Honda PCX 150

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Southerner, Jun 17, 2012.

1. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't done the valve adjustment yet. All of the bodywork will need to come off soon to finish diagnosing the damage from my collision with the dog that I hit so I will do it then.
  2. Castle

Castle Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer:
    I took mine to the dealer. They adjusted the valves and changed the oil. A lot easier than hitting a dog and removing the body work. :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Are the maintenance intervals 2,500 miles? That doesn't sound very economical...
  4. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to say that there is a possibility of a misprint in the manual. Seeing as the oil change interval is listed as 5,000 miles for regular 5w30.

I would wait a little bit and see how many people really need their valves adjusted at that interval.
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I checked on the PCX forum and sure enough, the valves have to be inspected every 2,500 miles. Doesn't make too much sense to me...
  6. Paks13

Paks13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    today i went to a dealer in Miami, the new PCX150 cost 3500, but with the all taxes and charges, they count me around 4800-5000. Too much.

I has this ne in Thailand have a year ago, and it cost there 2500
  7. ripcuda

ripcuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yo Fellow Adventure Scooterists. First time poster... long time reader.

Been reading reviews about the new PCX 150 and folks personal take on it... but wasn't until yesterday that I finally got to see one. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. My local dealer had a red one next to a Zuma 125.

Looks pretty well made and well thought out. Sorta like a smaller version of my SilverWing. My only gripes would be the seat and the floorboards. The sloped seat with the built in buttrest doesn't allow sliding back for legroom like the large flatter Zuma seat. And the footing department seemed a little cramped. The floorboards are narrow offering limited positions for my large size 11's (could use some highway pegs). But I still really like it and am eager for Spring to test ride one. I'm starting to think my huge SilverWing is overkill for my commuting duties.

Love reading owners reports and stories. Keep'em coming!

Cheers!
  8. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're paying anymore than 4,000 you're being taken for a ride. You should be able to get MSRP or slightly above.
  9. lcseds

lcseds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in NC I got a quote from a dealer for $3900 out the door. I then called my regular dealer and they said they would do it for $3980 (after having told them the quote I got from the other dealer).

I would not pay more than $4000 if going in with cash and no trade.
  10. commo_soulja

commo_soulja Supa Thumpa Pilot

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted on this board in quite awhile...

But since I picked up a red PCX 150 yesterday, I had to. Coming from a F650, it's a different fun ride. Found out quick the lean angle limits before parts start to scrap (sidestand?) as I was turning into my neighborhood on the way home. The bike definitely needs a windscreen and a top case which is on order. I bought it to commute to work and use it as a fun simple runaround. Got mine from the local Honda dealer in VB, VA for $3938 OTD.
  11. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine picked up one of these a few weeks ago. Nice little scooter, but the reach to the front brake is not super easy, and her daughter can barely reach it. I was sure it would have an adjustable lever given it's audience, but nothing.

Anyone found a replacement lever for it that has a closer reach to the bars?
  12. miner

miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :Dpurchased a 2013 pcx 150 nov. 2012 have about 500 miles on it now,been riding motorcycles for over 40 yrs smallest 175 to largest last one owned vtx 1800. been looking at scooters online for a cpl yrs now ,had knee replaced and just wasn't comfortable riding at slow speeds and maneuvering such a big bike around.finally started to test ride scooters . thinking about what kind of riding i do most is just to get out and havefun on 2 wheelsnot needing all that power anymore,suprisingly when i took pcx for test ride couldnt believe the power for such a small engine.after purchasing i took it it to mountains up 3 mile summit never did less than 45mph.cruised at speeds around 60 mph handled great for a small bike,wind was gusty that day and did notice how that moved me aroundbut still not all that bad. checked mileage twice so far 87mpg and 90 my weight is 185 .one thing i did do is put givi wind screen on much better keeps wind from beating against your chest so now i cant wait for warmer weather . but when temps reach 45f and its sunny i'm riding somewhere cant wait for warmer weather ,very pleased with purchasing pcx so far
  13. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out various threads on removing the seat hump so you can get more room to stretch out.
  14. miner

miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    had no problems with the seat hump on ride to mountains which is about 65miles oneway,but was looking at seat with hump removed and was thinking about making some sort of backrest that mounts through those 2 holes,had backrest on corbin seat on vtx that was nice
  15. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    How is everybody doing with the valves on these scooters? I almost bought one, but the valves needed to be checked really often, and according to the PCX forum it was a 3 hour job. I went with a Zuma 125 instead. 10 minutes to check the valves, 20 minutes to adjust them. But the down side to the Zuma is it is not freeway legal, which is turning out to be a problem. I recently took a 700 mile round trip on it, and it did fine, but I had to ride 22 miles on the freeway, and it was not fun. I just knew I was going to get busted by the cops.
  16. miner

miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    read one persons article on the valves,after first time he said total took 1 1/2 hrs mostly removing body parts ,doesnt look like much when u get body parts removed,but knowing me i'll just pay someone to do it,i'll let you know how much dealer charges when i get it done first time , then after that i'll take it to local bike shop that i deal with
  17. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Valves I personally haven't checked I opted to skip over the first adjustment at 600 and am now coming up on them at 2,500. I do ride in very cold weather so I imagine heat expansion is probably going to make the adjustment necessary at 2,500.

PCX150 while freeway legal isn't very good at it. Well at least if you live in a state with 70 mph speed limits.

It'll get to about 65 screaming and won't go any faster than 68 on flat ground.

Another I thing I did notice is that if I leave it idling. The lights will flicker occasionally. I did drop it on ice before, but i'm not sure if this is normal or something I should get checked out. Since i've had cars that did the same thing.
  18. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    My problem with the valves on the PCX is that I rack up a lot of miles. Already over 3500 on my Zuma 125. Valves are still fine. Both these scooters have major pros and cons. I would not ride either one on the freeway very far, and I am not talking about urban freeways, which are close to suicide on a liter class sport bike. I mean interstate highways out of town. With the PCX, you can ride on one of those for a few miles and not risk a huge fine. I took a 700 mile round trip on my Zuma 125, and had to ride 11 miles on the freeway on the way there and 11 miles on the way back. I did not feel like I was in any serious danger from traffic (speed limit was 75 mph), but was paranoid about the cops.

Anyway, the way I look at it, the good part of the PCX150 is you can legally hop on a freeway once in a while, the bad part is valve inspection/adjustment. With the Zuma 125, the valves are a piece of cake, but you can't legally get on a freeway with it. I want both.
  19. sendler

sendler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only experience will tell if the PCX valves really change that much. The interval on the CBR250R is 8,000 miles.
  20. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well I like what I see, and since I do not put too many miles on my scooter I don't think I will inspecting the valves more than 2 a year and with our labor cost, well that will not be so expensive even at a dealer (last service for my honda was 25 usd or so)

besides this valve interval, what else is there to watch out? what type of lights does it have? h4? 1 or 2 lights? 35 or 55 watts?

I hope to use it for going to school (I am a professor) and that is 4 mile one way trip with city and some former highway were the legal (not really fallow) speed limit of 35 mph where you will go 40-50.

And knowing me, if this does 50-55 mph as a cruising speed, I will be out exploring more and farther, not afraid to cross into the US and take some back roads...

Also, what accedories are already available? I don't do much to the engine or mechanical things, but I do add stuck to my bikes, so windshields, top racks and the like? Also what is the electrical power on these babies? thinking of extra LED lights or electrical gloves, or a minimal o 12V accessory outlet.

Thanks for your advice,comments and such.

Damasovi

PS I will be buying (hopefully) in 12 months, so you can look for all the real adjustments necessary!