Chattahoochie National Forest... Part 1

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by John 10:10, Aug 11, 2005.

1. John 10:10

John 10:10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just spent 3 days exploring the forest roads and trails of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">North Georgia</st1:place>. This place is awesome, perfect conditions for summer, cool, rainy and foggy. 500 miles of mostly off road in 3 days and I am ready more…..

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Day 1

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Springer</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Mountain Trails</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">[​IMG]</st1:placeType></st1:place>

Springer Mountain forest roads were so green it hurts the eyes...
    [​IMG]

Wissenhut ORV Park....not very big, but great single track
    [​IMG]
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on"></st1:placeName></st1:place>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Amicoloa</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Falls</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">[​IMG]</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> The Falls</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>Gaddistown Rd at Springer Mountain in the rain....</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    Day 2

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Tray</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Mountain near Helen</st1:placeType></st1:place>

Helen-the place was packed with tourist.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roberson Ga. Courthouse-this is where you appear when caught riding the hiking trails....
    [​IMG]

BBQ on the Chattahoochie River....
    [​IMG]

Rafting on the Chattahoochie through Helen...(Note to KTM riders-you must ride with at least the right leg tucked in or have fire resistant pants....)
    [​IMG]

GA 348 outside of Helen
    [​IMG]

GA 348 Overlook
    [​IMG]
  2. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Crossing at Wildcat Creek near Lake Burton...
    [​IMG]

Day 3 rained hard all day, still managed to get in 150 miles...
    Wolfpen Gap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooper Creek Ridge Forest Road-it rained so hard water got inside the camera and ended the photojournalism...
    [​IMG]

I must applaud the artist that created all of this...I was happy to be His audience for a few days and enjoy His Grace! I can only imagine what His heaven must be like....
  3. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!

I was through that area about 3 weeks ago, but only scratched the surface. I did ride GA 348. Beautiful road. Hwy 180 and the 3 mile spur up to Brasstown Bald was good too. But your trail rides put my trip to shame! Got to get back up there!

Edit: Wow - I just noticed after posting that you are in central FL, too. Cool.
  4. John 10:10

Oddometer:
  5. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    man that looks like a WHOLE lota fun..been thru those mountain roads on my trusty kawasaki zx12r,but am now lookin at this adventure ridin stuff,cant wait to get my bike so i can do some exploring..
  6. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet pics... thanks for posting. These are my stompin' grounds, too. Can't say I recognize this trail at Tray Mountain. What Forest Service Road is it off of?

Ian
  7. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly it was FR 79 near Indian Grave Gap and Tray Gap...
  8. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me you didn't ride the hiking trails.:ear I have always wanted to but thought better of it.:huh You are one lucky guy. They might still have you in jail if they would have caught you.:D
  9. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    See Pic of Robertson Courthouse and comment with it. JK, I would'nt dare ride on a hiking trail knowingly. However, I did find some single track....it's there you just have to look real close and not pass by it too fast. Sometimes there isn't much evidence of the trail next to the road...
  10. svwayne

svwayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding offroad in north GA for the last 30+ years. I am not currently aware of ANY singletrack trails, that exist on public land, except in the ORV areas. I've been told by 2 different rangers that unless a trail is specifically marked OK for motorized travel it is open only to foot travel. The penalties for riding a motorcycle or ATV on a trail that is not specifically posted for motorized travel is a steep fine and seizure of your motorcycle. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here. Just relaying first hand information I've gathered from my many trips through the public lands of north GA.

There are special events throughout the year that get special permission to ride trails that are otherwise closed to motorcycles. The annual dualsport event sponsored by GARTRA (http://gartra.net) is one such example.

Forest service roads are numerous in the area and are open to street legal motorcycles unless posted otherwise.
  11. John 10:10

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up....
  12. svwayne

svwayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started not to say anything because I thought I might come across sounding like a north GA trail Nazi. I would just hate to see a forest ranger get a shiny orange KTM without having to pay for it like the rest of us!

If you make it back up this way be sure to check out the Oconee national forest located east of Atlanta. There is some great, motorcycle only, single track in the Towns Creek ORV area. A little further east is the Durhamtown Plantation which is billed as the "sportsman's paradise". Lots of ATV and motorcycle trails. It can get a little busy on the weekend though. The Oconee NF is also chocked full of service roads. You can easily link up 2 days of riding on nothing but dirt in this area. Watch out for hunters in the late fall.