R80ST gets the GS Treatment

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Airhead Wrangler, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Readymeal

Readymeal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i prefer the one you had in Alaska...:D too black maybe...
  2. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one sexy beast! Do you not have an oil cooler?
  3. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    damn AW, that is one sweet looking bike.:clap
  4. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, no oil cooler. Remember this is an R80, not a 100. They didn't come with one stock and as far as I'm concerned when left in stock low compression form, they don't make enough power (heat) to really need one. If I ever bump this thing up to 1000cc I'll add one.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    You're a dick, Jerome. I hope your luggage racks break. Again...and again.
    :freaky
  6. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Actually, my understanding is these motors run cooler with higher compression.
  7. Readymeal

Readymeal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no problem Spencer, we all know you are a knob too. I beefed them up...the bike should break first:huh. Watch your aluminium cases then...:evil See you in April dude.
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:

This seems contrary to Boyle's Law of Gases, but if anyone cares to explain to me how this is possible I'd love to hear it. :ear
  9. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    i love this forum for posts like this.
    so, how many hit points does your mage have?

10. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Say what?

I always assumed low comp = less power, less heat.

Boyle's Law of Gases, actually more accurately, the ideal gas law establishes the relationship between amount (in number of molecules), temperature, volume and pressure of a gas.

Given a fixed amount of gas (in number of molecules), decrease the volume and the pressure and temperature will rise. The more you decrease the volume the greater the temperature and pressure. Yes, a gas heats up as it is pressurized. This added heat and pressure results in an increase in combustion pressure and temperature causing a higher compression engine to operate with greater power and more heat.

at least that's how I understand it...
  11. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    wow, lookin' good man!

You may have said it already, but which lights did you put on your crash bars? While riding a twisty mountain road in dense fog this weekend it occurred to me that if my headlight winked out I'd likely run off the road--a backup would be a good idea.

I put some Gold Valves in (well, actually somebody else did it for me at Datchew's Tech Day while I stood there with my hands in my pockets). They really make a difference. I can't feel any brake dive under normal circumstances, just a little when I crank down on the lever. I tried them on my 'bump test'--I hit a 6" curb at a steady 10 mph. I've hit the same curb many times so I know how it used to feel. I got prepared for the hit but nothing happened. The Gold Valves made it seem like I ran over a nickel. So far I can't see a downside. I think you'll really like them.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    They're PIAA 510 driving pattern (not fog) with "super white" bulbs in them. They're available on amazon for $145. Just be sure to get the driving pattern as I've heard that the fog pattern is so diffused that it's relatively useless. I'd definitely have no qualms at all about using these as my primary headlight. At 55 watts each they throw a healthy amount of light. I have them wired up to my high beam switch via their own relay as my primary headlight doesn't have a high beam. My "highbeam" is my regular headlight + PIAAs.
  13. bmwblake

Oddometer:
    i'm familiar. it's just not every motorcycle forum where you hear gas laws quoted.

the mage comment was based on an extrapolation that if you're quoting gas laws during a motorcycle discussion that you're probably also a D&D enthusiast.

14. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Despite a fair understanding of the laws of physics, I DO get laid and I DON'T live in my parents' basement.:lol3

I guess it's a good thing that the D&D lingo went right over my head.
  15. JaySoy

JaySoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I love that bike. :eek1
  16. bmwblake

Oddometer:
    i meant it as a compliment. don't be a hater.

17. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Just talkin shit and playing on stereotypes, no real offense intended. Sorry if that didn't come across. The last thing I mean to do is offend anyone around here, especially those that have helped me out. :freaky

EDIT: I definitely didn't mean to imply that you live in your parents' basement and don't get laid. After reading that again I can see how that could be inferred. Woops. I give up. I'm an ass.:asshat
  18. bmwblake

Oddometer:
    i'm awash in sarcasm. no offense at all.
    i'd only be offended if i wasn't getting laid and was living in my parent's basement.

19. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I used to think the same thing - but evidently what really happens is that lower compression isn't as efficient. Instead of the charge being converted to mechanical energy, much more of it is converted to heat. Higher compression will 'extract' more power from the fuel and give better mileage.
  20. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, increasing your compression ratio will increase your thermal efficiency (ie less waste heat per unit of kinetic energy produced), but in absolute terms it will increase the amount of waste heat produced. Any authorities out there care to dig into their mechanical engineering text books and clear this one up? Anyone up for some D&D in Blake's parents' basement?