Sport Tourers; Where Art Thou?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Rider, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    How sporting is anything likely to be if it involves wearing a "sport coat" rather than, say, a "blazer"? Why blather on about the definition?
    Sport bikes are light and handle well and have abundant power, a subjective thing; and touring bikes are big and heavy and carry a lot. Another subjective thing. And "sport touring" bikes are either neither or they're both, depending on who's making the assessment. But the "sport" thing defies definition as much as any other term.

[​IMG]
    Sport Coat.
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Hmm. It's defined by too short sleeves, fall badly, and crumple in weird places? Then, no thanks. :lol3
  3. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    We'll put you down as a blazer guy.

Actually, you could just about be describing me a lot of the time. Guess I'm a sport coat.
  4. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. What about getting clothes that actually fit? :rofl

I'm more a t-shirt or sometimes polo shirt kind of guy. Work at a company with a "we don't have no stinking suits" attitude ... :lol3
  6. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    How's your back on the FJR? Or have you gotten past those issues?
  7. Rider

Oddometer:
    My back's not a huge issue anymore, Chuck. I've learned to work around it and baby it by sleeping differently, stretching, etc.
    The slight lean on the FJR is actually good for my back, much better than leaning back, which puts way too much stress on my lower discs (one reason I could never own a cruiser).
    Traxx likes this.
  8. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have experience of the Triumph Sprint RS? :ear
  10. 84blue

84blue Its time to ride somethin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my sport tourer. I just put on 3600 miles visiting both the gulf coast and the east coast.

[​IMG]
    greggski, gen1fizzy and Traxx like this.
  11. Chel_in_IL

Chel_in_IL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother has an R1200RT and I consider it as much a sport tourer as my ST1100.
  12. Chel_in_IL

Chel_in_IL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. wondering if you realize that the #5 finisher in the posted IBA list had a fatal accident two weeks ago.........
  13. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do. The fatal accident was during a 24hr rally based here in Mpls. I had lunch with a good friend of his, and past rally competitor today, in fact. We talked about it a bit again today, since he was just at the memorial service.

Sobering. Sad. Unfortunate. Avoidable? I dunno. But there was big group of DNFs at the bottom of that list, a couple of those were local riders whom I've met. A fatality in Oregon during a rally last year... Overall, pretty shitty odds for events put on by a group devoted to 'promoting the sport of safe long distance riding'.
  14. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    They aren't cool. I bought my R1150RT mainly because it was a deal that I couldn't pass up. But the damn thing suits my riding perfectly.
  15. Rider

Oddometer:
    Ain't nothing wrong with that! :thumb
    CCitis likes this.
  16. Rider

Oddometer:
    Which is why I really don't like long distance competition.
  17. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have a sport tour, but I sure want one. :evil Other then the brief talk of MG Norge1200 and Suzuki GSX1250FA. No one talks or brings up Triumph Sprint GT, BMW K1300S or even the Yamaha FZ1. I would (and will soon) pick up one of these to tour on. We have great roads and places to see around MD. Plus they are all fairly good if not great at two up. Just wish there was a MG dealer closer then PA. Not for support, we have two dealers around here who are authorized to work and sell them, they just don't carry them. I just want to put a leg over one and see how it fits. I'm 6'2" at 230. I am curious though. Couldn't ANY bike be a sport tour? Not going by industry standards :deal but personal preference. I'm not saying, just saying...
  18. Rider

Oddometer:
    If it's sporty and you tour on it, it's a sport tourer. :deal
    I mean, yeah, you're absolutely right. The Norge is a perfect example of a factory sport tourer and the Bandit is one of the most underrated bikes made and perfectly suited for touring.
  19. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    What pains me is when I actually do see sport touring bikes in the wild, they're ridden by grey hairs in loafers.

ST1300s seem especially prone to this.

The only K16 sightings I've made in the wild are a local guy on a white GT who wears a skullcap that couldn't possibly be DOT, and T shirts and shorts or jeans, and just yesterday a silver GTL in NH ridden by a geezer, without a helmet, in a tank top. I could see the white hair of his shoulders as he passed, without returning my wave.

What kind of fucker buys one of the worlds highest performance motorcycles then wears a tank top on it? A stupid fucker. Kids do it on gixxers, grandpas do it on big STs.
  20. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned both the GSX1250FA and a BMW K1200S. At 6'2" you'll be a better fit on the K1300S than on the Suzuki. I'm also 6'2" and 200lbs and while the Suzuki worked, it got a little cramped after a few hours on the highway. Now I have an FJR and really wish I had the K12S back. While the FJR works perfectly I'm finding it's a bit more of a touring bike than I'd like.