Ural Tires....

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by kliff, Jun 11, 2007.

1. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:
    What's been some of y'alls experiences with tires on the Ural GU or Patrols, 80% pavement, 20% fire roading?
    OEM Uralshinas
    Duros
    Those German enduro "hgh dollar" tires....

So far I can't complain about the OEMs, but I'd like to better understand my options when the time comes.:D
  2. sprintstrider

sprintstrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uralshinas cheap.....6000kms rear, 16500 kms front, working on the car tire at 17500kms.

Ride mostly 99% street, the snow was rough with the Uralshinas...not enough tread left...

I just got new German high dollar tires mounted...so far awesome. Worth the money, they have not shown any wear yet at +2000kms and they have a much more aggressive tread pattern. :clap

I have some others I got from Wag's, haven;t had them mounted yet...will after the German tires are gone.
  3. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:
    Those German Universals may be the way to go then....
    800km on the OEMs, and the pusher is showing 1/8" of wear already. 4K will probably be it's limit.
  4. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I have tried them all, I really like the high buck German Enduro tires, they work well on and off road. I got 7,203 kilometers out of the pusher before I had to replace it, that's 3 to 4 times the mileage I was getting out of the Russian knobys. :deal
  5. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....so that would be almost twice what I can expect out of a U'shina...at not quite twice the price.....so that would sem to even out nicely.
    Looks like I might be opting for the GHDE's too, when the time comes.
  6. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    I`m using the stock Ural 'street' tyres rather than the full on knobblies.

Up to now I`ve had 9,000km from a new set on my 650 without being half worn.
    That`s pure street use but sometimes with three people and lots of camping gear.

The new set on my 750 seem to be lasting for about 5000km at the rear but the other two are hardly worn.

What pressures are you guys running ???

I`m on 44psi when loaded.
  7. llirttoc

llirttoc Adventure life

Oddometer:
    Just last week I put the spare tire on at 3000 klicks. That's 80% on road, and the rest dirt roads and trails in Ohio. First swap, I traded the pusher for the hack and now the spare for the pusher. Now shopping for a new tread. Any one tried a duel sport tire designed for the front on the back or side car on a Ural?
  8. kliff

kliff Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer:

I'm running 40psi rear, 36psi front and hack
  9. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Stock tires last only about 3000 km on the pusher, pretty dissappointing. I jsut bought Heidenau's as replacements, expensive tires, hope they last a lot longer than the stock set!
  10. swoody126

swoody126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk

as a NOOB, on a rig that came w/ hiney-doo's, mounted & a set of partially used stockers, i am interested in the results folks are having

i have only ridden about 400 klicks, on the hiney-doo's, & haven't found any reason to be unhappy w/ them

they sure like playing on maintained garvelle roads

haven't had any time on wet roads, yet

sw
  11. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    WHat are the high dollar German tires?
    DAVE
    Iron_Sam likes this.
  12. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    K60's ???????
    If so I run them on both my solo"s and get well over 10,000 miles out of them.I'm putting a rear on my hack this winter.
  13. tbird649

tbird649 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heidenau K37's I think
  14. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just mounted up my Patrol with the Kenda 335's. They are aggressive tires. I like them so far with 400+ Km's.
  15. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy with 4k (miles) from a pusher-knobbie. Is the H-tire about the most 'aggressive' available?
    Jim
  16. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the worst things that I encountered with my 06 Patrol was the Russian tubes. I had to check the air every time out. I acquired K37 tires and Japanese tubes. Air check is one a week.
    These tires are great.
  17. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    The Heidanau's work great and last a lot longer, I mean a LOT longer. Did I mention that they last longer?
  18. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    please throw some numbers on the table.

i have 27,000 klicks on my rig.
    I bought four new tires (Duro's) the day i bought it (used rig) with approx 6400 klicks on it. they were badly worn (Uralshinas).
    I put on three (the side car wheel became the spare) and rotated the new sidecar and pusher every 5000 klicks and left the unmounted one in storage.
    i put the stored Duro tire on the front on at 17,000 klicks and had severe cupping on it.
    So i put it on the rear pusher and bought a new one for the font that I put on at 22500 klicks.

I expect to need new tires next spring and wonder how does that compare to Heidanau's.
    I am looking at a very low milleage Tourist with duros on it, that i might simply put "street tires on" righ away and store these duros.

what are you paying for your hendinau$
  19. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    heidinau's cost me just over 300 Canadian for 2, not cheap. If you are doing a lot of road, the uralshina's are about the same as far as cost effectiveness. I ride fairly aggressively and the stock tires lasted 3000km on the pusher, I replaced the pusher and hack tires with the Heidenau tire and 3000km later see very little wear. They are noisier though, as they are Knobbys. We are very limited in our options for tires, these were the best for my riding style and the terrain I ride. Your experience will vary ! One other thing, the Heidenau's are very stiff in the sidewall, it took a lot of force to install them on a cool evening in the garage.
  20. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tires, does anyone here use Ride On tire sealant? I have a new 2019 Gear Up which should be arriving within a week and plan on putting Ride On in all 3 tires. In past years, I've had excellent results in using it in my ST1300/A and Gold Wing.