Anybody Changed A BMW C650GT Headlight Bulb?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Rugby4life, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After nearly 8k miles, my low beam bulb died. I think it shook to death over the "streets" of New Orleans. Any way, I checked the owners manual and it said to remove the right side panel to gain access to the bulb. Removed the panel and the battery and multiple fuse blocks are in the way. Removed the battery but couldn't see how to remove the battery box and fuse blocks. Called the dealership and the service manual calls for the entire front end to be disassembled for access. I'm not going to pay 2-3 hrs of shop time to change a stupid bulb. Anybody know a better way to gain access?
  2. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Any luck?
  3. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Tell your dealer to replace the bulb under warranty? That's the best way to gain access. If you are still in Louisiana, come to Baton Rouge. These guys can gain access...

http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofbatonrouge.net/

Why would you pay shop time to fix a BMW scooter that's less than a year old?

2K posts, Boom!
  4. cbolling

Oddometer:
    I don't imagine a bulb is a warranty item.
  5. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Really, in a $12K scooter less than a year old? My 2007 Silverwing doing fine with the original factory bulb.
  6. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Really
    MichaelScooterCycle likes this.
  7. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Is oil or tires covered?
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] For a bulb???
  9. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    No, oil and tires are not covered. Clearly you want to argue a point. Have at it. Where is the OP here, huh? You really believe a BMW dealer is going to charge 2 to 3 hours shop time to replace a bad bulb on a 8 month old scooter? I'll call my shop in the morning and find out. You want to do the same?
  10. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
  11. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>7.8 &#30917;</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>2</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:SpaceForUL/> <w:BalanceSingleByteDoubleByteWidth/> <w:DoNotLeaveBackslashAlone/> <w:ULTrailSpace/> <w:DoNotExpandShiftReturn/> <w:AdjustLineHeightInTable/> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Seriously, is there no way to get to the rear of the headlights from either up top or underneath round the front forks area? The latter might require one to get down on the ground, and look up to the underside of the front in by the forks. Insert a hand up there and do some exploring... might find the rear of the headlight using such a method. It's worked for me in the past.

I'd find it unbelievable that there isn't some other method to get to the headlights to swap out a bulb on the fly without removing the tupperware!
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:&#26222;&#36890;&#34920;&#26684;; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  12. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    I messaged the BMW Motorrad USA Facebook page yesterday. I got a response about an hour ago saying a customer relations rep would contact me. There was enough detail in the response to let me know it wasn't a robo-response. We'll see what happens.
  13. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    Just got a follow up phone call from the customer relations rep. They're talking with the dealership about how to make this as painless as possible. We'll see.
  14. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Certainly not trying to argue.
  15. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Rugby4life

Oddometer:
    Now everybody, understand that I'm not bashing the dealership (wasn't dealing with Baton Rouge BTW). They have a hourly rate and a service manual that tells them to remove all this stuff just to get to the bulb. Simple math says it's gonna cost an arm and a leg. The point I made to the customer relations rep is that this is not the kind of German engineering I've come to expect. Changing a headlight bulb is the kind of thing any owner should be able to do in 10-15 minutes. How hard is it to design an access panel? I would be happy if you could remove the right side glovebox and gain access. Is that too much to ask?
  17. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    how many German's does it take to change a BMW scooter headlamp bulb?

well, its supposed to be a joke but i can't think of a punch line!! :doh
  18. Jimbozini

Jimbozini Misadventurer

Oddometer:
    The Church of the Twisty Road - East Tennessee
    Can you post a picture of what you see after removing the right side panel? I have minimal experience with the 650GT (don't have Pop's here for reference) but it has many similarities w/ my GSA. Replacement should not be all that tough... only akward :D Post a pic & I'll try to help.

19. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    I did the warranty research first, no need to call them, I was wrong, get it, I was wrong, I posted I was wrong, get it?
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    You might want to mention it again, just to be sure.

Oh - by the way you were wrong :D