Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    When moving, at least the forward part of the fairing should be getting clean, ambient temperature air. I'd certainly place the unit out of the sun and ahead of any engine, radiator, or oil cooler.
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I got too. It's perfect.

Re: Emmbeedee's caution, I just haven't ever put anything in the pockets...:lol3
  3. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    A track consists of multiple points and each point is connected by a straight line. It does not necessarily follow the intended path 100%. It is only as good as the points that are in it, the spacing and the accuracy of the device locating those points on the trail when you are using the track. If the points are too far apart (or were not placed properly if the track was made in Basecamp or Mapsource), it is easy to imagine that the track will not exactly follow the intended path on the ground. I think when you understand what a track is, how they were made and to some extent, the gps's accuracty, you will see that it can be very useful navigation tool. However, it is not necessarily 100% true to the intended path, but is instead a good approximation. A route, on the other hand, does more exactly follow the intended path if the routing data in the map is properly produced.

Edit: However, tracks are more accurately transportable between different GPS units because they are not calculated. Since a track is just a consecutive list of points, each GPS unit should see the same set of points with a straight line from one point to the next and they will all be equally as accurate or inaccurate on each unit.

Only routes do turn-by-turn directions. Tracks do not.
  4. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    A track consists of multiple points (lat/long) with an "imaginary" straight line connecting each consecutive point. It is not "continuous" like a route but is instead made up of discreet points separated by a distance determined by the rate at which the points are captured by the device and the speed at which you are moving when the track is created.
  5. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have noted it at the time, and now I can't find it.
    On my Alaska trip I have tracks of the whole trip going up in purple/pink, coming back in the bright green.
    Then I'm going to run the routes (daily) over them.
    What are the best colors to run, so I can see both clearly? (Routes and tracks)
    Sorry for my poor searching abilities.
    Jeff
  6. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Routes are always displayed in Magenta, and can not be changed.

Routes will always display over tracks below, effectively hiding all portions of a track along the route. This makes it easy to see where the route is not following the track, however.

Track color can be changed, and I suggest using a color not common on the map you will be using, not too dark, not too bright, and not Magenta :)
  7. trampaslake

trampaslake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to have more than four icons on the main menu?
  8. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nope. Change your track to black and when the magenta route is on top of it you will see the thinner black track inside the magenta route line.
  9. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Maybe the bright green? That should show up against Magenta.
    My plan is to follow the track (if/when) when they differ. Then elect not to recalculate the route when prompted.
    Hopefully I'll still end up where I've planned each night.
    Thanks again
  10. cablebandit

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Note the black TRACK is visible on the magenta ROUTE. It's easy to see where they deviate.
  11. cablebandit

Oddometer:
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Of course - go to Setup/Main Menu and click the +. And if you want multiple menus click the right arrow at the bottom of the screen and create more screens for the Main Menu.
  13. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Ok.. Sounds even better.
    Thanks
  14. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

Read Up! Lots of reading to do!
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info!
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I just go for the tank bag. It usually reads about 5* higher, but hell, I left mine on the bars one time and it was reading 92 when the temps were around 75. :lol3
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I've been riding with mine since they came out (about 35,000mi) and this is the best location I could come up with and still get a "reasonably" consistent ambient temp (sun or no).

[​IMG]
  18. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I tried using it on my jacket but every time I went into a restaurant but left the gps switched on, on the bike, the ANT connection was lost. I had to shut the gps off, then turn it back on, or turn the ANT signal off, then back on, before the connection re-established itself between the Tempe and the gps.

That's why I make sure the Tempe and the gps always travel together now by virtue of them being tied together.
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Good point. I almost always take my GPS with me when I leave the bike so it hasn't been an issue.
  20. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Thanks!