The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    The ability to disable the toys accomplishes this somewhat. Of course then the purists have to pay for features they may not want. By including them as standard, however, it simplifies and lowers the cost of production overall. So those of us who want those features such as ABS and Traction Control actually get them at a lower cost than an a la carte ordering system.:clap
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I think this is smart by Triumph, as the de riguer features will be standard, leaving the customer to add lights, luggage, and other farkles as needed.

BMW customers may see the base price of a 1200GS, but no-one actually orders a base GS.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    They may be right, but I wouldn't put much credence into a statement like this from a dealer - they seldom know any more than us, and further, they're spring-loaded to always say what will sell what they have today (or in this case, will be getting shortly), not what might be further into the future.

- Mark
  4. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    I was speaking to a friend today who's brother-in-law's father has V.P. in his title at Triumph in the USA. His sister hosted Thanksgiving yesterday and after a few bottles of wine and some bourbon he tried to feel out the inside track. Neither the brother-in-law or father would say anything directly but hinted at prices "starting under the S10 making the GS look like a ripoff..." And a model that will be a "direct competition to the GSA..."

What all that means, I really don't know but it sounds good...
  5. r1d1

r1d1 Stounloon

Oddometer:
    That's what I was hoping for now, by the time a larger tank model is announced, my money will have gone elsewhere.
  6. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    Oh man that would seal the deal for me. Where do I place my deposit? Bet they'd have trouble keeping dealers supplied at that price point...

Of course it could mean some nice used GSs flooding the market...
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Straight from his friend's sister's husband's father. :rofl
  8. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    I rode my MTS1200 to the IMS Dallas last year, demoed the S10 then ordered a couple of months later. Leaving this weekend for IMS Dallas, riding on the S10, gonna look at and touch the Explorer, but don't think demos are offered tho, so that might save me.

I am a big fan of CC. Love the ABS and TC on the S10 and will be very hard to give up.
  9. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey David, I think what you're going to find at the show is a shell and not a running bike so it's going to feel light. Very interested in your impression.
  10. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    Correction!

Straight from his friend's sister's husband's slightly drunk father.
  11. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to the Dallas show next weekend to get a closer look at this new Triumph. Hope I can get near it. This one is already creating a lot of interest!
  12. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonder if the BMW CEO is going to "go off"' on the "they should be ashamed" triumph again, as he did on der 800 intro ? Arent the new 1200GS liquidcooled ? Hope they didnt "copy" triumph on that... :hmmmmm:lurk
  13. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to my info, the new Tiger Explorer will come on the market with an 20 litre fuel capacity (Fuel tank that is).
    I'm not sure what the fuel economy will be of Triumph's new 3 cylinder. The MK1 Tiger (1994) was great, but thirsty. Haven't got a clue what the fuel economy of today's modern Triumphs are. The 800(XC) scores really good figures...

It sure is an interesting option to replace my current Honda XL1000V Varadero (the Crosstourer isn't), together with the Yamaha S10. Keen on a test ride next spring. The Duc MST isn't an option. Reliability matters. And with over 10.000 miles a year I'm keen to get an replacement with shaft ride in stead of chain/sprockets.

The BMW GS isn't an option. Cause everyone already has one... ;)
  14. Bain Dramage

Bain Dramage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't see Triumph pricing the 1200 at less than the Tenere, unless they drop their 800 XC price as well - and that's not likely to happen.

I think the USA will see the Triumph 1200 in the $15,500 - $ 17,500 range, which - when you look at the features - would effectively draw a LOT of business away from BMW.

It's interesting to note that when you compare the F800GS pricing with Triumph's Tiger 800 XC pricing, you see that Triumph didn't exactly undercut BMW.

The Tenere - fine bike that it is - is not really competition for the BMW bikes, any more than the Toyota Corolla is competition for the Honda Accord. These products address two different segments of the market, and are aimed at buyers in looking for two different riding experiences (albeit possibly the same destinations).

I agree with those who long for more fuel - and more range - out of the Triumph 1200. That's one of the areas BMW hit a home-run with on their bike. I have gone 300+ miles between fuel stops many times, and anything called "adventure" that runs dry after 225 miles is (for me) a disappointment. I think 7.5 gals would be much better for the Triumph, but I'm sure they have their reasons for installing a smaller tank.

I hope the 1200 Explorer is immensly successful for Triumph, just as it seems the 1200 Tenere is for Yamaha.

Look for water-cooled Boxers in 2013.
  15. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    :photog:choppa

996DL
  16. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    If when you say "Tenere", you're talking about the Super Tenere, then you're WAY off base here. The R1200GS and Super Tenere are extremely close in spec and are by far the most similar bikes adventure bike segment. They're about the same size, weight, power, both twins, same displacment, both shaft drive, both have identical size wheels, power characteristics, accessories, etc. MCN just did a one-on-one direct comparison test because they're direct competitors with one another. Yamaha has publically stated that they designed the S10 to compete directly with the R1200GS.

- Mark
  17. Bain Dramage

Oddometer:
    I disagree.

I think the Triumph 1200 will compete with the BMW, but not the Super Tenere.

If that's Yamaha's claim, then they aren't being realistic.
  18. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Last I checked the Tiger XC is $1000 US less than the F800GS .... similarly equipped. If you read Magazine tests ... several have pointed this out.
    :eek1 And what "two different segments of the market" were you thinking? The GS and 1200 Tenere ARE in the same class and bring in the same sort of riders ... generally. Where you get the Corolla vs. Accord analogy is curiously .... damaged logic! :rofl

You have no idea what Adventure riding is mate.
    Sounds like you're more into Iron Butt type rides? ... the most ridiculous and wasteful sort of riding ever invented ... and just plain boring. :muutt

I was doing Adventure riding in the 1960's, riding Baja alone on my Honda CL175 with two gallons of fuel, and later toured Mexico and Cent. America on a borrowed Jawa 350. Neither could go more than 125 miles per tank. Never had a problem. (due to fuel)

I've since ridden bits of Africa and Asia on 125's, much of the EU ... and more. Mostly on bikes with no more than 150 to 200 mile range.

This Big Range thing is more BMW hype/mythology ... and the GS Adventure is proof positive BMW have NO CLUE what an Adventure bike should be; It's a Pig, a poser ... a touring rig playing Dakar dress-up.

It's riders really no different than Harley clones in Pirate costumes vs. BMW Tourtech queens in Twat suits ... and it's down right dangerous off road.
    [​IMG]
    Broken femur ... coming up.
  19. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb:lol3
  20. Bain Dramage

Oddometer:
    Oh my, Mr Grifter - so sorry you got your undies in a bunch over a different perspective.

I stand by my statements, and we simply disagree on several points.

You may want do do a bit more research. Just a thought.

TTFN