Enfield custom scrambler project

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by MIOB, Jun 7, 2012.

1. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back when that bike was new, we used to use Trials Universal treaded tyres for offroad combined with road use.
  2. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    I've been out for too long it seems. Looking forward to your restore. Let me know if you need help with any parts :thumb
  3. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Your Enfield is great inspiration!

At this moment I've been trying to start the bike for a few days. Evrything should be right, but I can't get any life form the engine :S
  4. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    It turned out to be a whole bunch of problems why it didn't start, so the one-thing at a time thing didn't help at all... But she runs now. The Idling is perfect, but without choke it stalls the second I touch the throttle, so still some work to do...

I made an exhaust, took a bit of a risk with the placement of the muffler: straight in front of the rear shock. I'll have to see if it gets too warm.

[​IMG]

I'll be getting in some aluminum fenders tomorrow (hopefully) and am thinking about ordering Heidenau K60's as allroad tires. They're a bit expensive though.
  5. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made some progress...

Last night I did my second test ride in the local woods. I 'discovered' some issues:
    - The Avon Speedmaster sucks on road, off road it is horribly, horribly bad. The rear tire is mostly just scary on the road ;).
    - Duh-issue 2: It needs a frontfender, especially off road.
    - I knew vibration + metal is bad, but I didn't expect my 1 x 0.5 cm steel bar that holds my license plate to break. I found the plate back luckily.

But, all in all, I had a fantastic time thumbing through the woods!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll be going for Heidenau K60 tires. I'll find a better way to attach the license plate and I'll try to get the front fender on this weekend.

:clap
  6. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike is looking good, I would go for some Mitas, Maxxis, or Heidenau K60 tyres. Also I would think about strengthening your rear fender/mudguard....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap
  7. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you :)

Some great examples you've posted there! I'm surprised to see they all removed the neutral lever, I'm finding it very handy.

And yes, the rear fender does need some strengthening, but I haven't decided how yet. I usually dislike the big brackets going all around the fenders on scramblers/trial bikes, but they look fine on the examples you've posted.

The tires is a matter of availability too. I know I can get the Heidenau K60's, but they are relatively expensive (97,- per wheel including fitting the tires).
  8. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the way, love the tank in the second photo. Any clue where it's from?
  9. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:

A neutral is the last thing you want/need whilst in the middle of a trials section :wink:

Keep up the good work - nice little project :clap
  10. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for an update. I bought a more classic seat and most notably: I swapped the tires. It turns out that very old Avon Speedmasters don't do that well off road, go figure.

The bike is now on Heidenau K60's. I took it for a ride in the snow today and it was fantastic. Such an enjoyable bike!

[​IMG]
  12. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Mikehusa

Mikehusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!!!