The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    just got!!! my very first .223!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is any place near Seattle that has 1000 yards unless it is someone's private range. Trying to remember, but there be something north, or out on the peninsula. Otherwise there is probably something east of the Cascades.

Eatonville has a 600 yard range, and I think Machias has a 500 yard range.

I don't know for certain of any public range west of the Cascades that has a 1000 yard range.
  3. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Spokane. Mica more specifically. Paper out to 200 yards and metal targets beyond. Good spot.
  4. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Has anyone bought extra barrels for a Handi-Rifle? I'm thinking about getting some shotgun barrels for my 30-30.
  5. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet looking rifle. How's it shoot? What's the trigger like? Does it take standard AR magazines?
  6. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    My hunting buddy has like five barrels and one action. great system. He has rifle barrels and (1) shotgun barrels. I think he has a 30-30, 223, and a couple others.
  7. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    That's very nice. If it's anything like the two Savages posted above then it should be a tack driver. Tune your Accu trigger down a bit and you'll get a nice trigger pull as well. Mine on the 110 BA is set to 1 3/4. The 12 is set to a little over 1 lb.
  8. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

I haven't try the MVP, just got it yesterday.
    All I can see is that is beautifully made.
    Ohh, yes, it does take regular AR-15 magazines.

About the H&R barrel program.
    I sent (for the 3rd time) a reviser to get a barrel, 308 bull.
    Turn around time is usually about 3 weeks/month.
    And from the price in there website you actually pay $50 more, there is a $25 fitting fee(?) and $25 delivery fee. They are very good about updating you via email and when I got the mail that my gun was on my way, I got it the very next day.
  9. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I wish Sig was like that on the updating side. I have had my Scorpion there for almost three weeks now and it was supposed to be done last week. Well, it'll be three weeks from the day I sent it tomorrow. Wonder when I am getting it back?
  10. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Yep, tuning the accutrigger (Savage term) is very worthwhile. I could get both my Savage 10 and 12 to about 1.5 lbs by trimming the little spring in the trigger back housing. (The target 12 goes down to 1 for sure). But finally I took both of the silver drilled pretrigger piece out and have both of the triggers down to about .5 lbs, which requires me to put the safety on before closing the bolt. So people who want to shoot little bitty groups will do really stupid things at times.:lol3
  11. doc_ricketts

Oddometer:
    I found out the Paul Bunyan club at Puyallup has 1000 yard range, but normally not available for members. The club at Eatonville has a 1000 yd range which apparently available and if you know somebody at Ft. Lewis, the 1000 yd range there can be used. Need to get out at try one sometime. I used to be able to put five shots in six inches at 600 yds, but that was awhile ago.
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Never heard of a set trigger? I have a Canjar that is set by pushing it forward. It can be adjusted to trip with just a couple ounces, and is completely safe, because it's a 2 pounder unset. You close the bolt, then set the trigger.
  13. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Ft. Lewis one was available to the public at one time. Not sure what happened there. I'd love to try a range that had paper all the way out to 1000 yards like an F Class competition range. We can't really tell what kind of groups were getting with the metal targets since there are a number of people shooting and you loose track of the paint that was taken off. About all you can tell is that your windage and elevation are in the ball park.

6 inches at 600 yards is competitive level. I doubt very much that we are close to that. All we know is that we can hit the metal buffalo at 500 yards so consistently that it becomes too easy. We can hit the gong at 700 yards consistently enough. Beyond that distance, wind, load consistency and shooting technique start separating the men from the boys and even though we can hit the gong at 1000 yards we can't do it consistently enough especially when there is variable wind. And when we do I'm sure that our groups are not something that would impress anyone. We’re still using factory ammo at this point so this is more long distance plinking than any kind of serious long distance shooting. It is fun though.
  14. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    I've got a CS 550 FS in 9.3x62 that has a set trigger. I love it but everyone who has shot it hates it. I tell them that once it's set all they have to do is breath on it. It still usually takes people by surprise. If you aren't completely ready and have that butt stock firmly to your shoulder it'll leave a bruise that will take a couple of days to go away.
  15. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    :lol3

My uncle has a couple of bench-rest rifles with 2oz triggers. Everyone's first experience with one of those seems to go the same way.

"Before you close the bolt, remember that it's a light trigger. Keep your finger out of the guard until your absolutely ready."

Cha-click, the bolt closes and fat-finger Freddy moves his shooting hand into position.

BOOM!

"OW!"

"I told ya."
  16. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I have a fairly lightweight .375 H&H, and the only time it's been benched was to get the scope zeroed. It's OK recoil-wise if you stand up to shoot. I don't care to bench large bore guns, because it's an easy way to get a flinch going.
  17. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my brother has a .375 H&H as well. You can almost tell that people have wet themselves a bit when they touch that monster off. :lol3
  18. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I shot a '75 vintage Win Model 70 in 375H&H for about a decade, shot it a lot actually, and with full loads. My favorite was a 300 grain Sierra boat-tail spitzer loaded pretty close to max. The gun wasn't a featherweight, but still kicked like hell from a bench. I used to zero it with a 25# bag of lead shot positioned between the gun and my shoulder. I eventually got tired of the beating and sold it to a friend who still has it but doesn't shoot it much. My hard kicker now is a Ruger No. 1, which is pretty lightweight, in 9.3x74R. That one kicks about as bad as the old 375 did because it's so light. I did get one of the Sorbothane shoulder pads, can't think of the brand-name, but that helps some. I think the bag of lead-shot is easier on the shoulder by a large margin, but I think it might be harder on the gun, especially scope mounting screws. I've heard of them being sheared off when the gun is not allowed to move sufficiently.
  19. doc_ricketts

Oddometer:
    But they cost money and I am a real cheap bastid. My crude mod works good if I just remember to put the safety on before closing the bolt.
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Set triggers have been around for a while. My circa 1880 Ballard has one. 1 up from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Luckily a 218B does not kick much.