Radek solo 2012 Baja 1000 on 990R

Discussion in 'Racing' started by rburkat, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tear it up and best of luck Radek! Have fun! Following the thread for updates...
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    VERY good point. Spare parts and tires, anything that could be considered parts for a "refaccionaria."
  3. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck , neat set up on those bikes and for your info all us misfits and others from Tete Jaune Cache are pulling for you. Give 'er hell. Finish , finish , finish.

adios, gale
  4. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Good Luck!! Have a blast!! And kick some ass!!
  5. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    Radek is at my house right now working on his bike. The fuel pump went out on it but he had a spare so we replaced it. Also the 2 sets of woodys wheels that he picked up did not have the spacers and one was the wrong size...ugh.

[​IMG]
  6. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I stayed with Scott (Goggles Pizano) in Reno. Scott is part of the chase crew so we did some rough planning for the race.

Notice Scott's ironman trophy. Maybe I'll own one soon too.
    [​IMG]

We opened up a set of Woody's wheels and put them on my bike.
    [​IMG]

Scott then took me to a bunch of whoops to teach me how to skip the 990 off the top. I learned a lot, and got the hang of it for short spurts, but it's going to take a practice if I'm going to try to do that in the race. I felt bad for the suspension.

[​IMG]

I went to 2.5 / 1.6 woodys wheels and the handling on the bike sure changed a lot from stock. Changing the rear from 4.0 to 2.5 rounds the tire profile and reduces the contact area on the ground which causes it to break traction a lot faster. It sure makes it fun though.

One the way back I started to notice that my bike started to starve for fuel at high rpms. We made it back just barely.
    We assumed it was the fuel filter/pump, but I had to get going towards California so we didn't get a chance to look at it.

Thanks Scott and Joann for the beers and good times.
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had shipped some parts to my friend Cesars place in Willows. Cesar had just converted his 990 EFI to carbs so he asked if I wanted a spare harness.

Hey where does this part go.
    [​IMG]

I was planning on changing my fuel filter after prerunning so I had a filter kit ready. We took apart the fuel pump and sure enough it wasn't looking good.

No wonder this thing can't get fuel
    [​IMG]

I also received 2 sets of Dirt Tricks Ironman sprockets. ( the name is fitting for this race )
    I'm going from 16/42 to 16/45 for the race.
    [​IMG]

As I was assembling the sprockets and new wheels Cesar noticed that I did not have the right spacer for the woody's hubs. The day before I reused my stock spacer as I thought that's what i was supposed to do because I didn't receive any other. After a bit of panic we contacted woody's who instantly overnighted the parts to my next stop, Super Plush Suspension. I'll pick them up tomorrow as my suspension is getting refreshed.

Some of this race prep is a bit last minute and Cesar was getting stressed out. He likes to plan things out but I roll a little different. My saying is, if you plan everything to perfection, adventure will never find you.

We put on my old wheels and went out for a ride. The 45 rear and a new filters in the fuel pump made the bike come alive. We spent the afternoon comparing the 2 bikes and I must say that on a drag, Cesar's 990 carb'ed conversion kicked my 990's ass.

Next stop, the Bay area.
  7. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Staying the night in El Cajon and ready to cross in the morning.

I dropped by Baja Designs this morning to pick up one light but Tex made me rip off my rigids and set me up with something more. We rolled the 990 into the shop and ended up with this.
    OnX long range optics, and 2 spot squadrons with cornering lenses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day before I was in the bay area James at SPS freshened up my suspension
    [​IMG]

Also picked up my new seat from Renazco. It's soft and smooth like a virgin rhinoceros' bottom.
    [​IMG]

So tomorrow I'm headed to San Felipe.
    dooby likes this.
  8. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    :clap Those BD lights are gonna flame the desert! Just one Squadron is amazing, so that whole setup is going to light up half the Baja Peninsula!

Rock'em Radek! :pynd
  9. MotoBonita

MotoBonita Ride more

Oddometer:
    Wish you all the best, I am inspired by your comment "if you plan everything to perfection, adventure will never find you".

I am counting down the days until I get back to Baja.....my Disneyland.
  10. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a wicked set of lights Radek! Good luck to you and keep us up to speed......been following this and just about all threads Baja related...
  11. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arrived at Kiki's in San Felipe today. In San Felipe I met a buddy mine from back home who just happens to be riding his 990 down to south america. Tomorrow we will prerun from borgo to puertecitos or until he says uncle.
    After that work out some kinks on the bike and then starting Monday or Tuesday I'll start preriding to La Paz.

Btw I really dig the new Tijuana border crossing. The visa and bank are both in a new building in the inspection area which makes it easy to get them together. I also asked about the hours of operation and both the visa and bank are open 24/7.
  12. BDKW1

BDKW1 KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer:
    Nice lights! Like we would have let you leave with anything less :deal

It was good meeting you, good luck in the race!
  13. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    Nicely done.
  14. cactusreid

cactusreid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radek say hi to Kiki for me! good luck with your solo attempt. Just thinking out loud here, as i was there when you and Andrew blew up the 540,just after it was built in 2008. did you ever find the cause of that failure? I'm by no means an engine pro,but a 12.5/1 piston is pretty aggressive compression wise, and whether or not the pemex gas is as sketchy as some people say, why don't you find some octane boost in san felipe before you leave. pack enough with you to keep that brand new mill happy as you pre ride to La Paz. El Murr and the rest of the kamloops/coast- PLUS FIDDY TEAM should be at Kiki's by today. Good luck,good speed and ride safe big fella!!! CactusReid
  15. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    good luck in the B1K Radek :freaky

just let the big Orange Crush the competition :rofl
  16. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went out on a solo preride yesterday of the northern part of the course and the san felipe whoops. Here is video of a section near RM90.

Video of prerun on 990: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNG9wqFblA&feature=youtu.be

I did the san felipe whoops on the 990 and I was feeling it for sure.
    Going to mount and wire all the lights today, test them tonight and then start the preride south to la paz.

My spot tracker is this: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0OGXAbDft4rXhLQ9Ym7E5dssVbAdvW66f

Also my sat numbers are this. If you want to get a hold of me Chase 1 should have the phone on all the time.
    8816 4143 0871 Bike
    8816 4143 1002 Chase 1 ( stan )
    8816 4143 1881 Chase 2 ( russ )

I'm in San Felipe now, but will start tomorrow.
  17. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow:bow
  18. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell, that might as well be Mars. Give me mud, give me (deciduous) trees, give me rivers. I went to Moab and my mind was just blown. Everything looked the damn same.

I'd love to say that I had the cajones to do the Baja 1000 on my Adventure but being honest, I think that being out in the middle of nowhere, where there is no sound and no movement, would utterly freak me out and cause me to run away.

And you're going to do it at night.

Hmm...

Good luck.
  20. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Bike is Looking Great! Good luck. :clap