KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they cut the choke point out of it and sealed it all back up.... Might be more to the FI, I donno I don't own one.. Your correct my 530 does indeed get hot on slow ass rocky stuff, I dont have a fan, but I have not yet boiled over, but I wish the bike ran a little cooler, others have said get rid of the stock exhaust altogether and the heat will go down, so that next on the list as well.. But im lead handed, and need to learn to back off, but I never doo it no fun.. The wheels in the pic are Marchesini's I waited like 3 months for them to get here, and almost cancelled my order twice.. They weigh next to nothing, and preform like a dream.. They REALLY make the 530 scoot, they dont even weigh 1/2 of what my other set of sumo wheels do lol, so all that loss of rotating mass makes the bike feel super flickable, my only issue is the stock brake on pavement..

To keep running the Sumo setup I will need to upgrade to at least a big 4 or 6 piston setup, and im trying to figure out what will work best for both sumo and dirt, and I dont want to be swaping masters and calipers between the dirt/sumo setup..

So im wondering if a 4 piston w upgraded master would be ok, because I know a 6 would be complete overkill on the dirt, but im currently cooking off the brakes in just minutes at the moment, so I will be looking to upgrade it pretty soon..
  2. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post up on the thread here to show the new dirt tricks fan. I'm very impressed with the quality of this fan. I run the acerbis 3.4 gal tank and was told they hadn't fit them to this tank yet so wasn't sure if the switch would be accessible. Well it is and it's absolutely perfect. Perhaps some Good info for you fellow 530 owners to know. Here's a couple pictures [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

That's a very bad idea for a dirt ridden bike that light, and it won't be easy to fit anyway. The front wheel will lock up very easily, the caliper won't clear the spokes on 21" properly and the large disc will hit stuff much more easily.

Instead get a complete second 4/6 piston brake setup with a matching master cylinder and brake line, then you can swap it over in 2 minutes along with your wheels with 4 bolts without having to bleed anything.
  4. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a much better idea imo.. I do have upgraded brakes on my 450, but NOT a 6 piston, and like you said i dont want to be smashing rotors either...

a complete seperate setup would be the way to go...
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    On one of my bikes I just put a bigger disc conversion on it,along with the best pads I could get,then run the best high temp brake fluid Motul has.It works well.
    Its odd but just having the smaller 19" or 17" ft wheel the brakes work better as they have more of a mechanical advantage over the smaller diameter.
    It seems like you would have to be riding it on the track to "cook" the brakes that quick,usually some cool off time on the street between corners.
    My 530 will only spend enough time on the street to get from one dirt spot to another.
  6. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I like that fan,it draws a little more power then stock or? I wonder how much thicker it is then the stocker?
    Hmmmm.........
  7. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure which you refer to when you say stock? They didn't ever come with one stock as far as I know. Take a look at the info on their website...says they draw very little power. http://dirttricks.com/new_page_1.htm
    They're pretty dang thin too! Fits perfect for me.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Your right,I was thinking of the KTM add on fan,the dirttricks fan looks good,I wonder if anybody knows how many watts the KTM fan draws?

8 watts isnt much for the DTricks fan.
  9. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do, I live 20 minutes from my favorite twisty mountain road, and on the way up, it's not bad at all as I wont require much brake, but on the way down it's much different.. I actually overheated them on the way up too as I recall... I do alot of trackdays as well, the stock brakes are great for dirt, but they just dont have the power needed to stop the 530 when she in hauling the mail...

This setup here would probably be perfect for some trackdays and sumo full time...
    http://www.motostrano.com/Moto-Master-Brake-Kit-p/kit-mm-race.htm

or could go with a 6 piston and practice stoppies all day.

Here is the road im talking about its toward the end of the video im the guy on the Blue R1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7937590840286348944&hl=en
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even with a 320mm rotor and relo bracket the stock caliper will overheat in short order. Better but not the real solution.
  11. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM fan draws about 35 Watts.

Motomaster is good, Beringer 4/6 P are both good, Magura radial (with QTM axial to radial adapter bracket) is good, FTE radial is shit, stock 2 P Brembo is shit, even with a 320mm bracket (and it only allows you to use a 4mm thick disc). I wouldn't advise those last 2 ones to anybody who doesn't ride like a grandma, at least not if it's up and down and not only flat riding.

The Beringer cast iron rotors are awesome as they never overheat and wear your pads much less with their solid surface. Unfortunately they are very expensive and the center is made out of soft aluminum so it get's worn pretty quickly at the floaters and then needs a rebuild kit. You won't wear out a friction ring though!

The Braking Wave sold through KTM Hard Parts and the Motomaster Flame are a good alternative.

Just make sure that you get the right disc for your caliper, there are both 310 and 320mm variations.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Thanks LukasM, I ordered one of those fans. Im not much of an electrical genius,I wonder how one fan can draw 8 watts,while one that looks pretty similar draws 35 watts? Dirttricks claims their fan can run the whole time the bike is running with out drawing the battery down.
    That sounds good to me,I would rather not change out stators as stock is often the best.
    We shall see.
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM fan is a more heavy duty version that flows a lot of air (you can easily hear it with the engine running), 124 cfm at 1.9 amps, so even more at full power. The DT one appears to be a simple 12V computer fan which must flow a lot less. I am sure it helps but there is no way it will work as well because of the differences in power draw and output.

In the case of stators Trailtech actually makes a product that is better than KTM, both from a reliability as well as functionality point of view. You can see that even KTM has realized this, this is why you can buy repackaged TT stators through the official KTM Hard Parts catalog.

You can try the DT fan but for tight and slow single track with no air flow through the rads I'd recommend the 100W DC system upgrade and the KTM fan, this will leave some head room for heated grips, HID/LED lights, etc.
  14. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:

Wow, that seems pricey. I'd like to get a new master/caliper/larger rotor combo for my SM wheelset as well (currently just running the standard disc/caliper), but $1300 is a lot of $$ to drop. Is that the only reasonable cost alternative, or is there a more economical option?

Thanks,
    dc
  15. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan,

If you want to save some money you can also get a cheap axial MC with 13-16mm bore from a street bike (if using a 4 or 6 piston caliper). And the Motomaster caliper is actually designed for use with 11-12mm dirt bike MCs so it has 4 smaller pistons and works very well with a standard KTM Brembo.

The budget alternative for calipers is the gold 4 piston Brembo that is used on the KTM Dukes, 640 Supermoto and some Ducatis. It has good stopping power, and huge selection of pads, and it can be used with 4mm or 5mm discs, but it's fairly wide and needs a special caliper bracket and disc spacer to make it work on the standard EXC forks. Here is what it looks like mounted, if you need help finding a caliper, I've got a spare I'd sell cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Posting these up just for fun, and also to say thank you to all the guys who have contributed to this thread and helped me (and VISA :D ) make my bike into the greatest back country exploring rig I could have wanted. These are from a ride a week or so ago. :freaky Oh, and now the KLR rider is JONESING for a new 500.... :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I'll try their fan and see what happens,it flows 100cfm and is good for a 20 degree drop in temp.
    I use my 300 for real singletrack but I figure some sort of fan would be good on the 530.

Seems like after so many years,KTM would put a better stator on the bike to start with,but we know how that goes.
    I'll put the TT stator on at some point most likely.
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it flows 100 cfm that's great for only 8 watts, so definitely give it a shot.

BTW KTM finally has the stators figured out on the '09+ Husabergs and the '11+ FI KTMs, 200 Watts of DC power, and they are reliable! :clap
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    And I bet,not cheap! I would like 200 watts that worked properly though. I checked out the thread about the Electrosport stator,that one takes a little engineering to get going,then it can maybe die at a later point.
    I guess the main thing I want in a bike is for it to keep working,especially out in the middle of the Nevada desert.
    I dont want to be the guy getting towed in . Bling for bling's sake rarely gets you very far.

Different subject, but a friend just had the small sealed cam bearing frag in his 525,bearings went all through the engine,broken gear parts came out with the drain oil,supposed to have been a freshly redone engine.
    Any thoughts on this? I can see how having 2 separate oil cavities would have saved him some money.
  20. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hodakaguy- nice shot of you with your 530 on the cover of the AMA magazine! ADV represent!