New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was thinking I'd build something along the lines of a pressurized flush or a back flush set up even. Would pulsing it be better than simply holding it open? :ear
  2. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    pulsing it would allow pressure to build behind the solenoid for a more forceful blast of cleaner each time it was cycled. I did backflush it first then the normal direction.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and used the syringe method shown on youtube. seemed to work fine. I've got about 10,500 mi. on my original injector and carry a spare with me.

I believe they are in the ballpark of $150 here in the states.
  3. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    From what I understand, the injector in itself IS a pump. When the coil is activated, it triggers a hammer that pushes the fuel inside the motor.

That said, your local Diesel Engine Tune Up shop will clean these injectors better then you will ever do for few bucks ...

I know that just trying to dip that think into some "liquid mechanics" wont work 100%

Paul Jr.
  4. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Got it back together and not I'm getting no fuel. I can pull the injector out and get a clean spray pattern, but with my finger in the back of the throttle body I get nothing from the injector. Pull it out and it's not consistently pulsing now :dunno

Injector? electrical?

Connections look good, new spark plug, good fuel pressure (though I don't have a pressure gauge that'll read that high) drop a little fuel in the TB and it fires right up- No fuel through the injector though. It there a way to test the electrical? Something like a noid light? I doubt my DVM would read quickly enough to see the pulsing.
  5. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a gear lever any ideas ? the hammerhead is outa stock for another month
  6. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    You might be better off without the Hammerhead:lol3 I had a problem with the splines on mine and they never called me back, been waiting 8 months! No big deal, it's only $80.
  7. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    I had a look at my 500 exc they are closer 690 then hammerhead and cheaper then a 690 lever
  8. .chris

.chris 690 Advenduro

Oddometer:
    Tried your idea, and now I have managed to strip the torx bolt. :deal
    Who the hell uses torx for such tight bolts, will be replacing it with a proper bolt if I ever get it out.
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    why ya taken off ya shock for?
  10. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Take the fuel hose off the injector , turn ignition on & see if you get a surge of fuel . If so block the hose with your thumb & turn ignition on again & see if it has pressure ( it should be very hard to stop it spraying ) keep your thumb on it a while to see if it holds pressure in the line.
    Disclaimer ,,, if you set your bike or shed on fire don`t blame me ,
  11. LOZ

LOZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    if its anything like mine ....... ..cut it off..start looking on e-bay for a secondhand tank,when trying to get it out the nut in the plastic gouged a hole in the tank and i had to fit a new tank

£950:eek1

loz
  12. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Done, and done. I don't see it being a supply issue. I have the back flush fixture for the injector set up. I'll get on that this morning and see what happens.
  13. daveknievel

daveknievel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a shifter on my 690 that is from my 05 450 SMR. Same thing. They only offer 4 different shifter for ktm's. And the hammerheads aren't out of stock. Tucker rocky has 5 in ILL, 9 in cailf. None in the PA . Warehouse.
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
  15. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    Well

As far as I am concerned, Torx is one of the best thing on earth ... Particularly in tight places. Torx are 99% class 8.8 or 12.9.

One thing however, it's pretty easy to mix sizes. You can easily use a T40 while it should have been T45 ... Oups ... And another thing ... Torx bolts are 10 times more expensives when you can find them...

Paul Jr
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Final chapter (I hope)

A very small hole in the new in-tank fuel line was leaking only when under pressure. replaced the week old stuff with some more bought at CarQuest rated/printed the same and it fired right off.
    It seemd to be getting worse as time went on making the origional testing void. I started from scratch again and found the low pressure condition that wasn't there before. When no pressure was on the hose it worked normally, but when any restriction was there it blead pressure from the leak.
  17. Czechie

Czechie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    could any of you help with Scott's steering dumper. I have the original mounting set up for 690.

I have bought the following bar riser and tried to fit the dumper in.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I realised that I am missing approx. 5mm to fit the pin in.
    [​IMG]

I know that the easest solution is to turn the bar riser by 180 degres and it will fit. However this is not what I want as this position of the bar riser bring the handlebars closer to the seat which I dont like.

I was wondering whether any of you had a similar problem and what the solution was. I was thinking or playing with the bottom part but not sure whether this will not screw up someting else. I did not try to lose the nut but it seems to me that the "needle" is fitting perfectly in so I can't remove it.
    [​IMG]

Any tips or hints? Cheers.
  18. beaney

beaney rally racer

Oddometer:
    Rally Raid Products make a longer arm for the damper to solve this problem

[​IMG]
  19. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    you nee to use a puller to get the arm off. I would make or buy a longer pin. the pin on my husaberg as around 3" long if i remember
  20. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thankis mate - being in aus dont think i could get them sent over - hammerhead are outa stock and my dealer has another four weeks to wait with 8 sold already , his eyes kinda rolled abit when he said four weeks aswell :huh
    do you work for one of the shops :evil