Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, i saw that bike, yeah, with CL you have to use different keywords, its not as smart as google, cl is a waiting game, i thought i got a GREAT deal on my 09, till like a few months later there was one for sale for about $500 dollars less!! :cry

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3452867360.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3430387156.html

first bike you can get for 3k cash, second one id say 26-27 cash.
  2. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked out the second one and the guy wont budge below $3,000, even though it has over 9,000 miles on it.
    Plus I want the bike for trail riding and he has street tires on it.
    Going to keep looking.
  3. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill be on the lookout too, ill let you know if something good pops up.

You shoulda bought my bike a few months ago, was the best/baddest xt out there by far, i miss it at times.
  4. skottt

skottt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any issues starting mine. After it sat for about a month while I was out of town, it took about 5 seconds on the starter button to fire up. But every other time it has started instantly. However, it's still pretty new so not a lot of data there to say one way or the other.

Regardless though, on the FI there is no petcock to shut off the gas. So you can't run it dry that way.
  5. DualDog

DualDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted over on the flea market that I have Bridgestone TrailWing TW302 Rear tires size 4.10-18 for sale for $70 shipped to your door or $62.50 if you pick up. I believe these will fit the XT250. If anybody is interested, let me know.
  6. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that.
    Craigslist is really strange, I can type in a search in Los Angeles and normally Orange county will also show up but not always.
    cheers
  7. Roadrunner

Roadrunner -Negativus Supersonicus-

Oddometer:
    Bad miss, yet maybe you were meant to find an even better one. :D

And I'm sorry - I don't now if fuel injection helps.

But like I said, my husband's doesn't have this problem nearly as much as mine. And they are the same year. :dunno
  8. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    5 seconds - straight?

I won't even try for 5 seconds - too hard on the battery.
  9. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh how I wish I had FI, mine takes about 30-40 seconds to start. 2012 model.
  10. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you done the air/fuel screw 3 turns out mod?

My bike was so dialed in, it would start instantly, always.
  11. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    Or have you tried letting the motor die after turning off the petcock? Letting the line run dry makes an enormous difference for mine. The trick - especially when not at your own house, is remembering to turn it off the last block (you'll learn the timing) before arriving at work for the day.
  12. Limey 1

Limey 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I trailered mine to a dual sport ride and forgot to turn off the gas petcock....had a hell of a time getting it started, even using jumper cables from the truck!...I figured that the float was being jiggled around during the trip and flooded the motor.....Now i always make sure I shut it off everytime and no more problems!
  13. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That looks like a great XT riding area...Thanks for your posts and pictures.
  14. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    NM has a lot of areas that have great XT riding. :thumb

If ever in the area, let us know and we'd be happy to share them.
  15. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe some day...I would love it.
    Thanks
  16. Brods1675

Brods1675 Giant

Oddometer:
    Tasmania. Amazing roads. Adventure bike heaven.
    Hi all. I've got the back wheel off my wife's XT. Wheel spacers fell out, and I've found they're two different sizes. Which size is for the disc side and which for the sprocket side.

Thanks in advance.
  17. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Follow this diagram

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/XT250 - XT250X/REAR WHEEL/parts.html

first time i had the rear wheel off, i put them back backwards (wrong sides) and since one is wider then the other, my disc was jammed in the brakes and the bike would not move, the axle bolt was hard to remove too, bigger spacer goes on the chain side.
  18. lblampman

lblampman old n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I've been reading since the start of this thread and it's been fun.

Just brought a new 2012 XT250 home last Friday. I've been riding on the road for the last 43-odd years and I'm looking forward to experiencing the dual sport aspect of the XT250.

Now my (maybe) strange question is: does the bike (when new) come with the tool pouch shown in the Owner's Manual? I don't have one and the dealership says they don't think it does (and they don't have another XT250 to check at the moment).

Thanks much,
  19. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca Right2Repair

Oddometer:
    Yes you should have a toolkit under the right side black panel under the tank near the steering head. You need a broad screwdriver or perhaps a coin to unscrew one screw then pull the panel forward to get it to release to remove. Actually you don't even need to remove the panel to get the toolkit to squeeze out - just remove the srew. There is a similar provision for a toolkit on the left side so you can supplement the factory tools with a few more.

mike
  20. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, like said above,

there is actually a spot for an additional tool kit right across from the origial tool kit, i used to carry a spare tube in there.

to get to the tool kit, no tools required, lol just press the top portion of the plastic out (it has a snap in type of bit on it) and that gives you enough room to get your hand in there, undue the rubber band, and pull out the tool pouch.

Congrats on the new bike btw.