Tiger 800 Windshields

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by TAMPAJIM, May 12, 2011.

1. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
    I have a spoiler on the stock screen and it works OK, still get a bit of noise but the airflow isn't bad, I can keep my shield up with just the sun screen down upto 50mph+. Helmet is a Shark Evoline II and I'm 5"11" w/30" inseam.

[​IMG]
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Apologize if it was mentioned elsewhere I didn't catch it but what spoiler do you have? Thanks
  3. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
    I used the Twisted Throttle MRA VTA4 and it fit quite well. You may want to measure and see if one of the other part numbers would fit better, I used this one as I had it from an earlier project.

Jerry
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I'll probably post it later in FM but for anyone looking for the tiger 800 tall adjustable windscreen I've got one with maybe 500 miles on it. Excellent condition. Was thinking $120 shipped. pm me if interested.
  5. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheap website simply because they probably aren't making a lot on them and don't want to eat all their profits on a flashy site. I'm usually more leery of a glitzy site personally.

I have a few hundred miles on my Madstad at this point and it's a tossup for me if it or the Corbin seat was the best money I've ever spent on a bike part/accessory. It isn't "pretty" but it is effective, so I really don't care.

I bought the tallest option that they make (22"). I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I installed the adjustment brackets in the low position and have the screen sitting pretty low as well. I definitely could have gotten away with the 20" screen but I wanted to be sure. The shield moves a bit when you get a x-wind gust or are stuck in another vehicle's wake or hit a big bump, but not as badly as the stock screen. The wind protection is fantastic. Makes a nice calm bubble of air. All helmet buffeting is gone. I can also unzip the jacket a good bit and not have it flap all over and beat me up. Huge fatigue saver in that regard.

My only complaint is that it does such a good job of killing the wind noise that the howl from the Karoos at speed is that much worse. I'm headed up to the Smokies next month and the Battle Wings are going back on since the trip will be entirely road.
  6. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Madstad is a old school small business. Just Mark, his wife and 3-4 employees. He does everything- the website, answers phones, takes his own photos, designs his products, etc. He manufactures all of the metal parts using only first rate materials, gets the shields from a top rated source and guarantees all of his stuff.

And he even rides a motorcycle to work!
  7. hawkbox

hawkbox 800 (Ironhide!) Supporter

Oddometer:
    That makes me feel better about it. I got a response to an email inquiry from him earlier today so that helped ease my mind.

I usually associate pages like that with people trying to sell crystals or alien detectors. ;)
  8. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Madstad 18" light gray. I'm hoping this is going to be my last 'farkle' for a while, holy crap have I spent some dough. :eek1 Heading down to Flagstaff in a week or two, so we'll see how it goes. The OEM tall windscreen is what my bike came with and it wasn't bad if it wasn't too windy, but side winds would make it sail, and a lot of wind (we get a lot of wind) I got some buffeting.
  9. Neducati

Neducati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I realize this is an older post, but Powerbronze (a UK firm) makes a 215mm tall sports or bikini screen for the Tiger 800 in clear, smoke or a variety of colors for about $80. I just found one on eBay and bought it, and will post photos when I install it.

Here is their website:
    http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/75095...0-11-12/TIGER-800-XC-11-12-(215MM-LONG).model

I don't care for the stock screen on the Tiger but like the clean air when I stand in the pegs, so I'm thinking either this short screen or no screen will do the trick for me. I'd like to be inside a bubble with no wind hitting my helmet, but don't want to install a barn door to get that result. I have that on my RT but it's a much bigger bike and doesn't look so ridiculous.

[​IMG]
  10. Neducati

Neducati Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. phillipsrog

phillipsrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree the air feels and sounds better when I'm on the pegs. I just wonder if it's going to be the same with this screen. You've still got air deflecting off the lights and front end.

Anyone know of any photos with one installed that shows more than just a close up?

I am definitely interested.
  12. phillipsrog

Oddometer:
    When do we get to see one of these babies installed on the bike?
  13. Neducati

Neducati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You asked for it, you got it. Bought this PowerBronze sport screen on eBay and it arrived in PA very quickly from the UK. There is a lot less buffeting and although the look is not perfect to my eye, it doesn't look too bad. The air is still not as clean as it is when standing on the pegs, but nearly so, and a big improvement over the stock screen. For reference, I'm 6'-1" tall, with a 32" inseam (so I have a longish torso) and keep the seat on my XC in the higher position.

Cheers!

Ned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. phillipsrog

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Thanks for posting the pics. I am ordering one. Good riding.
  15. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine installed yesterday, but only had time for a trip down to the dealer. I took the freeway down, getting it up to 85 briefly and I felt like I had a big calm pocket, just a little breeze hitting around the top of my head. I'm 5'9" and have the hard ware on the screen mounted for shorter riders. In fact the screen is as low as you can get it. The one adjustment from my initial one is I'm going to lower the angle a bit. Set up as in this pic, the screen is a bit blunt and I feel like I'm plowing through the air a bit. I'm hoping 5 degrees less will be a nice balance.

[​IMG]

You can see the mounting system pretty well here. Both the screen itself and the wings can be removed wing-nut type bolts. So far :thumb for me!
  16. Deanmac

Deanmac n00b

Oddometer:
    Like most of you, I too am not in love with the stock screen. I'm torn after reading this thread. I have had no problems putting on long miles with my Ducati Monster or my Kawasaki ZRX, both with short screens. The sport screen shown in this thread, therefore, makes sense to me. I'm also looking at the Triumph high screen tomorrow and would like input from those on here as to where they would put their money. The majority seem to have gone high screen but it appears it didn't really solve the problem, at least from what I have read. I can't return the high screen once i purchase it and don't want to make a $200 mistake.

I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam and riding in Toronto means Multi lane highways that are dead straight but at least lead to the US border where real roads exist.

Thanks in advance.
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. I ended up with the Madstad setup. That said, I also have a CalSci if you're interested in giving it a try. It's pretty good, but not perfect. Not sure about sending it to Canada??
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I have a Palmer that I'm very happy with. It works really really well if you are in the "give me lots of clean air" group.

Will post photos after the coming weekend. Need to take more photos.
  19. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very recently added a madstad screen. At 6'2" or so i needed tall. The screen works great. Can have visor up at 80, Way quieter now, great except now I can really hear the bike - and realize I need to put a baffle in my leovince.
  20. Deanmac

Deanmac n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer of the CalSci. In looking at pictures, it appears similar in height to the Triumph tall screen. I think I will head out now to the shop and compare sizes and looks. Thanks so much to the others that commented.