The Great Big SPOT Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by John E Davies, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I think the big difference here is my wife is usually out on her own bike, with her own Spot and if we split up, we think it's best to get a text message giving an indication of where the other person is. We don't mind getting multiple text messages. And tracking kills batteries much faster. I can go a season on a set of Lithium AA or AAAs.

But to each his own. I think tracking's useless and a waste of money, but that doesn't mean you have to.
  2. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a SPOT tracker believer and am set up the same as above, but don't forget people, at this stage if you use SpotWalla they you must use an OK message every 24hours to keep the tracking function working, but 24hours of SPOT tracks all in the same place is a definite "hello I have an issue".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  3. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one and leave it on 24/7 in the fiberglass saddlebag of my Harley when on a road trip. That way, if it gets stolen at night, hopefully, it will leave a tracking trail. Batteries last about a week on tracking 24/7. Cheap insurance. It transmits just fine through the fiberglass lid.
  4. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learned the hard way on MY SPOT2 that you have to reactivate the tracking featue every 24 houes. I was on the Alaskan Ferry heading south and wanted 10 minute tracks for the voyage. Finally figured it out...even though it is described right in the manual.
  5. rhino89523

rhino89523 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    O.K. help!!! All the GPS stuff and this spot stuff makes my head hurt.

I am not a tech junky and I ride alone way more than I care to admit. I am a fairly hardcore off roader and get myself pretty far out into the middle of nowhere often. My wife would sleep better if my phone always worked out there and if I could be tracked. I started looking into this spot deal and it seems like the way to go for me. Would you guys get the 2 or the latest that links to the phone....why? HELP!!!! and thanks in advance.
  6. UnclebudinTX

UnclebudinTX Half Moose Whiskapalian TEX-LEX

Oddometer:

I bought the spot2 instead or the new thing cause i just wanted my wife to be able to locate me.. I also figured the link between the phone and the spot was going to be another distraction to my riding that i didnt want to deal with. Spot 2 does exactly what it says it will do "when I do what I am suppose to do exactly" I am the weak link so far because i forget to start the tracking mode or to push the checkin button..
    I have not had any of the battery isses that the others have talked about.. I buy the energizer ultimate lithium and have about 6k mile on one set, i carry a spare set of 4 in my tank bag.. I also have an insuline pump that requires one battery.. and when the battery goes on it it goes fast so .. A four pack will run about $11.00 = 3 spare for the spot and 1 spare for my insulin pump.. cheap insurance for both accounts.:freaky
  7. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also opted for the Spot2, and it works as announced and no hiccups yet.
    The girlfriend unit ( GFU ) can track me if desired and everything is smooth :D
  8. TraumaQueen

TraumaQueen WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer:
  9. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    That's not correct. You do not need any sort of cellular signal to use the Spot Connect. It's designed allow you to send messages and emails that you type in the Spot Connect application on a smart phone, via a bluetooth connection to the Connect device, and then on to the satellite network. It's basically a normal spot that interfaces with a phone to provide some on-the-fly messaging abilities. It can also be used standalone for tracking and SOS signalling.
  10. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
  11. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had better luck with SPOTII tracking reception....where do you mount the device?
  12. TraumaQueen

TraumaQueen WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer:
    It appears that I was misinformed. You are correct. Thanks for straightening me out :norton

13. TraumaQueen

TraumaQueen WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I guess it officially has more miles on it now.

14. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run mine in a similar position. Mine maybe more parallel to the ground.

For other folks I run the best LI batteries I can and change soon after I get a low battery alert especially if in the wooded area or MTs. If in open ground I can always get a least the rest of the day on tracking with a low battery light.
  15. rhino89523

rhino89523 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very helpful, thank you.

I am riding an xr650r street legal or a CR500 not street legal. I leave from my house and on the CR stay within the tank but thats still pretty deep in the forest on little single track, some of the single track is mine alone created off deer paths. The XR I ride all the same single track stuff but can fuse it with street, stop for gas and keep going. I usually stay within about a 100 mile radius of the house but that is still a long way in the woods. I try to check in with the phone when I have a signal but was just looking for a little more. I have a big fat harley that I am getting close to the 100,000 mile mark but I don't get too worried riding roads and fire roads...people come by often enough, its the deep woods and the loss of signal scares me with this GPS.

Does this spot thing need care and feeding? my plan was to mount it to my camelback semi permenant and just turn it on when I leave. I don't need to be touching it and playing with it all the time do I? I run a program off the phone called ski tracks that has been within a few feet of some pretty deep rides....I just want to be rescued if something goes wrong. I go with the knowone is here for me type attitude and roll prepared...food, water, flame, tools, tube, misc bolts, first aid kit, phone, wallet, emergency rain clothing and etc. as needed for weather. I ride from 2500' to around 10,000 I live at 5000.

I know the best move is to ride with others but it just doesn't happen all the time. So change of habbits is not the answer, I know its a numbers game I am not ready for mine to come up.
  16. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't need to, if you want to use the tracking feature. Turn it on, let it get a signal, then enable the tracking and ride. That will send a message every 10 mins on your location.

If you need to summon help or 911 though, you will need to manipulate it to do those things.

Where to mount it is always a point of debate. On the bike or off the bike? On the bike seems more robust and like it will survive a crash. I can also manipulate mine while riding as I don't use the tracking feature as that costs extra. The down side here is if you and your bike get separated, you have to get to your bike. On your person is good too. In the event of the crash, you will have the unit with you and not need to get to your bike. The downside here is will the unit survive the crash or hurt you more if it's mounted to you. These things you will have to decide.
  17. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    To work best, it needs a full view of the WHOLE sky, and needs to be "pointed" with the face of the unit straight up. If it's in or on your pack, or anywhere on your body except the top of your head, then your body and head will block it from seeing a major part of the sky. The result is it will miss some tracking points at unpredictable times. That's probably not a big deal given what you want it to do, just don't complain that it drops some points.

Also, it stops tracking after it's been on for 24hrs, so if you leave it on all day and night you need to put it back into tracking mode every 24hrs.
  18. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    My advice is once you get it USE IT. and I mean all the time and a lot. play with the features and get used to it. Program the two buttons with messages that mean something to you and for who will be watching. I use the custom button to say I'm starting an adventure/training session, doing a location check, taking a break. the OK button is for when I stop for the day, at either home or a campsite and then I can turn the unit off for the day. The tracking I use anytime the unit is turned on. Also, if you have to use the 911 and send in the marines use other Help button first! because what I've heard is once the 911 Help button is pushed none of the other buttons will work. call home first before the marines! I love my spot and hadn't had any problems with it at all. I also keep it inside a dry bag to keep it dry. I use it on my kayak, canoe, boat, hiking, biking and on my dirtbike, sailing, well, you get the point. oh yeah, I use it in the car as well! It's great for xcountry trips ....... etc, etc. have fun!
  19. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I have had a Spot 2 for 9 months. I don't use it for tracking my route, but just to notify my wife that I have arrived safely, as I do a lot of solo riding, both on pavement as well as in the woods, on my KTM. I was reluctant to purchase a Spot 2 because of all the negative comments posted here.

I was testiing my Spot 2 a little over a week ago and noticed that the green led light for "gps" was not working. I got on line with customer service and did a "email chat line" with a representive explaining my problem. The customer service rep said the the led was probably burned out and since the unit was still under warrantee he emailed a form to fill out. I filled it out and returned the email. Next I was sent a RMA form instructing me where to ship the unit and the return number.

I just received my new unit yesterday and activated it to my current account. It took 8 calander days from when I contacted customer service and when I received my new unit. I was very pleased with the service I received.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  20. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I have my wife and best friend on my tracking/help/mesage list.
    I always set the little wafflestomper print to 'on' (blinking).
    When I send an OK message they get it with the location linky but no tracks.
    WTF am I doing wrong? I have a public shared page setup. So what's the dig?