The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. gaw777

gaw777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write-up. Have been wondering if spending the money is worth it, does one really get a good "bang for their buck." I know what Best Dual Sport Bike has to say, but then again they want to sell a product. Just wish the Q4 was the one putting out the more power and cheaper. Have found a few places where I am having to downshift into first to finish a hill, that extra power would be great to have.
  2. gaw777

gaw777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, did the SpeedoDRD on my bike after I installed a 13T front sprocket. It was about 10.3% off with the 13T. Seems to be spot on with my gps unit now.
  3. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

It's page 15 for me....:lol3 Set your posts per page up to 100. :1drink

Come to the XRL owners thread it has over 50,000 replies. That's ones 500 pages long with 100 posts per page.... :freaky

:beer
  4. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Under braking the fuel pump could suck air and stall. My DL650 does it with 2 gallons or lessin the tank. I consider it a low fuel warning feature.:deal
  5. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:
    I'd think that is a reason to add foam to the tank to control slosh personally.:deal

:beer
  6. goondock

goondock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya about the Q4 but an option I thought of was to just get the powercore 4 setup like I did then if it is too loud or I want to tone it down a bit I can always buy the powercore 4 quiet insert for 35 bucks and from what I read it does decrease the power a bit because it effects the flow, but is "supposed to" sound like the Q4. plus it gives you the option to run it either way. Still researching about this to see if it is worth it. Just throwing that thought out there. but I know the powercore 4 is on back order for a while so if you want the kit sooner rather than later the Q4 might be the way to go.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ore-4--Q4-Quiet-Insert-w--Spark-Arrestor.aspx
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  7. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt the Power Kit makes a diff. But I'd REALLY love to see a dyno of just the fuel controller on a stock pipe. Same bike, same day, same dyno. Back to back please! I'd hazard a guess that most of the power gains are the result of the controller only.

I'm just jaded on pipes. Had them on a few bikes, but other than sounding louder, my butt dyno says no gain. Hell, at least one of them actually hurt performance. One bike I had I got pulled over for pipes (street bike) so I put the stocker back on and left the power commander where it was. No diff!
  8. RockRacing

RockRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have just a powercore 4 on my 250L and I could tell the difference. There is a particular spot on the way home from work that would bog the engine if I dropped below 40mph in 6th. Now, it has no problem getting back up to speed in the same spot.

The seat of the pants dyno feels better overall, but that one exact spot of road gave me a good comparison.
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  9. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    I have the 1 gallon. I'm expecting to pick up an IMS tank on the new year too so I didn't wanna go too big in the rear, as it were. :D
  10. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Ya, I'm a fan of small rears as well. :D

This bike cries out for a larger tank.
  11. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    possibly....but still does it with a full tank. Kind of at a "Stand-Still" with this issue for now, weather is getting a bit chilly for riding, get the odd BONUS day here and there. As reading threw that CBR Thread, many factors can come into play. Fortunately we own 2 250L,s, So, when one has issues and the other doesn't (both bikes run in the same climate/fuel/fuel stabilizers/still stock ...e.t.c ) it allows me to rule out alot of possibilities and leads me to believe it's an isolated issue with just that bike. One runs fantastic (or as it should) and the other has this silly little stalling issue.
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    This whole fuel sloshing/pump sucking air scenario is VERY scary. Ages ago when developing EFI for cars and emissions, the fuel pump vendors were very adamant to NEVER let the pump run dry under any conditions, as a few seconds of dry operation would cause the pump to overheat, burn, and sieze/fail. The WR250R EFI Yamaha has fuel pump issues....and fails them after 20 to 30,000 miles...and this pump is made in china, and is used by a HUGE number of bikes, ATV, etc. I sure hope the issue these Hondas have is not the same as the Yamaha. The Yamaha, for what it's worth, didn't act like this. It would just quit in hot weather...and after a cool down would run for a while, but not for very long or very often...the $200 for a new pump fixed it!!
  13. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    scary indeed! especially considering where the tank/pump is located on a motorcycle in relation to the rider if it decided to erupt into flames...I like my nuts not roasted:kboom....lol
  14. hrcs90

hrcs90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The older BMW F650's single sparks from 01-04 suffered the same kind of stalling. Which was a result of lean fueling around idle speed area and cured with a fuel controller of some type.
  15. hrcs90

hrcs90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would sure hope that the manufacturers learned from there past mistakes. :doh
  16. gaw777

gaw777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not know about the insert, I guess they make something for everything! I like that idea, not a big loud pipe fan. If you go that route keep us posted, I would like to hear what you think/find with your butt dyno. Thanks
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't think there is any worry of flames....but if the Honda fails like the Yamaha, you can be marooned in the middle of frikkin' nowhere!
  18. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also installed the 12 O'clock Labs Speedo DRD on mine using -10.3% as a correction with the 13T sprocket. I just haven't been on it enough since the weathers gotten cold to check it against the gps to see how close I got.
  19. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :) deal :)beer :) evil. GAY!
  20. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For you folks that have installed the FMF exhaust from Best Dual Sport Bikes, what does the ceramic coating that they say is only available through them look like..... as in does it look professionally applied? Does it serve any real purpose on this bike? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$ because FMF headers and mufflers are available elsewhere for less with free shipping. Are BDSB's FMF products any better than standard FMF stuff for the money?