The Porsche Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Bongolia, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:

All are subjective. The 968 is the last of the 944 line with a 3.0 NA Inline 4 with dual overhead cams and vario cam adjustable cam timing and a 6 speed. It puts out (I think) 250ish HP. I would trade a nut for one. Guards red coupe please.:deal

With the price of pristine 968's being in the low teens, hell, they are a great buy. A bit heavier than a 944, but much more refined.

944 turbo. I could write volumes about this car. Can be very reliable, or if you are tweaking the hell out of it for power can be a tweakers nightmare. But I have seen dyno sheets from guys getting over 300 hp at the rear wheel with not a bunch of $$ invested.

944S, nice, but not enough of an improvement over the standard 944 to warrant any special mention.

After owning my 87 944 for over 10 years, and putting 188k miles on it, I can say that I do long for more power (968, or Turbo). It is paid for, cheap to insure, and still places in the top 3 at car shows since the restoration, so I cant complain.

With any of the 944 line, some simple swaps of suspension components can turn a well balanced, fine handling sports car into a corner killer. I have most of a M030 suspension package installed on mine with coil over Bilsteins all around, big sway bars, poly bushings, and lowered. I even had the alignment settings set for track use (hard on tires). This car will get through a corner so hard I have thought about using a neck brace when I auto cross it because it will throw my head around, and do it violently with slicks. The suspension is so good that the car really needs 150 more HP.

I am getting winded, hope this helps.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    It's food for thought. A buddy of mine bought a black on black '85 944 new, the first year of the excellent (vs. ex-924) dash. I drove it a bit, spent a lot of time in it as a passenger. I loved that car, and I've always wanted one. Ironically, he bought it to replace an older C3 Corvette, which was a bit of a joke at the time, but would now be worth a lot more..

For a few years I would scan the Rennlist classifieds religiously, I nearly pulled the trigger on a perfect blue S2 cab once, and once on an equally perfect 968 cab. I'll have to start looking there again.
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Here's another great resource.

http://www.968forums.com/index.php?

968-centric but lots of other water-cooled owners there.
  4. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    HA ha, nice emblems. I work with a guy who has one. One of the few Harley's I'd consider.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    Lornce and davyjones like this.
  5. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the 924S (NOT THE 924)... 944 in sheep's clothing. Even though they are a bit more rare than the 944 their prices seemed to be pushed down by the 924 in their name.

[​IMG]
  6. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    I actually like the look of the 924S, it's a complete sleeper. Do you recall if those had the newer dash, or the old crappy 924 dash? I know they were only offered for 2 or 3 years, 87-89 or so, well after the new dash was in the 944. I remember seeing good examples of these for $2-3k, something stupid. I'm sure it's lower now.
  7. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    It's in my bookmarks, I haven't gone there in a few years, I'll have to check it out.

Nice cab! :thumb One of the Brit Porsche mags just called the 968 cab the only Porsche since the Speedster that looks better in convertible form than the coupe. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I really like the 968 cab. A lot of them came with Tips, unfortunately.
  8. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree. I think the 968 Cab is the best looking convertible Porsche ever made.

Have you driven a Tiptronic? I test drove a couple and, honestly, some times I wish I' have gone that route. In "shift" mode it's virtually no different than a manual trans, and you have the option of being lazy and putting it in D when driving around town. Compared to the 6 speed, and it's requisite close ratios, it's a lot less work when you don't want to "drive."

I also thought I wanted the 030 option. I'm glad I didn't find one that fit my color/mileage/ etc. requirements. I recently priced replacement shocks. Normal Konis are $300 each, the 030 struts are $650/ each.
  9. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old dash, also had steel control arms in front instead of the aluminum ones the 944 had.
  10. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto I knoews I be bad.

Oddometer:
    Read the reviews. Pick it up in the AM. :D
    [​IMG]
  11. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :thumb
  12. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by infoatnmmoto
    Pick it up in the AM. :D

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

More pics? :D
  13. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. KAdriver

KAdriver adventures on asphalt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to polute this thread of nice Porsches' with this.
    What was he thinking?

[​IMG]
  15. Daniii

Daniii geezer

Oddometer:
    He wanted more power?
    Or he needed trunk space?
  16. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    If there's still an engine in the stern, that's fucking cool!~:evil
  17. pirahna

pirahna Long timer

Oddometer:

:becca
  18. Brink

Brink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This belongs in the WTF thread
  19. Daniii

Daniii geezer

Oddometer:
  20. Holden

Holden Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    <object width="425" height="349"></object><object width="425" height="349">[​IMG]
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4R9otzS0ps&rel=0&border=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="349"></object>