Rocker ratio airheads

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by chasbmw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    What are you going on about now? I never said anyone was an idiot. That was you. Stop putting words in my mouth but without putting words in my mouth you have nothing to go on about. It's pretty pathetic.

You would be very surprised to find any of [these] info here in my posts? What you ignore in my posts and what you make up that you read in my posts is never ending. My advise is to concentrate more while you are reading and then refrain from making up rude comments.

Are BMW cam specs valve specs? No one here still knows for sure yet. At least now you know what the lift check point is and that there is a difference between valve timing and cam timing with our engines and why most smart tuners stick with cam timing. Even why most timing specs regarding OHV engines that are labeled as cam specs are in fact cam specs versus valve specs. Valve specs or cam specs, at least BMW gives a lift check point with their specs so you can actually use them. Those reported variations? Are the variations the cam or the rocker arms?
  2. RGregor

RGregor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now, if my tone was rude what especially is the following? Isn't that calling some people here idiots? Of course not directly ...

Look if you find the word idiot in my posts. Or even the implication I may regard someone being one. If you find it I'll owe you a beer.

If I ignore facts in your posts I apologise. But I think exactly this of you. Ignoring what doesn't fit your points of view.

But if yout told me numerous times why you didn't time your cam and I don't remember: can you help me and show me these posts? Of course they still are here. I don't post that much so they should be easy to find for you. Please do.

If for you it is still not clear, what they are, then behave accordingly. Like it was not clear. Not like your point of view was the only one worth thinking about. That's all I wanted.

Now to your lift point. Working with Schleicher cams I never cared about. In fact you didn't yourself with the 336. I did learn a bit about that from you, that is true.
    I described how I check that the cam is mounted in the correct position to the crank. I don't need a check point for that.
    And I didn't care for more.
    So stays your final statement (in the cam thread) that the check point is needed for checking the grind:
    Believing that you can check the grind of a complex profile by measuring four points seems to me to be a very optimistic approach.

Do you believe you tought me the difference between valve or cam specs ? Sorry, but that is ridiculous.

Those reported variation? What do you mean by that? The variations in the measurement data?

Now, obviously you regard my posts as destructive. I would appreciate an open discussion about these topics. But open discussion means that differing opinions will be respected, if there are no facts.
    And sorry but, the only facts in this thread came from me.
  3. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. tofgasp

tofgasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, the dynamic compression calculator will be very usefull to choose a cam for the big bore/short stroke I'm currently building. :thumb
  5. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    Very much spot on, and correct in every detail, despite "Damned Human Egos Rampant on the Idiotnet!"
  6. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Correct in every detail? Just like Snowbum? :lol3

A friend pointed out to me that BMW calls their specs valve specs in factory manuals. Awesome! My whole point all along was that most cam manufacturers of cams for OHV engines call valve specs valve specs and cam specs cam specs. It turns out even BMW does in SOME places. Confusing to say the least.

Now just for people that really want to discus cams and not show up just to try to throw me under the bus. (I suspect you have noticed how Dr.t usually offers no technical basis for his opinions about me? That's because they are about me and not the subject at hand. He knows he usually gets schooled sticking on topic but some of us are here for this and some of us are here for that. Sad state of affairs IMO. :D) Now back to the subject. The check LIFT point is not check clearance. Most of MH's description of that spec is ass backwards. Calling it 'check clearance' certainly is. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW calls it check clearance somewhere but doesn't change the fact you don't time cams with 2mm of clearance. I know they do explain the procedure clear enough to me in SOME places to know that the 2mm is a lift check point with zero clearance on the rocker arm which is a whole other source for wishy washy readings versus cam specs but that has to do with timing cams and not how arrogant I am for trying to get past some cam timing basics that is seems a lot of contributors do not understand.

It is looking like BMW's cam specs are indeed valve specs. They even call them valve specs in some places. (I could have looked myself but I stopped at the bulletin since I am not actually timing one right now.) I have acknowledged that distinct possibility throughout our discussion. Since BMW calls them cam specs some of the time, I was hoping they were. As far as I understand it, the smart money times with cam specs for good reasons. Well, we are moving forward IMO. Now I know that the BMW's specs are indeed valve specs and some people stopped joking about lift check points like I was pulling them out of my ass. Progress! Too bad we spend so much time just getting by the most basic of concepts.
  7. DoktorT

Oddometer:
    Amazing. I comment on how very good someone else's offering is without even mentioning charlatans by any name, and SS is personally insulted and goes on a rant. I guess he recognized himself. ROTFLMAO in spades.

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if the cap fits....
  9. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Do you really think no one can see right through your camo there doc? You really do need to be a bit more clever than that! :lol3 And here you are yet again up to what you are always up to. Of course, I knew you would respond exactly as you did. I am sure a lot of us did. :D As usual, nothing to add on topic. Just your typical baiting for some more typical comments out of the same bunch that always bites your hooks. From what I hear, I am not the only one getting tired of it. Personally, I wouldn't be here at all except for stopping your swift boating.

You might notice that all of my previous comment was on topic other than that three short sentence aside (I mean my rant! LOL). Are you ever going to move on? Save the name calling and personal BS for when we see each other in person. Your just blowing hot air otherwise.
  10. DoktorT

Oddometer:
    I'm :rofllaughing :roflso hard.. I :roflcan't :roflfind :roflthe:roflkeyboard. :rofl:rofl:rofl:eek1:huh