Help- Tenere vs. Concours- which one???

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by FacePalm, Nov 25, 2012.

1. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Love my Connie (it's got 87,000km on it now), don't think I'll every sell it. Wouldn't mind trading the Vee on S10...
  2. yfis

yfis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just selled my S10 and bought a concour 2012...

My S10 was good, but not fantastic for me (spokesquality, twincaracter too lazy, luggage too small, shitty sideboxes,... ) . It's a tourer who looks like a big trail.

Nice looks , but for almost the same price i have now the C14.
  3. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    Apples and Oranges.. I have a Super Tenere and a FJR 1300. Perfect combo..
    Berardi3 likes this.
  4. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll have to come 'touring' some time. Bring your C14.:wink::D

[​IMG]
  5. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Close?

[​IMG]
  6. yfis

yfis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,Sure it's heavy but still not a boat, he...

No Serious , i did'nt do that with my S10 before, so nothing changes for me .

For messing around like that I use a XT660R from my work...:D

[​IMG]
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To pavement, yes.:wink::D
  8. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Hey man, that's 10 km of really (cough) gnarly (cough) gravel! I came very close to almost nearly getting the tail out...
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't there another thread on "Stories to tell your grandkids"?. Or you could start one.:D
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great bike that we will never have in the US.
  11. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    If you actually want to ever go on a gravel road then the SuperT is your bike. It has way better ergos for your legs and back also. And best of all it has only a minimal fairing:clap. Bikes with full coverage fairings are a PIA to deal with.
  12. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    Last summer, I narrowed it down to the C14 and the S10 - then I bought an Explorer. :lol3

The Explorer gives up less as a road bike than the S10. More power and it even has cruise control, yet you sit in a nice upright position. I see it an SUV motorcycle.
  13. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Now, that is funny right there! We do have some good choices in bikes right now!
  14. Jake Mountain

Jake Mountain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me you have an easy choice. Get paid to ride the living day lights out of a Connie chasing down speeders, and buy the S10 for off duty "work"
  15. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I disagree. Buy the Tenere and then you can't catch me speeding.:D
  16. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have both. 2 different animals but if I have to choose...tough choice...C14.
    I rode 49K miles on the C14 and only 4k on the SuperT.
  17. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, as most of the sport tourer owners with a Tenere say that if they were forced to choose they would keep the Tenere. The Yamaha Super Tenere forum poll shows that about a third of the owners are from FJRs and similar sport tourers.
  18. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Where you are from and what type roads you have and what kind of riding you like to do and don't forget what bikes your buddies have.
  19. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is common to a lot of people their last bike is the best ... no buyers remorse attitude. Again I have both and none is for sale.
  20. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    I'm in this very same predicament: Looking to buy either a leftover 2012 Concours or a 2013 S10.

I do have the luxury of having a 2000 Concours that I planned on keeping anyway (she's got 77k miles, I'm third owner, and it has a salvage title, so no point trying to sell it whole again) that works very nicely as my long-distance, high-speed tourer.

Sure, it needs about $1500 worth of work right now (front and rear suspension both need to be redone, with new bushings, fork seals, etc.) Also needs new mufflers (rust), centre stand (MORE rust) and brakes (and brake lines.)

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to nickel and dime me, but I love it. It was my first "real bike" (I had a Ninja 500 before this) and I've ridden it over 50k miles in the past 3 years, so I'm not ready to just give up on it yet! (I honestly just want to get it to the point where I get my 100k sticker from the Owners' Group...)

Concours 14 is faster than anything I'll ever imagine myself wanting to go. The maintenance on it also scares the living shit out of me. The S10 was a wildcard for me, but the more I look at it (and the more times I bother the local dealer about it) the more I want one.

Maybe I have some sort of weird fantasy of riding out to Moab and seeing all that beautiful desert. Or maybe it's the dream of riding up to Happy Valley-Goose Bay. (The Darien gap is on that list too, but I think I'd do that on a KLR...) In any event, I can't afford/refuse to pay $20k for a BMW. So the S10 seems like it will fit the bill nicely.

That being said, I also do my own maintenance, and I am curious: how has the S10 been to live with day-to-day? Easy work for the most part?