Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    My first IDIOT moment with the WR.

I'm about to install my new turn signals and taillight from SoloRacer. Package comes, all nice, bagged, all the parts are there. I take the stock parts off and, being freezing outside, decide to work on it in my living room instead of the cold garage. I cut my wires the length of the stock wires, fix all the connectors, solder all the connections on top of crimping them, insert the metal pieces in the plastic, and voila. Then I go to install the brackets, only to find out that the nut won't go over the connectors. Damn, I feel dumb.

Work delayed, bike is going to be apart until the weekend :lol3
  2. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run the 120 size T63 for the last 8k miles on mine. I can't think of any good reason to run the 130 size on this bike, it'll just be more weight. Just my 2 cents.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the 120 because that was OEM spec. You'll like the T63. Big improvement in sand and mud.
  4. ggemelos

ggemelos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been reading this thread and thinking of buying a WR250R as a light weight adventurer tourer for a while now. The hope is to build it up over the next year or so for a trip through South America. This thread has been very useful in helping me make the decision. I just picked up a new WR250R today. Now that I have the bike and plans to start working on it, I guess I need the service manual. Please PM me if you know where I can get a copy. Thanks again for all the great information.

Update:
    I found a copy. Thanks for all the help.
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike:clap
  6. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found F/R for $138 @ Chapparel, not bad at all.
  7. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    AVGas- I faced similiar choice last summer and went with the 130 width due to my concerns of internet chatter on them running small. In fact the 130 that I bought measured at 126. You can see some pics and more information at http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7937-what-size-rear-t-63. I am Saddletramp over at that site.
  8. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run the 120 and it looks good on the bike with no clearance problems. The 130 is taller too which I didn't want.

[​IMG]
  9. zimzooma

zimzooma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a new T-63 ready to mount, and it is a 120. My sense is that with the amount of power we have available, the larger tire isn't needed. This will be my 1st T-63 on a WRR though.
  11. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new bike, I hope to be getting one soon - just have to find someone to buy my Tiger first :) I'm also preparing for a trip down South as well, and I hope you keep the thread updated with all you do to your bike.
  12. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    lol, don't feel bad...I made the same mistake when installing mine..
  13. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cannot find a used WR anywhere near me and am getting very frustrated!
  14. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. Alaska, New York...it's winter and I am not shipping this bike no matter where I buy it.
  15. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Well I finally got enough good weather to work on the WRR a few minutes STILL trying to correct the tire/wheel problem I mentioned back in post #32472. Here it is again if you don't want page back: I switched out my OEM deathwing 301 for a Kenda 270 . I am now getting a pogo/bounce action when I get in the 30-40mph range. It seems to be a little more pronounced while slowing down thru that range than speeding up thru it. I have had it computer spin balanced at the dealership, I also checked the balace when it was on the truing stand. I have trued the wheel, rechecked for even bead seat, tried different air pressures(Hard surface so far only). I have increased rebound which helped a small amount, but the problem still exists. Has anyone had this problem or can suggest an area to check. My next step was to re-torque the steering head, but I would rather not play with that mess unless I can be sure I will get some positive results as I have a submounted Scotts dampener that would have to come off also.:ear
  16. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like you need more pre-load on your rear shock. IE that your front floats and more rear pre-load places more down force on your front....
  17. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I switched out my OEM deathwing 301 for a Kenda 270 . I am now getting a pogo/bounce action when I get in the 30-40mph range."

If changing the tire is all you did to introduce the bounce, I'd replace the Kenda 270. Some tires have a heavy spot, mislaid belts, or whatever, so it may be a bad tire.

I like these IRC GP1 for a dualsport tire.

http://motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/search?w=IRC%20GP1

I run the 'lightweight' rim locks, Wheels are stable... well as fast as I want to push the WR250 anyway.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/26096/Motion-Pro-LiteLoc-Rim-Lock-/rim+locks
  18. amtz.zero

amtz.zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here know if a fender from a yz or from a wrF will fit our bikes? Thanks.
  19. N8

N8 Masked pumpkin rider

Oddometer:
    They're so different I'm sure they won't. I have a YZ250.
  20. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO Kinda 270's SUCK !

Life is to short to run suckey tires :rofl