 miles both cylinders read above 180psi. My service manual does have that information, must of had brain fade, it's on page 3-17, thanks again.
    Rich
  5. rheritage

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have been to that site, thanks. Those pipes are too steep for me, about half of what the bike cost me.

Not many aftermarket mufflers available, do you know if any of the Yamaha XS650 pipes or mufflers can be modded to fit the W650?

Rich
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am really wanting to make a florida sand road bike out of mine for when I want to go. The pipes would not be required but would add a cool factor 10! Let me know if you come up with something on that. You are going to love that little bike.
    Barry
  7. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why dont you look around locally for a muffler shop that can bend the pipes for you? It couldn't possibly be more expensive than those off the shelf numbers. Here in Boise we have a muffler shop with some talented guys with nice machinery that do that sort of stuff - and Boise is a pretty small burg.
  8. eric123

eric123 Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer:
    And they are? :ear
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello again fellow W owners. I have a desire to use my W on the sand roads in central and northeast florida. I am certain it will handle and perform magnificiently. Possibly a shock upgrade and progressive springs may be in order in the rougher terrain. My question is, has anyone else done any of this? My second question is, which dual sport tires would be best for street and sand road use. I know...it is always a compromise.
    Barry
    Webman likes this.
  10. rheritage

Oddometer:
    Barry,

The problem is finding a matched set with the W650's 19" front and 18" rear. Most of the good Dual Sport tires have the 19" front tire but all the good rear tires are the 17" size. So far the only sets I've been able to locate are the Chinese manufacturers, not saying their bad I just have no experience with them. Good Luck on your search and I'll keep you posted if I find anything new.

Rich
  11. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eric123, check out Ammermans Custom Exhaust @ 4600 Chinden in Garden City. That's a good shop to know about. Owner is a biker. Speaks our language.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rich. I was beginning to see that pattern. Plenty of good 19 choices but limited 18's.
    B
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's she lookin'? I'd like to see your bike sometime. We are fairly close. I will be announcing some flat track races in Savannah around bike week time.
    Barry
  14. MelloFellow

MelloFellow n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I was considering a set of rearsets as I will mount drag bars on my 2000 W for the spring and wanted to get any wisdom someone may have on how useful/comfortable they may be?

I have seen some info on Raask and BEET sets and it appears the BEET rearsets are less agreesive and perhps more useable.
  15. rheritage

Oddometer:
    Barry,

She's comming along nicely, still need to polish the engine cases, rims and spokes and get the new tires installed. Ordered the Bikemaster Euro and Superbike bars, see which ones fit best, also ordered some bar end mirrors. I still need to remove the air screw caps and get them adjusted to 3.5 turns out and install a new air filter.

Problem is wife really likes this bike out of all of them and I might end up setting it up for her. I guess that's better than have her ask to ride my mint 1972 BMW R75/5, which I would have to say No Way!

If you're ever up Savannah way let me know and I'll do the same if I head down towards Daytona.

Rich

Attached Files:

16. rheritage

Oddometer:
    This is a pic of my R75/5

Attached Files:

17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I've got the Euro bars and Napoleon bar ends on my '01, very happy with that setup.

Comfortable, and can see well out of the mirrors. Everything fit with no need for longer cables.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Rich. I will be in Savannah March 4th and 5th announcing some pro flat track stuff. Maybe we can get together there. Not sure if I am riding or not at this time. That is the beginning of my bike week marathon of like 8 days of announcing in a row. The bike looks fantastic. Spokes are the only surface on those bikes that they didn't raise the quality bar on. They should have been stainless for sure. Love the /5. I almost bought a seriously nice old one owner /6 with 39k miles and a windjammer fairing up at the BMWNEF rally this weekend. Still might. It was beautiful.
    Barry
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think MEFO's are available in a dual sport tire for the W's sizes. Anybody have any experience with them?
    Barry
  20. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:

Avon Distanzia, 100/90/19 front and 120/90/18 rear are available here - I have these on my airhead.