Copper Canyon Map for Garmin

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by cwc, Apr 14, 2010.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. quemazon

quemazon n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting these files. They'll be great to have when I head down later this year. I installed the files, but don't see a road from Urique to Samachique. Have you ridden that road? How difficult is it? Thanks.
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that. I forgot to update the link, which I had in several places. It should be fixed now. If you go to the directory where you installed the map there will be an uninstaller there. I recommend uninstalling the file you presently have before installing the latest version.

As far as difficulty goes...I'm a little hesitant to assign a value. I'm in my medicare years and I rode it on my DR350 with only one mishap which was caused by AAIADD. I would rate it with the road from Batopilas to Polanco or the road from Batopilas to Rodeo.

We rode the Urique-Samachique road this year in February. This link has some photos, but not of the "best" parts of course. :rofl

I Hate Mexico, I Love Mexico 2010

When are you going?
  4. quemazon

quemazon n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I'm planning to go in early November. The current plan is to trailer down to creel.

Day 1: Creel to Batopilas
    Day 2: Bato to Urique
    Day 3: Urique to Creel (either through the new road, or through the traditional route).

I'm not a fast rider, but the technical stuff doesn't worry me too much. I'll be on a KLR250. Does that sound overly ambitious? How many hours of riding would you guess? Thanks.
  5. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Only 3 days available? That's too bad. I think it is a good 3 day plan however.

If you go to my site and click on Mexico Links you will find a .pdf of mileage and my hours between some towns. I haven't updated it yet to show the new road, but it took me about 6 hours to go the ~50 miles from Urique to Samachique. I was riding with Bob who took 800+ photos in 10 days and also had to stop once to pick up my bike and once to empty my boots. Those darn Combat Touring boots aren't waterproof once the water goes over the top of them.

In the ride report referenced above somewhere around post #80 is a video that shows a KLR250 on some of the road.

Creel to Bato will be easy. If you are rolling by 9 or 10 you will have plenty of time for sightseeing when you arrive. In Bato if you like hotels with "character" and or are on a tight budget try the Hotel Mary. We used to stay there all the time, but now go to Juanitas. There are many places to stay in Batopilas, but look before you decide to stay.

Batopilas to Urique takes me a full day starting at 8, but if the bridge is done across the Rio Urique about 30 some miles out of Bato that can be shortened a bit. Fording that river with a group and high water can be a long experience. If the bridge is not done and the water is high you will have to turn around and return to Bato. In Urique there are 4 motels. The Canyon on the south part of the main street is about the same as the Mary in Bato. Our recent favorite is just south of the Canyon about two doors. The Estrella is up the hill on your way in, but I like being in the center of town.

There are no real restuarants on any of these routes. In Tubares there are sometimes burritos and most of the tiny towns have a tiendita with water or juice, pop, chips, cookies etc.

More than one local has explained to me that November is harvest time. The roads may have some large trucks on them and some extra care might be in order.
  6. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    Hey Charlie,

I had your 2009 Copper Canyon map in my Zumo 450 as well as Mapsource.

When I tried to load the 2010 file, it loads fine to Mapsource but won't transfer to Zumo. Have tried every which way but just says file is too big for available space which makes no sense. (Says file is 0.2mb and I only have 1900mb available.. ??)

Anyway,blew the supp file away and reloaded 2009 to Zumo and all went fine.

Anybody else had any problems? Or has anybody loaded it successfully to their Zumo?
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't personally loaded the map into a Zumo 450, so can't offer much advice.

Does the Zumo used maps loaded onto the (not supplied) SD card? If so you might try loading your Mexico maps to the card.

If others are having this problem I'd like to know about it.
  8. beemer67

Oddometer:
    Hi Charlie,

The 2009 file is loaded to the SD card where all supplementary maps go. But although the 2010 map looks fine on Mapsource it won't transfer across to the Zumo. I originally wondered if a newer version of Mapsource was causing a problem (lie Garmin trying to restrict non Garmin stuff) but if that was the case the 2009 wouldn't have loaded successfully.

Maybe someone else has had more luck.

Chris
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about the Mapsource version problem. I have two versions loaded. I hate the look of ver. 6.15.6 with it's yellow roads, so I also have 6.13.7 on the system and that's what I used to load my 60Cx chip.

Are you loading directly to the chip or going through the Zumo? I load directly to the chip.

Maybe someone else will give it a try or someone who knows more than we do will provide an answer.

There are only two new roads on the 2010 version, the one from Buena Vista to the highway and the one from Urique to Samachique.
  10. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris,
    You going down south this year? Hope you're doing well.
    Jim
  11. beemer67

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,
    Missed this reply as I was already down in Copper Canyon. For CWC information and others there is now a bridge across the Rio Urique between Batopilas and Tubares. Made it a reasonable days ride from Urique to Batopilas.

I found the start of the Urique to Samachique route but I was by myself on a fully loaded dual sport and wasn't game to tackle the river myself.

For CWC information also, there is now also a bridge across the river on the Maguarachi to Uruachi route. The road on both sides is still bloody rough, but then there is this nice bridge in the middle of nowhere.
  12. beemer67

Oddometer:
    And for other relative GPS newbies out there like myself..... I merrily down loaded many tracks from this site. I then used WINGDB3 to convert to routes. I then loaded them to my SD card in my Zumo in preparation for use once I hit Mexico.

I forgot to actually test them in my Zumo.
    Errors I found - I should have reduced the number of track points to the Zumo route maximum. Although the route had happily transferred to the Zumo SD card, when I tried to transfer into Zumo route memory it failed due to too many via points..

I created my own route following CWC's new Urique to Samachique from his Map file because I couldn't get his 2010 version to load to my Zumo (I had 2009 ver.) It transferred fine to the SD card. When I went to transfer it into Zumo route memory it failed becuase it couldn't find any "roads" to start from. Not sure how to get around this one.

I should have created the reverse of every route I loaded as the Zumo doesn't have a reverse facility like say the Quests do. You can do it easily enough in Mapsource just not in the Zumo.
  13. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think when I get back from Mexico I'll try to find someone with a ZUMO and see if I can get to the bottom of this.

The roads on my map are not routable and that may be the problem.:dunno
  14. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to suss out this GPS business as I'm in Creel at the moment heading to Batopilas maybe today maybe tomorrow and hoping to go through to Choix

As I downloaded my Garmin maps I don't have them on my laptop only my 550 Zumo I cn't do anything on the laptop on transfer the trails but I cant see them on the lappy

I can't join GPS Exchange because I don't save my routes as I can't see them on my laptop so trying to source a GPS trail is fun

any ideas how to find the trail from Bato to Choix? I was just going to see where trails lead me and hope for the best, is that being foolish?
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just in case yo haven't left yet:

Learn to say "Donde vaya este camino". That means where does this road go.

In Batopilas ask for the road to Rodeo.
    After Rodeo ask the above question when the road isn't obvious.
    The answers should be Tubares and then Choix.
    After leaving Tubares it's hard to make a wrong turn, but I'm sure it can be done.

Leave Bato early in the morning to allow time for pathfinding. Buy your breakfast the night before.

There are some very basic maps of the area in .pdf format at the links page of the link in my signature.
  16. olyflyer

olyflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sniffed out the way, was fairly easy, just followed the most used road, it's basically a dirt highway on the western side, was nowhere as hard as what I was expecting just the first bit which seemed the same as heading into Bato, just up, up, up!!

I did get a flat front half way

[​IMG]
  17. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is great. Thanks for putting the time in and sharing.
  18. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    What GPS did you install the map in?
  19. WilderRider

WilderRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had not yet, but was going to on my 60csx. I was even planning on just putting a bunch of MX stuff on a separate SD card and swapping it out when I got south of the border.