What Dual Sport should Honda build next

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by itrack, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Ned1

Ned1 intentionally keeping it unserious

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony in that statement...

I'd imagine a plated 450x in the right hands and set up right would be a fine option for a performant DS bike. A friend rides a well-set-up 250x as a dual sport rig and it is a great bike. Of course some people's idea of dual sport is different than others.
  2. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    The discussion was about dual sport as in long highway miles. I have spent time in a lot of discussion with someone with the highest level experience who now dualsports the 450X. He is for it, thinks it would work for some applications= mostly local, but it is a qualified endorsement. Not really the best choice for long highway days.

It really has nothing to do with the 'right hands', Ned1 you seem desperate to follow my posts and give them your little girl-slap at every opportunity.:boid

It seems that the the WR250R is about the closest to the dual sport model that can travel well, compromise but workable performance, good value.:clap

It is tiring to hear chest-beating like "in the right hands" bla bla bla or "if you want to spend the money" bla bla. So much of this stuff on the forum is from guys who may not ride or have real experience, but use the insinuation to place themselves in a superior position- at least a legend in their own mind. And then there are the guys who spend $10k and then have the long posts about the problems with their ride- a situation that many sensible folks will avoid by making a sober and logical decision.
  3. Ned1

Oddometer:
    You're a classic:rofl whether you know it or not.

And thanks for more coarse expletives and taunting via PM, it further reinforces the irony. I won't stoop to your level, sorry.

I personally wouldn't drone a 450x down the highway, that's not what I'd phrase as the dual sport riding I like to do. But, I wouldn't hesitate parking it out in your town, riding a couple hundred miles of what the region has to offer, loading up and heading home. If a 450L were to be made I'd consider that but my dual sport motives are more in tune with the former.

In the right hands buddy, in the right hands.......:deal
  4. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Golly gee wizz...you gave me exactly the reply I expected from you when faced with being called on your :topes comments.

Thanks a bunch :fyyff
  5. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    OK your break is over, get back in there and sand that fender and sniff some more paint. Certainly the stuff that builds genius.:lol3
  6. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    In the context of much of this discussion:

So a (Honda) heavy KTM adventure 390 is all good then? But any kind of Honda is not ok unless it is a KTM then? Got it.

Perhaps they could paint a CRF450X orange add some lights increase the price to $12k, and sell a lot to a certain demographic? I can buy a red plated CRF450X locally for around $8k. As well, I am certain that they know how to make that Honda run right, have the correct parts, know exactly the + and minus for that bike. That results from a pool of engineering compared to a drop, and wherewithal to actually test stuff well and correct deficiencies before selling it at an inflated price to emotive suckers who want to think they are bad

Interesting how it sounds like some would just accept problems because it is a KTM, but disapprove any Honda because it is not a KTM?

And I am still trying to understand that some seem to say that paying a lot more makes it better? Wow, suckers, it does not. I do not see that the return for the investment is there at all!
  7. Ned1

Oddometer:
    It's not yours to summarize, twist and contort. It is what it is... a long wait for a competitive product.

BTW, good riddance, hopefully it's permanent,
  8. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM makes a street legal dirt worthy motorcycle which when compared to Honda SLDWMCs is lighter, has better brakes, better suspension, ergonomics which makes it easier to control in the dirt, and most components (pegs, sprockets, controls, frame, engine cases and cylinder) are made of higher quality materials. The air filter is easy to access.
    Also it's lighter. Most of its parts are designed to do the same thing but with less material, and less dense materials. It doesn't weigh as much. Less mass. Not as heavy. The force of attraction between the world and it is less. It handles better and is easier to pick up because its pounds per tire ratio is lower than most red or blue motorcycles.
    Honda has a recent history of making dual sports that are heavier than they should be for a given displacement.

No you're not.

I do. It's fucking lighter.

Edit: Dang, didn't realize he was done arguing

9. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    This is fucking hilarious comming from a born again rider who just got his first bike again after a 25 year break.

At 37, I am willing to bet anything that I (and many others here) have more miles under my belt than you ever will.

You have a lot to learn about bikes and riding.

Hope we don't see you again.:clap
  10. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, y'all were sure busy after my tongue in cheek XL600R rebuttal post. I missed all the fun thanks to actually having to meet a deadline or two at work. Good work on the head explosion and trip to Banned Camp. :lol3
  11. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as Honda wouldn't put a nose bleed seat height on it.
  12. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it,KTM is an awesome bike but then again so is the price and not every one wants or can afford a stratospheric priced bike.Then again give some one that rides a honda and a newbe a katoomer and see who gets whizzed on an roosted and left miles behind;).
  13. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feet touching the ground means you're wasting ground clearance :gerg
  14. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    I would rather have a Honda true DS. posted the 390 link in hopes that the need for a 400-450cc MODERN bike will come out.

My XR400 with e-start and some front end work under at 285wet would be buildable and buyable :deal
  15. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If honda would build ANYTHING at 285 wet, bigger than a 250, with real power, that would be a HUGE step in the right direction :evil ..........the question is WILL they do it, and when :confused
  16. singletrackslayer

singletrackslayer Legalize singletrack

Oddometer:
    My honda 450X may be heavy and out-dated, but its alot less dusty when you're always way out in front . . . :lol3

I like riding with comperable orange bikes(300 2ST thru 525 4ST). Its always fun knowing that you have just a little bit more than the guy riding next to you and can pull away at any time. Its kindof like a cat toying with a mouse thing I guess. :D
  17. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    KTM EXCs from 02-07 are some of the best bikes made and can be found for around 2-4000$ in your area of NJ. In fact, most of the guys that ride dirt (that don't wear jeans when riding) are on KTMs of that year.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how this turned into a KTM vs everybody else thread. But most do these days. So I will add that I always bought new dual sports and always bought Yamaha, Kawasaki or Honda. That was right up until a ridding buddy turned me loose on his 625 SXC.

Sold. A dual sport that worked offroad. No more massaging the motor, reworking the suspension, ditching weight or buying better handlebars, pegs, etc. But I knew there was no way I could justify the cost of a new KTM when used they cost almost as much as a new XR650L.

But I also knew I could not justify ever riding Japanese again. So now there are two used KTM's in the garage. So I have two excellent dual sports for the price of a new Japanese bike that wouldn't work as well. Moral of the story: using price as an excuse to ride Japanese is a cop out.

That said, if the Japanese ever decide to get back into the game at the new benchmark set by European companies, I would go back in a heartbeat. I don't bleed blue, green, orange, red or yellow. I ride what works. But I just don't see any of the Japanese companies breaking out of the cheap dual sport box.

This isn't something I learned on the Internet. I rode (and still ride) KTM back to back with other bikes to decide. But if something comes along better........
  19. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    With Honda entering the Paris to Dakar this year there MIGHT be some hope. They can use that entry as a development mule and share some of that technology with a production model...
    One can hope! Been a LONG time since I've owned a Honda :deal
  20. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? Not saying you're wrong, but I would be surprised if a CRF450x would pull away at any time from a KTM 300 2T or a KTM open class thumper.