My scoot ride reports

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by V Saarela, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two questions for you -

What gear do you use to stay warm/dry in such cold conditions?

Why did you decide to reduce to a 50cc Zoomer as judging by your pics most/all of your previous bikes were 125cc?

How many miles are on the zoomer now lol
  2. V Saarela

V Saarela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boden, North of Sweden and near the arctic circle
    Thank´s for your comments Forde.

And about your questions(wich I count to three of them)

-I use motorcyclegear(goretex). It´s cold to sit hours still on a moped and I have chrashed on motorcycles few times and it hurts also in low speeds.

-As you, I also love the small cc touring. I ride motorcycle about 35.000kms/year and the 125 and 50cc is something to do with "back to basic" feeling? Love to travell with motorcycle, but it feels to easy nowadays.....and the scenery is not the same on motorcycle.(more time to see on moped)

-Insurance is expensive for mopeds in Sweden. 500 euro/year. I have the Zoomer in traffic only when riding touring. In two years the bike has been in traffic only 18 days. On this days I´ve road 6.400kms(In miles I thinj it´s 4.000 miles)

The Z is now sold....and I´m searching for a new one.
  3. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    500 euro a year OMG

i have a 100cc scooter and they added it to my insurance for my other bike for free, my fully comprehensive insurance policy on my 05 Kawasaki Z1000 costs £230 GBP, i'm 23 years old.
  4. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    Zoomer/Ruckus is a moped, often chrashed by young riders...that´s why the insurance is what it is. My Honda Innova scoot 125 costs about 100-120 euro.
  5. rulis

rulis Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    (nice trip rulis)

Well, I sold my Zoomer/Ruckus and was lookin for a new one for the next year. Zoomer is expensive in Sweden, price is about 3.000 euro.

Now, there are comming a new 50cc model to Sweden. The price is under 2.000 euro and you get 5 years warranty.
    Has this model(called NSC50 or Vision in Sweden)been on market in other countries?

http://www.hondamc.com/homc/templates/Model____19277.aspx

[​IMG]
  7. TebKLR

TebKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed "going along" on your travels. Thank you!

Sure wish that cottages like the ones you rented were more widely available here in the States.
  8. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you know how it is here.

By the time they got done installing all the things people demand and can't do without over here for their "rough camping" (A/C, hot showers, toilet, hot tub, internet access, etc., etc., etc.) you're back up to the price of a regular motel or hotel room. :deal
  9. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    Travelling on two wheels, don´t they use much tents and cottages in States?
    If not, isn´t campingareas popular there?
  10. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In the UK the Zoomer 50cc (Ruckus in USA) and the Lead 110cc (called the Beat 110 in some other countries) were discontinued at the end of 2011 and have been replaced with the Vision 50 and Vision 110. I think they are the same engines, just a new body/style.

Vision 50cc http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/vision50/ £1650 GBP

Are you not interested in the 110cc version for long trips or is it not available in Sweden?

Vision 110cc http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/vision110/ £1800 GBP

I would get the 110cc, it only costs £150 more and only does 5 mpg less. 50cc - 146.9 mpg, 110cc - 141.8 mpg quoted on honda's site

Do you get a new scoot every year?
  11. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input Forde!

Things has sorted out already, yesterday.

I saw the Vision 110 couple of mont, visited a Hondadealer in Nice(France). It looked,,,,well, okay. That´s all.
    I´ve been told that Zoomer is for last year now.

I have still the Innova(bought it 2007) and I´m happy with it. I just need a moped, I really don´t know why I sell theme and after an hour I regret.

About the sortet out:

We have winter here, alsoms one meter snow(but I ride a CBR 600 with studded tyres http://www.saarela.se/film/youtube/111208.html )
    Tuesday evening I loaded the Innova:
    [​IMG]

Thursday I rumble around in Kiel among others on har froozen beaches. It looks warm, but it was zero Celsius
    [​IMG]

Friday I visited the Swedish exhibition and checked out the Vision 50. Looks okay and felt okay.
    So, if everything goes as it should.....maybe flight to Gothenburg and then.......:norton
    Under 2000 euro and five years warranty....can´t be wrong?
  13. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow that video of the cbr 600 is crazy how do you have any grip for braking, steering...... and how do you stay warm when it is already so cold and you have wind chill on a bike also!

i like your web page, pity the english part is smaller than the swedish part, i want to see it all!!

was just wondering, how come you like the vision 50 and do not like the vision 110, they are the same bike!
  14. bakker46

bakker46 Road warrior

Oddometer:
    Great adventures and road trips , halfway trough the story's now

Thanks for putting your story up :D
  15. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    Winterrides learning by doing. Have ride since 1996/1997, started with a small 250 and ended up with a heavy Varadero 1000. Have cost few injurance like broken ribs and totally bindness couple of days :norton
    Thank´s for your homepagecomment, it takes time to do it in swedish and my english is not so good so...

Sorry for the little missunderstanding, of course vision 110 is a great scoot as the 50cc, only thing is that they looks like the other scoots on the market. I like the small scoot products from Honda, even the 50cc mopeds has 5 years warranty here in Sweden.
    I can´t imagine travelling long distances with other scoots?
    But....I like the look of Innova and the "new" Wave 110, ment only that :norton

Thank you very much bakker. Hope you enjoyed the rest of it :thumb
  16. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    any more thoughts on buying a new moped?
  17. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    At home one metre snow. Back to Germany.... :norton

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IeZQuj124Xw" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  18. duive01

duive01 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got a registered user so I can comment on your story. It's hard for me to believe that you can do 500 km's in a day on a standard Honda Zoomer 50. You must have been sore all over. I never did more than 250 on mine and I was glad that I could get off the bike by then. How many hours did you do to reach that 500?
    And then 4200 in 13 days, that's over 300 a day average. WOW!

Thanks for sharing your words and pictures, loved it!

Gr Edwin
  19. V Saarela

Oddometer:
    Funny, your input here is not registered as last postage so I haven´t seen it?!?

However, new or old user, I´m very grateful for the comment, thank you! :norton

I think 250 kms is a good travelday, but I´m used from motorcycles to do long rides and also feel that Zoomer is a very comfortable longdistance moped. Longest dayride i 550 kms(heading to Northcape) and it took about 16-17 hours to do it....early mornings :norton

Well, summer is coming fast. I think I´ll go for a Vision 50cc this summer and still wonder if somebody has bought(or test) one of the european modell(or swedish) and can tell the speed of it on spedo?
  20. duive01

duive01 n00b

Oddometer:
    16-17 hours, truly amazing!:eek1
    It's a good average too, about 33 km per hour when you have a top of 40 km per hour. I have travelled last year on a BMW F650, no highways, just small roads. I did about 50 km per hour average and I didn't stop very much. Mostly I drove between 10 am and 6 pm and did an average of 390 km a day. So you have proven it: you don't need 180kg of BMW F650, a 80kg Honda Zoomer will do just fine. :D
    I'm a lover of small bikes, lightweight. So this year I'm going from the north of Holland to the south of Spain on a Honda PCX 125. Small roads again, total of 7000 km. I thought about taking the Zoomer but it's taking too long (I'm not going to sit on it for 16-17 hours! ;-) and I simply don't have the time. But it feels a bit like cheating! The smaller the bike, the bigger the adventure!