The MZ Baghira Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by TellicoADVTrail, Feb 2, 2007.

1. BigHairy

BigHairy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my 05 Baggy with a bunch of Touratech stuff on it. I have SM and Enduro wheels and switch back and forth occasionally. (like when a bunch of spokes broke in the back of the 18" rear) You can't really see it in these pictures, but I installed the Touratech 2l fuel can on the inside (opposite from muffler) side of the left pannier. It HAS come in handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the rear trunk "electrified" with a bunch of products from www.powerlet.net and often run heated gear, GPS, Sattelite radio, and keep my phone charged. I have been real happy with the bike with no real problems other than ones I created by trying to do deep sand with SM wheels. (front fender snaps right off just so you know) I do need to either extend the exhaust exit to keep the soot off the bag or just build a custom muffler. I had a M4 originally on it but it would not clear with the bag mounts.

BigHairy
  2. TellicoADVTrail

TellicoADVTrail If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice one BigHairy!
  3. TellicoADVTrail

Oddometer:
    BTW, we need a picture of that auxilliary tank mount.
  4. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Can You supersize that?

Oddometer:
    New baggy owner with pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Faulpelz

Faulpelz Offroader

Oddometer:
  6. TellicoADVTrail

Oddometer:
  7. Taipan

Taipan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any Baggi owners still about? Even MZRiders seems to haev little Baghira owner traffic these days? I just recently picked up an 02 Baggi. Fitted a BSM Vampire exhaust to it but its stock apart from that.
  8. CasterTroy

Oddometer:
    I'm still around :evil
  9. tigerboy

tigerboy Tight as a Tiger

Oddometer:
    Yup, it's still my principle bike, the one I love riding the most :clap

There's so much I have yet to learn about riding ......

While I'm here, I went down exactly a year ago due to a sucky front tire, so I'm still in the market for a right mirror. Too bad MZ parts are so hard to find, I've been checking eBay for a whole year now :eek1 But I love my Baghira.

There was a Yellow Baghira on eBay a few weeks ago, with a Bag system I would LOVE to have had. It was the nice solid Pelican hard cases, but what was special here, the owner had formulated his own side and top rack, welded it together. It was a custom job and looked slick. No wonder his bike sold easily.
  10. Taipan

Taipan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well taht 3 of us rthat are ina different class! :D

Tigerboy, have you approached a local fabricator? Be quite easy to have something made up using your grab rail mounting points or even brackets for one of the after market set ups to bolt onto your grab rail. Soem of teh top kits have universal clamps on and I'm sure using a a few bars and suitable clamps you could get one to fit mcGyver stylee!

My front disc had some play in it and would rattle as you hit a bump etc. There was almost 2mm movment between the disc and carrier which isn't good. I was told an R1 disc (99-02) fits okay so I had a look on ebay nd bagged a brand new one for £46 delivered! [​IMG] I put it on the bike on saturday and yes it went straight on, but i had some trouble getting the caliper back on and it to really push it against the wheel to get it back into position! But it is on and working fine and seems to all line up okay now its on there. Anyone else fitted a R1 disc? Was your clearance when refitting the caliper an issue?
  11. CasterTroy

Oddometer:
    I'm riding with the MUCH improved and much cooler looking mirrors from a KTM 950SM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks a LOT better and plentiful
  12. Taipan

Taipan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that is sweet! Looks more up todate too! I've got to swap out my bars for narrower ones as the OEM ones are just too wide when lane splittiing into London. Might see if I can find some KTM mirrors too.
  13. MSW1

MSW1 Lost and Confused

Oddometer:
    You are not alone....

I'm still out there riding my MZ Black Panther every day. Haven't taken a picture of her for a while, but here's one from our trip to Death Valley a year or so ago:

[​IMG]

That pic is of the dual sport kit, but I have the SM wheels as well (it was originally the SM model). I absolutely love this bike. With both sets of wheels, there isn't a better all-around bike to own. Sure, I might own another bike someday, but I'll never get rid of this one.

It really needs to be put up for a few weeks to fix some little things (oil seepage from a case bolt that stripped out, take apart and lube the rear shock/links, new sprockets/chain, etc.). Hope to get that stuff taken care of at some point this summer.

Glad to hear there are still some Baggies out there kicking!
  14. MZfan

MZfan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Im new here but I've been a lurker for many years. I have wanted a baghira for a while. I cant wait to get one and post my pic here. You guys have some good looking MZ's. :huh
  15. tigerboy

tigerboy Tight as a Tiger

Oddometer:
    WOW, I like your bag system on that. Is that all off-the-shelf?

Nice and compact. While I'm happy with my top bag, by the time I strap on my tent, sleeping back, knapsack and cot (on trips that I camp), doesn't leave a whole lot of space for me :lol3

Plus the KTM mirrors look slick, but probably aren't cheap either. :norton
  16. CasterTroy

Oddometer:
    Track Baggy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. dirt_diggler

dirt_diggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 2003 Baghira. I'm pretty stoked about it. I've been riding a 1983 Yamaha XT550 for the last year and had been looking for a bigger thumper to do daily duty. I never could get the XT carburetion right and at 5000 RPMs it would almost always mis-step- causing the bike to lurch and sputter- sometimes leaving me heading into oncoming traffic a few feet behind where I'd planned to be- NOT a good feeling. I think I'll keep the XT for more off-road centric adventures, but I'm really happy to step into the 21st century and have something a bit more refined.
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From </td></tr></tbody></table>

Here's the XT

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td><table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From glenwood and back</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From glenwood and back</td></tr></tbody></table>
  18. dirt_diggler

dirt_diggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to get a set of Enduro wheels to throw on this bike. Does anyone know where I can find some?
  19. CasterTroy

Oddometer:
    Watch ebay...you can also try the UK ebay site

Also watch the MZriders.com site

On MZriders there was also a post about OLD KTM 18" enduro wheels fitting
  20. gabraham

gabraham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im looking for 18 rear 21 rims for my baggy!