KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    Ok... well a little update....

I got the plug I wanted to try and so far so good.... Here are a few pics...

[​IMG]
    165 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    163 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

When installing the plug the little O ring peeled off but I haven't had any leakage since I upt it on. Probably going to change the oil soon so will see how it works out....

I really like the way it turned out.

WP
  2. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    original visor

Attached Files:

3. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fitting and trimming

Attached Files:

4. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    trim

Attached Files:

5. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    fitting

Attached Files:

6. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    harware

Attached Files:

7. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the forum and the person who originally mentioned the free mod, made a great night off of work project.:clap

Attached Files:

8. Davos9901

Davos9901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    out for a test ride.:eek1
  9. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. ADVdrming

ADVdrming Day dreamer of ADV

Oddometer:
    That's creative for sure, good job! :clap
  11. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know how it worked at your height. :ear
  12. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    She's wearing Hayes Diversified new take-off body work that has spent a few years riding around in the South Carolina sun... where do I start?

Mikuni TM41mm ProSeries flatslide carb w/stock location choke via custom cable; Magura Duo314 quick throttle w/custom cable; Megacycle x5 Camshafts w/KACR; R&D valve springs w/titanium tops shim/over type; Cylinder head mild porting & polished exhaust; custom Kibblewhite stainless steel valves; intake manifold spacer for float bowl/starter motor clearance; stock airbox w/modified openings & airbox/carb boot; K&N prefilter & K&N gauze-type filter; OEM kickstarter option; 3/5 Barnett HD clutch springs; KLR600 muffler; K&N airfuel ratio monitor w/sensor bung welded to header; Magura KTM OEM hydraulic clutch w/custom line, heat guard & line running 2.5wt suspension fluid; Lindemann custom fork springs; RaceTech Gold Valve emulators; custom Fox Twin-Clicker rear shock w/remote resorvoir; Tengai rear caliper carrier & disc protectors; DR650 serrated footpegs on stock welded-to-frame brackets; FZR1000 front turn signals; '88 FZR1000 dual headlight bucket w/custom carrier, relay-protected wiring harness & PIAA Intense White H4 bulbs; Euro headlight switch assembly; FIAMM dual horns w/relay-protection; Renthal Desert CR bars w/ 3/4" removed each end; Maier WoodsPro heavy duty full metal barkbusters; Maier large handguard/cups; EBC 320mm full floater front brake disc; ZX600A3 front brake master cylinder; ZX750A4 BACR-front brake caliper; custom stainless steel brake lines front & rear; 80-LED rear brake/running light bar under luggage rack; 32-LED 1157 rear bulb; Napoleon LH mirror short stem on KLR600 mirror bracket; ScotOiler w/dual-injector mounted in place of LH starter motor solenoid/bracket; redundant wiring & cables ziptied in place for easy trail or road-side replacement; 2RS bearings throughout; FT500 Ascot rear turn signals; unknown brand saddlebag guards in picture now hanging on the wall; Moose bash plate; stupid footpeg-equipped "engine protector" off the bike- a real p-o-s bent into my radiator hose and almost cut it when we fell at 0mph on hydraulic fluid at a stop sign- needs triangulation the square-tubing just kinks (hey it was free); Eagle Mike doohickey & torsion spring; custom 350w stator; Accel HT lead; Electrosport HD regulator/rectifier in custom location; custom engine mount plates & brackets; through-bolts on luggage rack (but not sub-frame!); Renthal RS4 chain w/rivet clip currently geared -1front +3rear running D606 DOT knobbies front & rear (D607s on in this photo w/+1front) An important addition: I used the internals from a ZX600A1 petcock in mine- now I have on, reserve and the all-important PRIME so I don't kill the battery sucking the fuel valve diaphragm back when I run out of gas... and we know how fast singles run out of gas, don't we?

She has worn ProCircuit 496s & a SuperTrapp w/19discs before- great power, just too loud for my liking as I've gotten older, now with the KLR600 muffler the bike is SO quiet I can sneak around at night and no-one's the wiser With the SuperTrapp & exhaust gas analysis I was able to double my stock horsepower and gained almost a 3rd more torque on Factory Racing's Mustang eddy-flow dyno in San Rafael California (thanks Marc!)

She's seen 122mph on flat ground many times (verified off other bikes), now I have a KTM950 Adventure for all that foolishness and max out just over 90 with the lower gearing

All in all the best bike I've ever owned, and has taken me more places and helped me do things I could never have done on another bike.

When my first doohickey failed in 1991, there wasn't even a nickname for this part. The cam chain jumped timing so it came apart @ 18,751 and that is when ALL the engine work was done (by me) with the exception of the 3-angle valve job by Mike Crowther of Engine Dynamics fame on a then-state of the art SERDI Valve Machine (I would eventually work for him years later). I went ahead and put a +0.5mm (1st over) OEM piston as I could get dealer prices back then.

I DON'T use or believe in the PCV valve "fix" (see my "Hoax" post) and she doesn't use oil, period. Having spent thousands of hours in the saddle brings confidence and I ride this thing hard all the time, unless I'm in stealth mode which usually means in a park illegally at night.

I have gotten as high as 70mpg when cruising on the slab... I have a universal windscreen that clamps to the handlebars and attaches in seconds and a throttle lock for making time easy...

This bike has run from the police (successfully 100%) 64 times and been crashed more times than I can remember. I looped a wheelie @ 60mph right after I put the carb on and was running rich- it cartwheeled down the street like it was in a Hollywood action flick- when it was over, I folded out the pegs and rode her home. Try that on a sportbike!

I've ridden cross-country, done Cal24hrs, Nevada1100 & Utah1000 on her, ridden in snow, sand, ice, across rivers and up creeks. I've dualsported her with knobs to the top of 14 states... couriered, Sunday Morning Ride (the original in SF CA), roadraced, barrel raced, track dayed, and taken some girls for the ride of their lives (thanks for being such a good passenger mount, adds to their confidence too)

I know when I get on stock KLRs (any year) I don't like how they feel and can't see how people can own one without modding the hell out of them- mine just fits me SO well now, so well planted

Speaking of I forgot the Fox Twin Clicker is off and a White Power fully adjustable is on her now, so much more compliance offroad as I had the Fox setup for hard, fast street riding in Northern California

she's no garage queen and I wear every scar and dirt with the pride of having been somewhere the guys in the SUVs & Jeeps haven't, and while putting myself at real risk

Brittus
  13. scottzilla

scottzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geo: I was going to jokingly ask if you did the doo but I see you did. :D
    How many miles did you wait to install the Em doo?
    How is the Em doo holding up? I'm asking because we all know the stock springs suck and ive never read of a super high mileage engine with the Em stuff installed. You may possibly have the highest mileage aftermarket parts in existence. :eek1
  14. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me say:

Holy Shit man !

bravo !
  15. azjeff

azjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    about a KLR and the experience of being REAL RIDER...:bow:bow
  16. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Filled up with gas and when I got home it was running out the petcock. Best place to get a new one? any suggestions?
    Thanks
  17. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    You can buy the o-rings and diaphragm from the dealer and rebuild it. Just drain the gas first.:lol3
  18. Ddodge

Ddodge Harmless Heretic

Oddometer:
    Gonna list these just for the fun of it: Black '09

Doo
    Thermo-Bob
    Stainless rear brake line
    Stainless chassis screws (polished, of course)
    Stainless engine screws (ditto)
    HT skid plate (sprayed with bed liner)
    HT crash bars
    EM .75 risers
    Barkbusters
    Sargent Low
    Ricor Intiminators
    Mud guard for shock
    D606 rear
    Watt-man temp plate
    Kawasaki Saddlebags and Top bag
    Magnetic tank bag
    DR650 pegs
    Fairing stickers removed
    Subframe bolt upgrade

Whew!
  19. 06ltd

06ltd Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Intinimators arrived in the mail the other day so once they're in I think I'll be done for a while. Up to now on my red '08:

705 kit and head port by M-Tech
    1mm oversized valves
    KLX needle and 160 main, slide drilled
    PCV valve
    Doohickey spring
    Deep hole fix
    Uni Filter in drilled air box
    SS front brake line
    Barnett clutch springs
    Moose rear rack w/ 40mm ammo cans
    16T front sprocket
    painted wheels
    Top Gun 6.6 rear spring
    throttle lock
    Stebel Air horn on TT bracket
    KLR tail pack
    Tank bag
    V&H XCR full exhaust
  20. Ddodge

Ddodge Harmless Heretic

Oddometer:

You're gonna love the Intiminators! Mine has yet to throw me since I got them and the pavement braking is like night and day.