Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. LethPhaos

LethPhaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just a quick reply to let you know I've reached page 100 of the report (reading from page 1 every now and then), and loved every bit of it (except the part where you perform some tarmac-investigating offcourse) :) thanks for taking the time to post and share!
  2. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    RADIOMAN, just so ya know, I don't post every time you do something kool or everytime you post some new pics but I read your post daily and try to follow along on a map. THANKS for taking the time to take pics, upload them, and tell the story to go with them.
  3. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Shaniko to Antelope, super-sized? :D

[​IMG]
  4. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 and at a higher Altitude than the top of Mount hood! :deal
  5. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I do not always have time to Quote and thank everyone for the comments, but i really Appreciate the fact that you are following and enjoying the Ride Report!! :clap :clap I enjoy posting as I go, and knowing others can participate and enjoy is great!!

Thanks for contributing to this thread, as that is what makes them really fun !!
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Don't worry there are many more opportunities as I continue! I need a little gif to post with my jump photos!! :lol3
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Did not know this :deal will check it out, and might have to make the run.
  8. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Wonderful to once again be able to see the places that I won't get to. Thanks for spending all the time it takes to continue to do this. It is much appreciated.
  9. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    That road from Nazca to Cusco can be done in one very long day. There is only one place you can stop to break up the trip, so you wnt to check the weather if you can. It's an awesome ride.

What about Colca Canyon? Are you planning on going?
  10. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Yup was a 9 hour ride, but weather was great and I had a great day! Yes I will ride Canon de Colca after I spend some time in Cusco :clap

It looked like you could find someplace to stay in Chalhuanca or Abancay
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    As I said it was a 400 mile day which I have not done down here yet as there is too much to see and do, but this road was a great ride across the high plains and then down into the river canon to Cusco.

Love the way they cut Mountain roads and ones that travel along the rivers. Fantastic!

I was moving along since I knew it was a long day. Enjoyed the brisk pace and just watching the scenery as I went!!

Some of the ride was blasting along the high plains..... over 13,000 - 14,000 feet. Was about 48 degrees on the top then heated up as I rode into a few of the canons.

I found it a beautiful and great motorcycle road!!

[​IMG]

The photos do not do the vastness and expanse of mountains and sky justice. Really!

[​IMG]

Stopped in one of the towns to keep hydrated. Really important at high altitude!!

[​IMG]

The geology and rock formations changed many times. was really interesting!

[​IMG]

This valley was amazing you can sort of see the switchbacks below..... You drop several thousand feet in a hurry. Roads were wide open except a few trucks...

[​IMG]

Quite a few toll roads..... As a motorcycle you do not need to pay, but it is always a bit strange since there is no big sign or place that tells you to just go around. At one toll both within an hour of Cusco, a guy in the building that is attached to the toll booth, just flagged me to go to the other side of the road and go around. Had a big smile as I circled around, cross the street went around the cones and passed the toll area. Funny.

[​IMG]

Dropped down along a river and huge rock walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dropping down and down again toward Cusco. I knew I would be getting there right at dark.... which I normally try to avoid, but set a reservation in Cusco and knew I would be taking a break there for couple weeks so made sense to get there!

[​IMG]

more rock walls....

[​IMG]

Some changing colors very cool!

[​IMG]

Blasting along the river as the road was cut through the rocks.

[​IMG]

Some fires burning along the mountains...

[​IMG]

As I passed through Abancay then up the steep switchback and another 14K pass..... the sun was going down quick, temps were dropping. But I was smiling the whole way!

[​IMG]

Rolled into Cusco just after 6PM and it was dark. The GPS actually took me within a block of the hostal that I had booked. They were expecting me, had garage space !! Was a great day, now looking forward to some down time in Cusco and exploring the sights, learning some more spanish and seeing Machu Picchu. It is a real tourist destination..... but it will be fun for a couple weeks !
  12. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    :clap Great roads Mark !!! :ricky
    Thanks for sharing...
  13. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

They DO have some big ciggggaarretes in that country.:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to read the ride report and enjoy!
  15. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    Your pics make it loo like it's paved the whole way. It didn't used to be.

p.s. Those llama like animals in the picture are vicunas. They were hunted almost to extiction to make sweaters for gringos in the '50s. Right in that area they figured out how to raise them and get the wool without killing them. It's more complicated that you would imagine.
  16. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh won't I be grilling you for info when I'm ready to embark on my journey :) Thanks for the write up I've been enjoying it since you started. Such a great positive outlook on life and such little rain on your trip what a lucky guy ;)
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Mostly. But some stretches of gravel along the river riding... But it was all good! I thought it was a great ride!
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    feel free! I will help if I can!
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    And I just thought this was it...... But you are right. We live and Learn here in ADV rider!! Thanks Pete

[​IMG]
  20. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Have you tried mate de coca yet?