Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Shustrik

Shustrik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Ladybug )) I'm glad too. I think I'll manage to come for another ride in US in the future, so will see you guys again one day ))

Hi Mike, Radioman is quite busy by riding around, we'll find time for ride together a bit later. It seems he is popular his first days in NZ, everyone wants to meet him ))

Just not to be with off-top message in this thread, here is another picture of our guy :-)))

[​IMG]
  2. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great mind think A like :D Not Arrow and then pink sticker along the left side of the windscreen

[​IMG]
  3. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Picked up my Bike on Friday afternoon from Experience BMW in Auckland. They were great in getting my Shock rebuilt and my service done. Sebastian Elter is the service Manager and was great! He even got my Steering head bearings and Front wheel bearing covered under warranty! The steering head bearings were shot ..... Yikes too many Topes, gravel roads in South America :evil

Here is Sebastian

[​IMG]

My bike in service getting sorted out. Riding like a new bike now. Amazing how you get used to things, then have then fixed and you remember... Yes that is much better!

[​IMG]

Picking up my bike. Sebastian was really thorough and appreciated his attention to all the details so I could be ready to ride!

[​IMG]

For the couple days awaiting my bike, I had the pleasure of enjoying Dick and Diana's Hospitality! Including watching the sail boat races happening Wednesday Night

[​IMG]

Sunset as Dick and I solved all the worlds problems over a couple beers. Amazing how easy it is :D

[​IMG]

Joy!

[​IMG]

One evening Dick says to me; "you will like this book of riding in India".....

[​IMG]

Hey.... I know CJ, and I have been on that bike :lol3 :wave CJ fans all over the world!

[​IMG]

And Dick took me out to the beaches West of Auckland... Pointing out some of the finer points of beach life in NZ

[​IMG]

All is all. Lots of time to smell the roses here in NZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the repairs on my bike, I was able to pass inspection at VTNZ

[​IMG]

Then it was time to ride. Dick rented a Tenere 1200 so that he could ride with me up the north Island!! off we go. Note that I drew and Arrow on my windshield to remind me "stay Left"

First gas stop . $2.29 NZD per Liter = $ 7.60 per Gallon . And we are complaining in the states it is approaching $4.00 :lol3

[​IMG]

Riding North. Dick had placed a "motorcycle Diaries" in one of his cereal boxes and another WIKI read it, and made contact with him. Mike and His wife now live in California and own http://www.kiwiindian.com We met them for coffee on our way north. They have been building Indian Motorcycles in California since 1988 and he has quite a name for his bikes in the US. Was great to meet Mike and Caroline. He helped RTWDoug with his Indian while Doug road around the world :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading up the west coast of the north Island.... Nice white Sand beaches!

[​IMG]

Added a pink inspection label to the left side of my windscreen to help remind me to stay left. Has actually been fairly easy ..... the only place I really have to concentrate is pulling out onto the road.. Look both ways twice helps:D :D

[​IMG]

Beautiful roads riding north. Light traffic, nice surfaces and beautiful twists!

[​IMG]

Stopped for a bit of lunch!

[​IMG]

Ah... 75 degrees F, Sunshine and beautiful views. Perfect riding conditions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arrived to Russell. Nice little harbor town.

[​IMG]

Liked this sign.

[​IMG]

Short Ferry ride.

[​IMG]

Then to see where New Zealand started as New Zealand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Maori People signed agreements with the British Empire in 1840 establishing New Zealand. The Maoris were given full british protections....

[​IMG]

One of the Maori War canoes.

[​IMG]

We arrived late afternoon to some Friends house which is in Mangonui . Had a great dinner and evening talking about life, motorcycling, etc.

[​IMG]

So I am on the road again! Exploring NZ. really has been great! Looking forward to the next two months riding here.... :ricky

4. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    One evening Dick says to me; "you will like this book of riding in India".....

[​IMG]

Hey.... I know CJ, and I have been on that bike :lol3 :wave CJ fans all over the world!

[​IMG]

.[/QUOTE]

I might have some insight on that book as well... since I was on that trip :deal. Really cool to see that again :freaky.

NZ is quickly being added to my ride list! Keeping up, keep sharing!
  5. JemezMtns

JemezMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see you have your flex-mount for your camera back on the bike. I remember seeing that in one of your earlier RRs, before this RTW epic began. I thought it was a great idea and wondered why you didn't bring it along on the South American trek.

The BMW dealer should have covered your steering head bearings and other major items on your warranty.....you have a 3-year warranty on that bike, yes?

Thanks for taking the time to post all of these ride reports, Mark. It's great to read your perspective on the places, people, and your experiences along the way.

Mike:clap
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It has been on the bike the whole time.

Yes the warranty is 3 years, but was told in south America that it was only 2 years...... Bike was used when I purchased so some time had also ticked out .... Was glad they covered what they did. The rough roads of Central and South america certainly took a toll.

Mark
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Having had a great evening with Dick and Diana's Friends Pete and Danelle. It was time for a motorcycle ride to the furthest points of the North Island of NZ. Pete (America) and Danelle (Canadian) are also motorcyclists!!

[​IMG]

We ride up to Cape Reinga which is the most northernly spot that the main road takes you. The meeting of the Pacific Ocean and Tasman sea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the currents meeting out in Front of the lighthouse!

[​IMG]

Hey I am riding in NZ! Wahooo. Calls for a bit of a jump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dick Hubbard, and my new friends Pete and Danelle.

[​IMG]

The four of us!

[​IMG]

Chatted with a Nice British young lady named Charlie who took our photo, and I think if I had an extra Helmet she would have ridden on with us!! :deal

Then a walk down to the Lighthouse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of places far away from here.

[​IMG]

Lots of Narrow bridges to cross.

[​IMG]

Then a ride down to see the large sand dunes. Could have ridden down the river to the beach, but with a couple of sport touring bikes on street tires, needed to save that for another day!

[​IMG]

Just beautiful!

[​IMG]

Then down the road to another access point for the beach. Nice section of deep soft sand to cross to get to the beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waking up in Mangonui with a fantastic view of the bay.... and the wonderful Hospitality of Pete and Danelle and Dick. :clap

[​IMG]

We were invited to a dinner with some other local friends....

[​IMG]

Becky made some amazing food for the evening!

[​IMG]

A really great evening meeting new people, sharing stories and just enjoying the time here in NZ!

[​IMG]

Of course Bruce capturing the photo of his guests!! :wave Thanks Bruce and Becky!! Wonderful!

[​IMG]

And then a fabulous dessert to top off the evening!

[​IMG]

Another great couple days in New Zealand. Will be back on the road myself later today..... Finally have the training wheels off here in NZ. Should be fun!!
  8. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Nice looking suit Mark. Any first impressions?

Loving the start of you NZ Adventure. Looking forward to "travelling" along with you.
  9. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably because its a RHD market bike.?Did your service include a new headlight?
  10. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the KLIM clothes!
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Just had to readjust headlight bulb. Was not seated properly. :norton
  12. CrustyD3mon

CrustyD3mon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to get hurry reading this thread...lots off new pages every day....:p
  13. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Ahh, you're killing me!
    We just got 6" of snow and it's 6 degrees here!
    :puke1

Q~
  14. Skoots

Skoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking foreword to traveling along with you on this next leg of your epic trip. This thread is a daily read for me. Reading through you RTW trip convinced me to sell my Buell last April. Saved for almost a year and picked up a 2013 F800gs last week!:D Thanks again for taking us along with you.
  15. Kennif

Kennif Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get my PM?
    Kennif
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    **** Just a quick note on my riding gear. as I have had a few questions on it.****

1) First. I still love my Motoport gear and have proved that it provides the protection and safety I desire in riding gear. Wayne has done well by me through the years, and I still have a newer suit at home. The old gear is now retired!

2) Klim has provided me with a great opportunity to test their new gear that is not yet on the market, for this I am thankful. It is Kelvar mesh like my motoport gear and feel that their quality and technical specifications will give me the protection (of course I never want to have to "test" this out :evil)

Just needed to say these things.

The new gear has been great so far, but I am only 500 miles of riding into it! Like many features that they offer, other than I have not adjusted to the different pockets for things (we are creatures of habit and after 20 months with my old gear you get used to where and how you store things .... But I am adjusting).

Funny part of having new gear is that it looks like I just started riding!!

Will give more of an update but it is really good riding gear and when it comes out, I would certainly recommend it to anyone wanting good safe gear!
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb Fantastic. Enjoy!
  18. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    Mark, how does the riding and scenery in NZ compare with elsewhere?
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    After having a week of KIWI hospitality and company. It was time for them to get back to other things, and for me to start riding New Zealand. Had enough time riding on the left (like taking the training wheels off :evil)

Headed off to do a little exploring.

[​IMG]

Some lovely beaches in the north Island.

[​IMG]

Stopped here at for a little time on the beach.

[​IMG]

Ah. Life on the beach in Te Nuaere

[​IMG]

As I was messing with my bike, Marvin comes across the street to ask if I needed a photo of me and my bike.... He is America, and lives in Seattle (near where I grew up)...... Super friendly and invites me over to his house for a cup of coffee. Then he and his wife Sue fix us some lunch.... Had a wonderful afternoon chatting. :wave They live here part of the year, then back to Seattle. Thanks Marvin and Sue for the hospitality!!

[​IMG]

Decided that I did not need to travel to much further for the day. The roads have these markers arrow is pointing toward you

[​IMG]

Stayed here in Whangaroa here.

[​IMG]

$25 NZD for a dorm room. I was the only one in this room for the night!

[​IMG]

The owner Lindsay was an interesting guy who happened to be there. Took me into town to the local Fish Club for a couple pints.

[​IMG]

Started out at the "Table of Knowledge" ..... Just below that sign the real sign. Had a good chat with some locals including Dan who is marrying a US woman from Ohio and in the long process of immigrating to the US.

[​IMG]

Learning KIWI as I go. ....

[​IMG]

Had a great fish and chips meal!

[​IMG]

Next morning I had to go climb up to the mountain view. We always seems to have these kinds of things to see and do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great views

[​IMG]

Sat up on top of the hill, admiring the views, thinking and appreciating the journey I am on.

[​IMG]

the trek up and soon back down

[​IMG]

Looking out to the west, enjoyed watching the sky change

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beauty of these little bays, with all the boats. it is easy to enjoy.

[​IMG]

Richard, Laura, and Alex are staying and doing some work for the owner for a couple weeks. Really enjoyed meeting them!! :wave hope you all have a wonderful trip!

[​IMG]

Riding to Taupo Bay to see the area. Ah the lovely beaches!!

[​IMG]

Then back to Manganui to try out the famous fish shop.

[​IMG]

Yummy fish and chips.

[​IMG]

So I just rode 80KM over to Ahipara to find a place to stay for the night. New Zealand is small enough to be able to enjoy and ride very short days doing so.

Had a few thoughts so far as I am in New Zealand. since everyone speaks english, and it is a first world country. Another rider emailed me and said that I might find it a "bit boring" after riding in third world countries. Been thinking on this, and have decided that it is just a different part of the journey. Easier in so many ways, but less challenging as well. Good roads, signs, language I understand (most of the time :lol3) all the services.

Funny about the internet though. You get WIFI at the hostels but a limited amount of MB that you use. It is free or $2 for 50Mb or 100Mb then it stops. Really is funny as I started uploading photos and preparing my blog yesterday and I ran out of my limit :huh :huh Different system here on internet usage. I am sure there will be many more unique things to experience. The KIWi's have been amazingly friendly and warm.

Looks like I will take the day off to explore the beach today!!
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Gday JD,

It is a great place to ride. Good roads, all the services you need. A place you say... I could live here. The scenery in the north is very nice, not much traffic, great beaches and lovely people!!

Know the south Island will have more dramatic scenery !! Lots more riding to come over the next couple months :ricky