The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I am confident that I can produce anything they've shown on any part of any episode I've seen of that show with less drama and more awesome.

I am an engineer, CNC machinist, and gun enthusiast.
  2. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

If you don't want it I might be interested.
  3. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    I passed on it. I just bought a .30 Carbine and I couldn't justify the additional expense.

It is in my brother's personal collection and he says it isn't leaving. He has a lot of cool stuff.
  4. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I certainly believe that!
    Even without the theatrics (no doubt encouraged by the director and certainly not anything that helps the shop be productive), no one there impresses me as being particularly brilliant.
    I do wonder as to whether they have the capability to 'reverse engineer' some of what they end up producing or if the programs are out there for sale to 'plug in to' a CNC? My very limited machine shop time ended almost 40 years ago so I am always impressed with what 'appears' when they pop it off the mill.
    That said, there isn't much that has come from that shop that I really wanted to own.

Bruce
  5. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

But do you have one of these?:rofl

[​IMG]
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    Youtube videos! :clap
  7. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I will add a +3 to the PMC Bronze stuff. But, really, I tend to buy whatever happens to be on sale as long as it is either PMC, or US made ammo like Federal or Winchester which is my favorite primarily because I'm a fervent handloader and love Winchester brass for the 223 better than any other brand. Awesome stuff.

What I would NOT use is the steel cased Bear or other Russian or Eastern Euro manufactured cheap stuff with the shellac coating. I use that in my AK 47, mostly because I don't handload 7.62x39 and it's neither easy nor inexpensive to find brass case ammo in that caliber, but nowhere else. Period. BTW, when my son was 12 (he's now 34) and took hunter safety and wanted to hunt, I bought him a Mini-30. He still has it. I liked that gun for him because of the light weight, low recoil, (marginally) adequate power for deer at under 100 yards, and also the fact that, since the kiddo is left-handed, he could deal with a semi-auto slightly better than with a right-handed bolt. We never shot crap steel-cased ammo in that gun, always made sure we could find some decent brass stuff even though it cost about twice as much.
  8. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I'm an engineer... so, no. :lol3
  9. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  10. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    Ok so I had a few minutes at the local dealer, and I've been thinking about snubby revolvers lately.

Held a S&W Bodyguard and an Airweight, neither really felt that good in my hands, grips just felt tiny. Picked up an LCR in .38 spl and loved the fit and trigger feel. The .357 felt the same, but felt just a hair heavier (which, from what I've read about snubbies, is a good thing).

have not held an SP101, but that is also on the list to look at.

Any thoughts on the relative merits? I hear a lot about SP101, but not much about the LCR, anything to watch out for with it? (yes, I know, polymer is evil, but any real-world issues?)

edit: Oh, and I already have an LC9 and a GP100, if I buy another Ruger does it mean there's something wrong with me? :lol3
  11. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to shooting after a five-year hiatus.

[​IMG]

Hubba hubba. :clap
  12. HardCase

Oddometer:
    I have a 3" barrel SP101. Great little gun. Pretty chunky, built like a tank. Shoots well. I like it a lot. I don't have the LCR, but a friend does. It's a real lightweight, double-action only (the SP can be shot either double or single action, an option I personally like a lot), and more intended for CCW use. An SP would make a fine CCW gun, but it'd need to be carried in a holster, is too heavy for pocket carry in anything other than a very heavy jacket. I guess your choice should be determined by the use to which you intend to put it.
  13. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    Just got sighted my H&R 17HMR.. HOLLY ACCURACY!!! I'm loving it!

BTW, that's my new backyard little range, can't walk on water yet, but I'm guessing a little over 100 yards.. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    That's really good information HardCase, thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for.

How do you find the trigger (especially used DA) on the SP101. One of the things that is making me consider DAO is that the trigger on my GP100 is (for my taste) too touchy SA, and somewhat clunky DA.

Appreciate you taking the time :thumb
  15. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily look at those guns as being in the same category. I think they are both pretty cool, but as a GUN the SP101 is a better piece. The things you are going to get that differentiate the LCR, have nothing to do with making it a better gun per se; they are all about weight and profile.

Maybe I am missing something, but seems like it really just comes down to whether you want to carry in your pocket. If not, the SP101 is a heckuva gun.
  16. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any real world experience with this pistol?

Seems to have a real low recoil, reliable & be Extremely Accurate even out to a hundred yards...

THANKS,
  18. HardCase

Oddometer:
    I find the DA trigger to be a little heavy, but not too bad. Same with the SA compared to, say, a nice S&W K frame like one of the older 19s or 66s. But it's certainly functional and doesn't take too much getting used to. There are spring kits available that supposedly lighten it up, and don't involve a lot of complex gunsmithing. One of these days I'll probably do that to mine, but I did find that putting about 400 rounds through it helped the trigger somewhat.
  19. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I've shot about twenty rounds through one. It lived up to the hype. I want one, but just can't justify the expense for something I'm never going to use for its intended purpose, and uses pricey ammo to boot.
  20. Boondoggle

Oddometer:
    My kind of trigger mod.

I might get a chance to shoot both this week. I've shot a fair amount but would certainly consider myself a "novice" shooter. If I get to try them I will come back with impressions.

Thanks again