Riding Around the Hood

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Apple Jam, Feb 9, 2011.

1. scottnt

scottnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey AppleJam, I just picked up a 1200 GS Adventure a couple of weeks ago. I work at the Walgreen's here in Hood River. I'm one of the pharmacists. Stop by and say hi, I'd love to hit some back roads with you and some of the other ADVrider guys.
  2. TourPros

TourPros Local wherever I go

Oddometer:

I get all my drugs from the walgreens on the heights. I guess Hood River is starting to come around with some riders. While we do have so
    E legendary ADV members we always need more.
  3. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    That snow thing is why my weekly rides are taking me East so far. It is kinda scary how much snow the hills don't have this time of year.

Did you check S1Marks dates at the end of July? I could make those work......You?
  4. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    WestFest in Darby Montana ends that Sunday, and I've been tossing that around in my head. What day of the week are you thinking of starting? And which direction do you plan to go, North to South?

I'm not sure if I'm doing WestFest, but if yer leaving Monday of that last week in July AND you're doing OBCDR from North to South........I could do BOTH:clap
  5. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Yay, a local big bike rider :clap.......you ready to get that bitch dirty? My advice, break of a mirror and a blinker quick, and scratch up those pretty valve covers quick and get it out of the way. That's what I did, and I think all the scratches are prettier than that shiny orange unscathed paint!! I did buy a new mirror and blinker, the other blinker is just taped up. You hardly notice :wink:

Seriously, though, did you see my ride post for this week, up the Klickitat and over to Bickleton on this Friday? If you could swing it, that would be the PERFECT break-in cruise for you and your bike. I don't need to do any dirt, unless you want to :evil.
  6. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed riding with those two FF's at last years Hells Canyon.
    Yes I will try to make that time slot work.

I would love to do the OBDR on my Triumph, although I would probably struggle in places with it. ...I have a smaller bike too.

Yo John

[​IMG]
  7. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    The 'loose' plan was to leave on Saturday 23rd and ride it North to South. I think John wants to ride every inch of it and not miss anything! I'm less worried about covering it all in one session, I want ot have some fun riding it and camp out in the wilds with good company. I need to be home by Sunday 31st for work the following day.

Ernie, you'll I think you 'rode' with John out at Hells Canyon and 'waited' for me.:D I think you'll find me a heck of a lot swifter on the KLR, I'm a lot less concerned about droppomg it and the TKC's on it were a revelation, particularly when it gets a little slimey. Planning on bringing the KLR to Hells Canyon this year.

S1
  8. asrvivor

asrvivor Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer:
    Well our little secret is out. We will take all the cool:deal riders we can fit it sounds like. Although we may have to split into smaller groups in order to cover ground. So soon we will all meet at a location TBD that is close enough for everybody and discuss a plan of attack. I want to crush this OBDR. Soooo excited. Please give post or pm where you live to centralize the meeting location. Thanks John
  9. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Well, Asrvivor's title above his Avatar now says "Ex-bacardi lover", last I checked, so you must have drank him into the dirt last Hell's trip :freaky

I want to ride every inch too. I've done a couple of week long rides now, and thay are a blast.
    Wild camping just adds a lot to it, but on the other long rides I've done, most riders have not been into that part of the adventure....(city boys :huh).
    I, too, don't want to miss anything, but I want to take the time to stop often to take plenty of pictures and take in the sights, sounds, and smells, when they are deserving.

I'd rather take the time to do it with low stress, and not rush,
    I like to leave when the morning is ready for us (but I'm an early riser), and get to camp well before dark to set up in comfort.

I learn so much more and become better when I ride every day, day after day, on these long trips.
    I only have the big Orange Pig to ride, but I've learned to be fast (I didn't say good, just fast :wink:) on pretty much any kind of road,
    only the truly nasty stuff makes me slow down, and that's when I fall; when I slow down.
    So I try not to slow down :norton
  10. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    Well what do you know, there he is !! Snuck in while I was writing my post.

I like your attitude about this ride :lol3.
    I'd love to ride with you on this, Asrvivor, we kinda missed the ride part last time we met on our Barlow Trail ride.

mrmagoolin wanted to do a portion of this at the North end, I don't know where/can't find where Lakeview is,
    but we could include him and start in Walla Walla, just across the border.....

Are you guys thinking 5 days, or 7 days.....
  11. asrvivor

Oddometer:
    Hey Applejam, I'm bringing about $4000 worth of camera and lenses. So ya, I'm gonna stop at every little frickin neat lookin view I see. I know Mark will be OK with this. We don't have to ride the whole thing in one day. We'll go as fast as the slowest and not push anyone. And start the day when the rooster stops crowing. Oh and I plan on stopping before dark. I hate setting up camp in the dark. Gives no time to bullshit around the fire about how well we rode that day.:muutt
  12. mrmagoolin

mrmagoolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lakeview is by the southern end. I would prefer to ride south to north as I live in Pendleton. But would be willing to ride either direction. Have commitments on the 29th and 30th of July.
  13. asrvivor

Oddometer:
    Yes I will make room for the captain. Gotta stay warm eh Ernie?:freaky
  14. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    That's the ticket; we're gonna get along juuuust fiiiiine.:freaky

So.....3, 5 or 7 days? I have not studied the route to guess at that.
    I'm not trying to push the time thing, or change any plans you may have already made, but....
    Honestly I'm just testing the waters to see if I can still squeek in WestFest, and start this ride with you guys on Monday, July 25th??????
  15. asrvivor

Oddometer:
    This is probably something we'll discuss when we get together soon. Gotta get the GPX tracks from crazybrit and see where we can pull out to ride home fast on pavement. John
  16. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I received the OBDR maps! :wink::clap

I know mrmagoolin is the king of gps.
    I hope to have a suitable one and be ok with it too.
    Yes mrmagoo it would be excellent to see you along.

These maps are killer but too nice to carry along, thus way points are listed through out the ride.

I know my buddy Paul waits for me on rides as far as speed goes.
    Speed will not be a problem.
    I would like to smell the roses, check the views and take pics.
    Between wrestling the Scrambler around. And really it hates all that luggage...
    Hmmm...
  17. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Fixed. :D

:wave
  18. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    So, are you coming.???....????....???

Work is FUN...as long as you don't HAVE TO do it :D

PS: No Visa cards allowed, except at gas stops.
    And even some of those might have "forgot to pay the phone bill" :lol3
  19. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    How many Motel 6s are there on that route? :D
  20. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    You can get them right here on ADV