Is there anything out there that's Alpina-like? (geezer thread)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Thorgrim, Jul 31, 2013.

1. dualindalton

dualindalton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think that's what I meant........that was a long, long, long time ago.
  2. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, still too much trials ergonomics. The Alpina was/is actually comfortable to sit on. Especially for those of us with less than perfect knees.
  3. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mouth is watering. Would buy one of those in a heartbeat. I had a '73 350 and should never have sold it. Thanks.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    get a hold of Hughs Bultaco, or SMOG (Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group)

http://www.bultaco.com/bikes-for-sale.html

http://spanishmotorcycles.org/

they didn't sell by year, but by model. somewhere around 1976 they were converted to left side gear shift. older ones are right side shifters. some can be converted if that matters to you

edit.... wow prices have gone up. Hugh's at one time had NOS wheels, frames, engines, etc the lot.... you could build one from scratch. BTW, the bottom end on the 5 speed models is the same, so you can bolt a 250 jug & head onto a 125 and turn a Pursang into Sherpa with the right parts (well, engine wise anyway)
  5. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could

Oddometer:
    That's my baby you're riding in that nasty old creek! :lol3 What is that, a 1970, '71? Both of mine, the 250 & the 350 looked like that, you really had to look closely to tell them apart if you weren't an Alpina fan. If I could pick just one bike I could kick my own tail over selling, it would be the 350 although it wasn't as reliable as the 250 (the rubber boot/duct between the carb and air box could rupture in hot weather/hard riding and it leaned out the mixture too much, I never found a suitable replacement for the stock part - the 250 didn't have that problem for some reason).

When I have bike money again (soon, I hope, buyers signed a contract on the house) I'll look into the Pampera, seems to be the closest I'll get in a new bike. If I had a place to maintain it properly I'd be looking for an Alpina in good shape. I guess I could just ride the damned thing up the steps to my porch, though. :rofl
  6. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks just like my '73 350. But the fenders look to have been changed, the al ones were hard to keep straight.
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the one I wish I had back was my Matador 250 ISDT replica.... turns out that was a pretty rare bike. I sold/traded it in '74 for a Husky 360 MX with the 2 speed transfer case over the 4 speed gear box. great bike when it ran but the Motoplat ignition kept crapping out (I know, Bulto used Motoplat too, all mine were pre-Motoplat)

looked like this one...

[​IMG]

enclosed chain, leather tool bag, map strip reader, watch holder... it was a true rally bike that won the ISDT a few years.

the example above is missing the can of fix-a-flat.... you could only use what came with the bike on the ISDT (6 Days)
  8. DPelletier

DPelletier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was awesome; my (now ex) wife won the Women's offroad class at the PNWMA for several years on one. Two of her friends bought them as well after we extolled it as the perfect women's offroad bike. I even rode it on a very challenging ride with the local trials club at one point.

It was a 2002 Pampera 250EC and after 5 years, the poor thing was getting worn out and she sold it off and got a brand new KTM 200XC which we had professionally revalved and lowered.

The KTM was a great bike too, but the Pampera just flat out worked better in the really tight, gnarly stuff. The Pampera's suspension and brakes were high end but more trials derived and couldn't take the speed that my son or I could sustain at race pace but for her it was perfect.

The bike was light, low, had decent suspension and brakes (as long as you weren't jumping or pushing it too hard in the fast sections) and best of all, the motor was magic in the uglies. My only gripes were parts availability and some cheezy fasteners (like the sheet metal screws holding on the rad shouds). Keep in mind that the advertised weight was for a street legal (in Europe) bike and we stripped off a box of stuff prepping it for life as an offroad race bike.

Cheers,
    Dave
  9. Thorgrim

Thorgrim Used'ta could

Oddometer:
    I get tickled reading about the supermoto guys talking about their bikes encouraging them to be hooligans. They may be right, but they obviously haven't ridden anything like an Alpina ... and perhaps they shouldn't. Power? No, but unless the PoPo can catch a billy goat with an attitude using a patrol car, the only hold they have over you is your sense of responsibility as a dutiful citizen. That can fade somewhat the moment you realize that most of the landscape is no longer an obstacle. :rofl