Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Chest mount. Safer for the camera.

More stable too.

M
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  3. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't used to be that way.
  4. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I saw their chest mount set up and kinda thought it was more bulky that I wanted for he mountain biking. I am kinda liking how light and able to move I feel riding the mountain bike, as compared to the dirt bikes, where I have on armored shorts, armored pressure suit, neck brace, boots, etc. :D

Thanks for the input.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who's experimenting with a GoPro attached to his Camelbak's shoulder harness. I'll keep an eye on how that works out for him. He's been working on establishing an acceptable angle.

Helmet mount allows any branch to knock it off angle or completely off the helmet. Bike mounts can sometimes be too jittery. IDK. Guess it's really comes down to compromises and how important filming your rides is to you.
  6. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:

I think, ideally, the best mounting position would be helmet-mounted hanging at eye level... that way the POV is exactly what the rider sees... or doesn't. At least it's out of harm's way from malicious branches and stable on the helmet. :lol3
  7. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    The videos I have enjoyed the most were filmed with multiple cameras. Watching someone ride a trail for 30 minutes, I'm not going to do it. Have different camera angles, and edit it down to the better shots that do a good job of conveying the overall feel of the trail, :thumb

Now, that said, I can totally see the advantages of filming the ride so you can see the areas you need to work on. Better lines, more/less speed for various conditions, etc. And by allowing others to view and comment you can get ideas and suggestions you wouldn't think of on your own.

If you are filming for training purposes, then whatever mounting point gives a good view of what you, the bike, and the trail are doing should work fine.

The purpose is different for each type of filming, so you have to take that into consideration.
  8. McDuff

McDuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good call getting back into mtb. Do you live in the sandy or rocky part of Jerz? Have any good trails nearby?
  9. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    On my motorcycle rides,, I have mounted it to both the side of helmet, and to the top of my visor. I prefer the latter, as having it on one side my it slightly heavy to that side. On top of my visor, I have it in such a position that it will still clear any branches I would duck under....so long as I see them. :lol3

The filming would be just to get the "good parts" on film, just for the fun of it and to have it. I also get very bored when people put up lengthy vids...so mine are typically under five minutes..or so:

http://youtu.be/QntXlgFYmPE

That is from a dual sport ride here in NJ, that is probably the most fun one in southern NJ.

For MTB'ing, again, it would just be for fun, not any kind of training.

I live right in top end of the pine barrens...pretty sandy...but fun for the motorcycle riding. I have checked out two parks so far, and had to drive about 1/2 hr to each..to get real dirt and trails. Bicycle is not gonna cut in the sand right near my house.
  10. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    aanyone remember these?

[​IMG]

that is a Moxey, got sued out of existance awhile back by Cane Creek who has patents on their Thudbusters.... I was looking for a suspension seatpost for my wife's comfort stepthrough hybrid, and didn't want to get one of those cheap chinese springy-posts, but Thudbusters were just too effin' expensive ($150 seatpost on a $250 bike? eeek!). won this puppy on fleabay, owner says its new, he was given it but never used it because it didn't fit his frame. afaik, they are a 25mm or so post that you shim to fit, wife's bike is a 27.2mm.
  11. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?

What's the weight limit on the titanium spindled pedals, 150 lbs?

Anyone remember the titanium spindled Campy Super Record quills which did break from time to time?
  12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    if you're heavy and strong enough, you can break damn near ANything.

I think I saw something buried in some Specialized literature, that most of their bikes are designed for max rider weight of 200 or 220 lbs. I'm sure other makers are the same.

if you're not dirt jumping on those pedals, and you're a spinner rather than a masher, you'll be fine.

I snapped a Phil Wood bottom bracket on my road bike once when I was ~ 165 lbs... the non-drive-side crank came completely off mid stroke on a hill climb. ooops!
  13. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt you'll break them, unless you look like this guy.

[​IMG]
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    3:27, 63mi, 4400' of climbing aka the Rappahannock Rough Ride

Buddy of mine and I started late and made our way thru the stragglers to the first rest stop. Everyone was at the first rest stop. They were all standing around shooting the breeze, I knew that if I stopped, I'd get all kinds of stiff so B and I had a cookie and kept going.

Ran into a buddy of ours, G, who we conned into working with us. Now we were 3 bucking a head and/or side wind most of the ride. That extra person really made a difference fighting the headwind lemme tell ya!

Up down up down up down (repeat for the next 40 miles) I swear if the roads we were on weren't pointed up, we were going downhill till the next uphill. :bluduh Now add a nifty headwind and you have recipe for very tired legs by the end of the ride. :nod

We picked up a 4th along the way into Flint Hill. Adding a 4th guy to work in was even mo bettah than having just the 3 of us. :nod

By the time we got to the last rest stop, I needed a bottle refilled, and all of us needed a bite to eat. Quick stop and off we went. Evidently we were the 2nd group on the road on the big loop. Never did see the people in front of us, so I suspect they got down the road from the gun.

Coupla takeaways:

• Headwinds suck but having someone to share em with make em bearable
    • Hills suck (see above)
    • Having people with you makes lots of things better
    • If you're in a group, don't attack the hills. My buddy is notorious for getting to the bottom of a hill and hammering up it regardless of what the group's doing now or has been doing the whole ride. I'll admit I'm probably the weakest link on a hill. ...but I can tow em around at a high rate of speed on the flat, so it makes sense to not kill guys like me off.
    • If you're going to accelerate, do it smoothly so the guys behind you don't have to dig real deep to get on your wheel. (my buddy again)
    • Beers after a ride taste VERY good
    I'm beat. My thighs are tired all the way to the top of my inner quad muscle. 'Course, today IS the 4th big-ish day in a row.

Hope your weekend rides went well too

M
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Go! Gummee! Cool report. Reminds me of so many rides into Eastern Colorado. Rolers we called them since our reference was bigassed mountains.

I finally got to Sports Authority today to pick up a new pair of shoes. Yes, shoes I'm here in Levelland sans bikes, so running is the deal. But, not or much longer.
    I may have a line on some single track mtb action, paid for too!:clap

More on that later.

What is it about running shoes that they are required to get uglier as the years go by? These new ones are hideous even by KLR standards.:lol3

But, they came free by way of me having ridden and run about 600 miles in the companies moveyour fastasses deal we do every year. And every year the fat asses get fatter, though I'm dong my part. "... speed eating sunflower seeds..." or yard waste as I call it. :rofl. so for averaging more than my 15,000 steps per day I got a $100 to Sports Authority, even though I picked Dick's, (just the name is close:evil).
    Anyay tomorrow after I watch the MotoGP race from Misano live via streaming MotoGP.com, I'll see if I can still run,
    Meanwhile since I worked for ten hours today this is my PUI Friday. :freaky
  16. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Pedals:

I had the "click in" type pedals years ago. I assume they still make them??

Is there a pair of those I could get for around $50-ish?

Do they still make the ones that are "regular" on one side,and click in style on the other side??

Any recommendations???

Links appreciated too. :evil
  17. Schlug

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of cheap SPD-type pedals and cleats that you can have if you send me your street addy. They are not double sided and I haven't seen a pair of those in years, but I bet they still make them.
  18. Schlug

Oddometer:
  19. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    It did. Too tired to type out a description...stand by for the dreaded Strava embed:

<IFRAME height=405 src="http://app.strava.com/runs/22075012/embed/0623b5e398c8cbd7d6f48dd347a55f4fcfd14a58" frameBorder=0 width=590 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>

The scenery made the stay in the pain cave tolerable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Bobby...thanks for the link. Those look like they may work perfectly. PM also incoming.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk