Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Mine did that once, it was a lose wire under the seat going to the battery.
  2. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    that's what I figured, that or a fuse. Brake light and turn signals still work, just no head or tail. I need to do some other stuff to it anyhow so no biggie...
  3. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :huh

Thats a first. Hmm check the harness for the license plate light. I just unplugged it and tucked it up under the fender when i cut off the fender extension. It never once gave me a problem though. Hmmm.
  4. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    it just went off today after I had ridden some rough ass gravel. I never asked, did you do the Doo on that bike?
  5. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Well, at least you get to fix yours at home not on the side of a trail in Tellico, TN. :lol3
  6. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to test a stator,cdi box and coil off a bike? A guy I work with sons RM100 quit running ,no spark so they pulled it all out, but don't know how to test it or where to take it. They said someone told them they don't make all of the parts anymore and they don't know which part is bad. I told them maybe Action Cycles in Alliance could check it.
  7. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:

The CDI is tough to check. Usually you just try a know good CDI. The coil is easy with a multimeter. Check the resistance across the two terminals, and again from the terminal to the spark plug wire. They should be less than 1 ohm. Zero ohms is bad as well. Any large, or infinite resistance reading means bad coil. Same thing for the stator. Any large values are bad, as well as 0. You can probably google to get the exact spec to compare to. As long as the resistance values are small, I'd suspect the CDI then. They did try a new plug didn't they?

EDIT: My google fu is week. I couldn't find the specs.
  8. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I was anti-doo. I did pull the side cover the last time I adjusted the doo and from what I could see everything was in tact and looked fine.
  9. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I did the one on my 93, I fished the missing chunk out of the crankcase with a magnet.

[​IMG]

I have the tools still if someone needs to borrow them.

I also rewired part of the bike and installed ato weatherproof fuseholders for the circuits on my KLR. I put a couple under the kickstand switch cover and one near the radiator fan. I hate electrical gremlins. The fuseholders came from eBay, they look like this:

[​IMG]
  10. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I may take you up on the offer of borrowing those this winter. I love those fuse holders, I have a couple hundred of them i got in a lot at an auction and I use them for everything, they are great for snowplow wiring.
  11. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    I take it thats the infamous KLR doohickey everyone has problems with?
  12. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Yep, a buddy did mine for me on the Tengai.

It was supposed to be a beer, doohickey, shooting day, but life got in the way & he just took it to his house and did it himself.

Mine was cracked, but intact. Back together with a fresh valve adjustment and this 22 year old bike sounds as quiet as new.

http://eagle-m-e.com/

I guess you can use OE parts, but he likes them from this guy so that is what he used.
  13. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine may have lasted so long because I was always very gentle with it. I only drove mine to church on Sundays and Starbucks on Thursdays.
    :D

Actually I only ever worried about the spring coming loose. The lever should be fine as long as it is carefully adjusted and not he-man tightened up. If you pull the side cover when you adjust it you can see the condition of it. I just did it this spring @ 11k when I adjusted the valves also. Since the stock spring sucks, I used a screwdriver to help add some tension against the lever while I tightened the bolt down . All looked well.
    :deal
  14. EJV

EJV Jeep. Supporter

Oddometer:

Me too! :rofl

[​IMG]
  15. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Well there's your problem....it doesn't go there. Duh!

:lol3
  16. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    If y'all could please help me spread the word on this it would be greatly appreciated:

OMTA would like to announce we are launching a pilot program for providing low interest loans to private riding facilities!

As more private riding parks are working to make more riding opportunities available for the riders, OMTA wants to help. We are seeking a candidate to be the first trial run of this new program. If you own, or know of, a facility that could benefit from a little boost we want to hear from you.

Candidates may be recreational trail facilities, or tracks. We will consider both new start up operations; or existing, operating facilities seeking to expand and take the next step.

Terms, rates, and conditions will be negotiated based on the merits and scope of each project. We are calling this a "low interest" program because the intent is to help finance projects that traditional lenders would likely charge higher rates for, or shy away from completely. The goal is to help a private facility become a more appealing destination, provide better recreation, and ultimately benefit both the property owner and the riders.

For more information and discuss a specific opportunity, please email us at
    OMTARide@gmail.com. Include you name, phone number, mailing address and location of property, as well as a brief description of the facility and your project needs.

Since this is ADV, you could also shoot me a PM, or call me.
  17. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will help us blind folks. :lol3
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    A common cause of this on the KLR is flipping the high beam switch too slowly between the positions, or getting it stuck in the middle; this activates both filaments in the bulb and will draw too much amperage, shorting the HL fuse.

Yet another reason the KLR is a gigantic lump of shit.

BTW, my doo was intact but my spring was broken with 1300 miles. And if you are gonna change the doo you really need to replace it with the upgraded Eagle Mikes version, I mean the labor is the same, so why install an inferior part (that I think actually costs more)?

If you haven't already nosed around on KLR forums and the like, I'd also suggest the following cheap mods: subframe bolt upgrade, footpegs welded on, waterproof wheel bearings. All three of thsee things broke / failed on my 2006 in under 20,000 miles; so I'm not just reguritating internet drivel. You ever ride home with no left footpeg? It's awkward.
  19. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    There, I made it bright ass safety yellow JUST FOR YOU!
  20. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meef sez:

"You ever ride home with no left footpeg? It's awkward"

I used to ice race with no left foot peg at all....does that count :rofl

It wasn't awkward....damn thing drug on the on ice and caused traction issues