New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    All the comments about vibration makes sense, however, if there has been a sudden change in viration levels, check the engine mounts.
  2. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    No sudden change, but i'll give it a try.

Last ride a mate's 640Enduro lost one of the front caliper bolts and he earned a free take off over the bars... vibey SOB's.....
  3. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    This was posted in the Garage Section under Favourite MacGuyver tricks by someone called Jeepsandbikes:

"to protect a wire that gets bent a lot , use the spring out of a old pen . twist it over the wire and volia .
    this can be used for wires that rub , or cables for your phone /gps that get bent near the ends ."

Maybe something to try with the airbox sensor wiring issue?
  4. leanin

leanin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]GET THESE. If you order now, you should have them by April. :lol3 Their customer service sucks, they take a while to get to you, but they are the only place to get them, and the grips are excellent.:deal[/QUOTE]

You can get those grips at Cycle Gear too.
  5. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    GET THESE. If you order now, you should have them by April. :lol3 Their customer service sucks, they take a while to get to you, but they are the only place to get them, and the grips are excellent.:deal[/QUOTE]

You can get those grips at Cycle Gear too.[/QUOTE]

Yea, 714's aren't difficult to find. They are on every bike I own and usually order a couple pair at a time from motorcycle superstore to have on hand when changing bars.

As far as vibes and mirrors, I've found the Doubletake on FastFlexx bars work pretty well. Definitely more vibes on the enduro vs duke.
  6. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used these with grip heaters? I am curious if the added rubber would be to much insulation. I have been using my grip heaters a lot lately.
  7. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, used these on the 950 with some I think Symtec and thought they were too thick and reduced the heat from the heaters. I swapped to normal Renthal and was a lot better.

Use heated gloves now though for the really cold weather.
  8. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    What I needed to know. I just have regular moto grips with dual element heaters. I have to play the game "heated jacket, high beam or grips on high" so i don't overload the stater. :deal
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Hey, thought these might interest some of you that need to stay warm on the bike.....

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

Say these at a supplier of mine and they look like a viable solution for those with not a lot of surplus stator power. A friend of mine has one and he raves about it. lasts 3 hours on the medium setting and 2 on the high setting. Could be a great first layer with a good coat over top and bring a few batteries with you. The 12v batteries are readily available at your favorite home center.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Swap out to a HID headlight and a LED tail light and it's almost enough power savings to heat a vest. Think I'll stick with the wired vest.
  11. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I'm running an LED tail and headlight but I think my LED headlight draws more than the stocker. It's certainly brighter:lol3
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    HID uses 27 watts and is much brighter then a 55 Watt standard headlight bulb.
  13. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    What LED's are you running on your bike for head lights??
  14. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Squadron from Baja Designs
  15. SuchesRider

SuchesRider Just Do It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on the 2012 690 R. One of the benefits that is important to me of the 2012 model is the lower seat height. However, when in my reading about the 2012 model I come across the term 2012MY. Can someone please help me understand what MY stands for? Is it Mid Year? If so, was there a second model 2012 that was released mid year? Thanks. SuchesRider
  16. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country

MY means Model Year, nothing more. There is no mid year second model offered.
    Go buy one and have the time of your life. Enjoy!
  17. tdreyer

tdreyer KTiM

Oddometer:
    Try thishttp://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18545324&postcount=283 I run my Squadron on the street for the last 2 months and am nervous @ 40% around Leo's. At 40% I still get way more light than my Stocker with a chinese HID And compared to my TT X2 the Squadron is drop dead reliable and even better light. If the numbers in the link are correct then the power savings is stellar anywhere south of 80% and more light you could not ask for.

Yes, I like my light a lot:D

Edit: can't do a link on my tablet:puke1
  18. Roostre

Roostre Disco

Oddometer:
    I gave one of those to my wife last Christmas and she loves it. Only problem I can see with using it on the bike is carrying the spare batteries and the off chance you land on the battery in a crash- the battery pocket is right over your left kidney.
  19. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I've posted this here before but I'll do it again to help out the non-electrical nerds :D

In planning for my trip I needed to find how much Electrical power the 690 produces and uses. So i measured the current with from the battery with no stator connected and no headlight.

P= I*V. (Power = Current * Voltage)
    My old 2010 used about 6 amps (72Watts) to run the motor and the stock tail light. I called it 80 to give a fudge factor

225 Watt stator - 80Watts = 145 for everything else.

So. now on my 2008, this is what I have.

Grips high/low 44/24 Watts
    Headlight high/low 55/35 watts. high beam and low beam run at the same time so high beam uses 90 watts. Both are HID50.com.
    Jacket is 75 watts

So.. you can basically add up your watts and just make sure you stay under 145. Measure current *12 v to get your Power consumption on something that you don't know.
  20. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thats true but in reality, there are lots of things that will hurt you in a crash... the road, the handlebars, foot pegs.... etc etc etc.