Buell Bliss

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by HooliKen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    PM sent
  2. red450

red450 Stuff

Oddometer:
    thanks paul56. I found an 07 XB12R ECM for sale and I need to replace my Uly's ECM since it's failing.
  3. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:

The SS is quite cramped up compared to the Uly. More of a sport bike ergo. I put Uly peg brackets, pegs & bars on the wife's SuperTT, which is basically a SS with longer suspension. It is very comfortable with those mods but it was fairly expensive. Too bad your so far away. Her SuperTT is for sale in the Flea Market but we are in Kansas. Good luck with your search.

Murf
  4. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Knight pegs for my 09 xb12ss made the bike much more comfy and much more affordable than Ulysses parts. The bike to me is more comfortable especially on long rides than the Ulysses . Wind balances the rider out well. More sporty.
  5. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Looked at the Ss, pretty impressive! Murf, you're right about the ergo's, but I think with the lowered pegs (thanks cbig) and risers or maybe bars it will work. Unfortunately this dealer thinks he's sitting on a pot of gold and wasn't interested in 'dealing', so I'm still searching. Would still prefer a Uly, but I'm stuck with what I can spend!
  6. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Bobmws

Oddometer:
    I started sipping the Uly kool-aid when one went in Daytona for $3750! He sold it before I could begin to do any research. That kind of set my price range, both mentally and literally. Not too many Uly's here for sale, more Lightnings available. Unless I see a smoking deal on a lightning I'll hold out for a Uly in my price and travel range.
    Nice bikes, and close to my price range, really like the way you set up the TT. Transport/shipping would knock me out of the deal.
    Question, why are you selling both of them?
  8. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure why I'm selling them. We wanted a couple lighter bikes for our back road touring. I bought a DR 650 to try out. It's O.K. but I'm not really loving it. I think we may keep the Buells but with 5 bikes a car, a truck and a 65 GTO convert project I've got too much stuff. I hope you find what you want.

Murf
  9. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Started a thread with this ? but wanted to quiz the Uly guys here. I want to use Pelican cases ( 1520 or 1550 ) on my Uly. If I buy Happy Trails pucks and put on Pelican cases will they mount up to stock Ulysses rack ?
  10. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

You'll have plenty of room to work with. I mounted 1520's on the Uly that I had, using the HT mounting pucks and the stock racks. I miss that bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    +1

I had the same experience when I went shopping for a bike to replace my BMW F650GS Dakar. Walked into the local HD/Buell shop (Livermore, CA) and there sat a Ulysses, off in the corner. What a GREAT looking bike! There were no less than 4 sales people standing around the showroom with no one else in there, and not one bothered to come over and even talk with me. They treated the bike like it was diseased, staying as far away from it as possible. I finally walked over and asked one of them what they could tell me about it, and their reply was "I don't know anything about it, I sell Harleys". I turned and walked out. A few weeks later I bought a new BMW R1200 GS......

-SM
  12. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    +1 - I felt like I was in one of those Star Trek episodes where someone has moved to another dimension. I could see all the sales people but I seemed to be completely invisible to them (and this is in the head office showroom of the Canadian Harley importer, Trev Deeley). If the importer's staff won't sell the Buells, what is the chance that the average dealer will?

When I moved over and sat on a HOG, I immediately became visible to the sales guys. When I said that I was actually interested in the Buells and not the Sportster, I instantly became invisible again.
  13. Bobmws

Oddometer:
    I'll wager their disinterest was because they didn't see the potential of $5-10K sales of after market chrome & clothing with your Buell purchase. :evil
  14. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Outstanding DirtySouth . That's what I wanted to hear. thanks
  15. Algarve Nick

Algarve Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Ulysses is by far the most comfortable fun bike I've owned or been on. It is a way better tourer than my GS or KTM 950 Adv was and shed loads more fun. I'd love to take it on my fortcoming se Asian trip but I'm not a mechanic. Incidentally I wouldn't go on a modern BMW or a KTM!!
  16. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :lol3 :thumb

996DL
  17. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    The one I just picked up has the HB factory set up on it. I have a set of 1550's with a SW Motech setup on the KTM. I understand the factory KTM Gobi's will mount right up to the existing Buell racks. The 1550's on the KTM are awesome.....the factory Buell stuff is so-so.
  18. pike

pike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got my 05 VFR for sale now and am looking at some Ulys. I missed the seating position on my old dl650 but want a bigger twin for more power. Had a guy wanting to trade a 09 Uly for my bike plus $1500 and I passed but this thread makes me reconsider. Thought about a dl1000 but don't really like their looks.
  19. Hoppalong

Hoppalong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You were smart not to buy and then deal with the parts people. I wasn't.

My experiences with three different HD dealers (trying to find one that didn't treat me like sh!t) has really soured me on HD.

I'll cheer when the last of the EasyRider generation gay-pirates no longer ride and HD goes belly-up. Good riddance!
  20. Sharkguy

Sharkguy chain lube applier

Oddometer:
    When I first got my Uly (I bought it second hand from CL) it was still under warranty. I decided I would take it in to the dealer for a fueling issue I was having. The guy behind the counter who was writing up the ticket asked me "so when you going to buy a real bike?" I held my tongue because after all they were going to be wrenching on my bike. Suffice it to say I won't be going back to a dealership if I can help it.