Zumo 660 + iPhone4S + Sena SMH10... can I do this?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by El Gato, Feb 6, 2012.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Dan makes a good point of just turning off the BT on the Nav IV. You've already got it hard wired into the equation so you'll hear turn by turn directions. You are giving up on screen phone controls, but as it sits there's no way to do that with what you have.

That really is the main issue here and why this is so difficult. If it was like any other GPS that could pair on the Phone only side, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but it just can't. :cry

BTW, you mentioned pairing only the GPS & Phone. While that will work and allow you to see who's calling if you get a call, you really have no way to communicate through the GPS to the phone with nothing else connected, so you can't really talk on the phone with that setup anyways. Doesn't seem that feasible :lol3

So I guess your options are.
    1. Turn of the BT on the Nav IV and just have the turn by turn directions as you have it setup now. Have your phone directly connected to the SMH10
    2. Purchase the SR10 and add in to gain full phone control via the GPS and voice which you are missing.
  2. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm getting dizzy trying to follow the BT/wired signal paths [g], but just had a thought: will the SR-10 really get you full phone function? I don't think so.

The SR-10 would not be able to get a signal from your helmet mic into your phone via the GPS. Hardwiring the GPS to the hub gets you voice directions and maybe incoming phone audio (though I don't think so), but does not accommodate mic input, which has its own separate input in the GPS cradle's wiring harness for those wishing to hardwire a mic (if memory serves me).

Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but my setup would not allow this and I don't think yours will either.

-dan
  3. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Ah crud, you are right. I got lost in the maze of BT stuff too. I just re-read your post again and realized you have your Zumo660 hard wired to the SR10 and that is just for voice navigation into the SR10. Dean already has voice navigation, so that doesn't gain him anything. You are right the mic input won't make it back that way via a hard wired connection.

What about the SR10 actually BT between the SMH10 and Zumo 660? Will it do that and will it pass phone audio both ways?? This is what I was thinking in my mind, but not sure that even works? With as finicky as the Zumo 660 is will it even connect to a device that support HFP only like the SR10?

Danham, since you have all the pieces there, is that something you can test to see if the SR10 be setup to be a BT between the SMH10 & Zumo 660 and then a phone BT to the Zumo and everything is happy?
  4. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a little reluctant to mess with my working setup, but my vague recollection is that I tried this back when, with no luck.

The problem, if I'm remembering correctly, is that the zumo shuts down various internal audio circuits when you plug it in via hardwire. So you can't be running audio out for directions to one destination via wire and Bluetooth out for phone to another.

In other words, it has to be all BT or all hardwire. Once you plug the zumo harness into the SR-10, no more audio out via BT for anything.

Lemme think on this and maybe do some experimenting.

-dan

EDIT: The zumo requires you to enter 1234 on your phone when pairing it, so you won't be able to pair the SR-10 as a phone. And of course it won't pair as an audio device because no A2DP available on the SR-10.
  5. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    That would make sense and definitely not going to happen then. All I can do is shake my head at how crazy it is that a Garmin flagship GPS has so many limitations.
  6. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have owned or used a bunch of Garmin products dating back to the 1990s and though I have plenty of nice things to say about the company (especially its customer service) and its GPS line, it has always acted in a sort of isolationist manner. In other words: my way or the highway, if you'll excuse the pun.

The zumo is an example of that worldview persisting. If it's the only device clamped to your handlebars, it does a very good job of getting you from A to B and also allows a lot of advance trip planning. But it often fails to play nice with others, ranging from computers, to phones, to SD cards, and BT gear.

One reason the "flagship" doesn't have to worry about these limitations is that it has virtually no competition. I never particularly liked the Tom Tom Rider (it's routing resembled that of a drunken sailor at times), but I hear an unconfirmed rumor that it may be coming back to the US in the form of a new model. This might hold Garmin's feet a little closer to the fire.

-dan
  7. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I just gave this a shot again after updating the firmware on the SMH-10 today. Same issue as before: phone pairs to the Sena for phone calls and music, Sena can't pair to the Zumo as the Sena's passcode is "0000" and the Zumo's is "1234".

Freaking ridiculous that something that should be so simple can't work.
  8. Jisei

Jisei Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is old but it is a gem...exactly the info I needed. Thankyou to all the participating inmates!
  9. Abarhan

Abarhan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just an update on my set up with the devices mentioned, I have most of the requirements solved.

Devices:
    iPhone 5S iOS 7.1
    SMH-10R firmware 5.0
    BMW Navigator V (Zumo 660) latest update ??

Desired outcome and needs:
    iPhone to stream music from spotify to headset
    GPS to give prompts over headset
    use GPS screen to navigate calls/phonebook
    Talk to other SMH-10R user over intercom

Method:
    1. Clear and reset to factory defaults
    2. Pair phone to SMH-10R via "phone pairing"
    3. Pair Zumo to SMH-10R via "multipoint pairing" only headset
    4. Pair iPhone to Zumo, select phone and app only
    5. Pair intercoms

The only slight glitch is having to go into the Zumo and select the phone connection, for some reason it won't connect automatically.

Seems to work very well I can: stream music from pandora/spotify, have Zumo to give GPS directions, see who is calling and make calls from iPhone though the Zumo screen and talk to other riders.

The only thing is that you have to go in and turn on the phone on the GPS every time, not a huge deal its 3-4 button presses that I can do with gloves while I wait at a red light if I want to use the phone.
  10. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    So you have this working every time you connect and reliably?

Two things that are interesting
    • You managed to sucessfully pair the Zumo660 as HFP only without it trying to connect an A2DP connection
    • You were able to pair an iPhone with 2 devices simultanously? Maybe only the phone book is pairing with the Zumo, but it seems odd it would allow you to pair the iPhone with both the Sena and the Zumo at the same time, both for phone functions?
  11. bamarider

bamarider Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been on the sidelines for a long time, mostly due to being out of country. I now find myself in a similar situation with the OP.

I have an iPhone 5S, Zumo 550, and SRC system. Goals are the same. Spent a couple of hours getting aquatinted with each system, researching processes ( including this thread), and trying different configurations.

I seem to have fallen into the same solution noted above. It all seems to work, but as yet have not road tested it. I hope to do so today.

One note is that the iPhone does pair with both devices, and in the individual apps you can select the output desired... Or so I found during my experiments last night...

Will report in a few days what I find...
  12. ytadv

ytadv n00b

Oddometer:
    I've read the previous posts and don't feel I have a solid understanding of if what I want will work.

Ideally I'd like users to chime in that have the same setup as myself.

I have an iPhone 5 and a Sena SMH5. I use Siri for phone/music/txt etc. via the Sena and it works great.

I'm in the market for a motorcycle GPS and am considering the Zumo 660 or Montana 600 with the option SR10 Sena Bluetooth dongle.

With the latest sena firmware and zumo firmware is the below scenario possilble

Continue to use my iPhone as I do today (siri, phone/music/txt) while having the Zumo paired to the Sena providing turn by turn navigation.

If the above is not possible would the montana with the SR10 bluetooth dongle provide this functionality.

Thanks and sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here :)
  13. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    The Sena SR10 + Montana will work fine. Technically if you did the Zumo 660 + Sena SR10, it would work fine too. The Sena SR10 is mono only so it pairs to the multi-point connection just fine.

I don't know what to tell you about the Zumo 660 + Sena SMH5 + iPhone. Some claim they have it working, but plenty more have said they have issues.