Yamaha XV920

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jun 8, 2009.

1. BIG ED XT FAN

BIG ED XT FAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    NICE!! XV 920s are yamahas way cool!!
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
  3. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    always had a hard on for one of these don't ask me why. one popped up a couple of weeks ago in michigan about 20 miles from my son's house.
    4,000 miles, from the sellers description, is 100% running, riding, cosmetically beautiful. went back and forth on price, agreed on $1500.00. picking it up in two weeks.

[​IMG]
  4. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Somebody should buy this to keep it from being parted out. It appears stock but for the pipes and possibly lower-than-stock bars. I have an '82.
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Cool. Ride it a while, you'll like it. Mine wasn't perfect, the clearcoat was "spider webbing" and I easily sold it for $ 2000.
  6. cccbarkbuster

cccbarkbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I raced an 81 in the BOT at Grattan raceway in Mi. and Road America in Wi. in 81. I ran 3rd on the track at R.A. and got beat by 2 Ducatis, that were running the race kit pipes and carbs. It was a good race till the 3rd turn at R.A. then the Ducks just motored away. I protested and was awarded the win but it was a hollow win,as I did not learn of the decision till later in the week, but I did beat all the other stockers that day.
  7. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    I remember riding a brand new 750 Virago back in '83. At the time it was all wrong for me, the whole cruiser thing didn't click with me. I rode an old Sporty at the time (with a CB836/4 for the hot stuff), but even the Sporty had flat bars on it, this Virago thingy had bars that turned me into a windsock! WTF! :lol3 Nice smooth motor though.

I've often thought in the last few years though (some 30-odd later), an XV1000 or XV1100 would make a great project for a REAL hotrod, I know the engines are massively over-engineered. By real I mean some serious grunt, take off a heap of weight, then take it to the drags and put the fear of God into the HD twin-cam boys with a Jappa. :clap

I don't rekn I'd be very popular, those HD boys are pretty serious about what constitutes a "proper" V-twin........
  8. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    '82 Yamaha XV920RJ project - SOLD: THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST!!!

<HR>Date: 2012-02-19, 4:21PM EST

Reply to: <SMALL>your anonymous craigslist address will appear here</SMALL> <HR>
    Fully enclosed chain-drive Euro standard version, NOT a Virago cruiser

It's a project. You'll need a pickup or a trailer to get it home. It has lived outside most of the time I've owned it so it is weathered but basically sound. I began taking it apart for cleaning and general refurb and found a good deal on another bike I have always wanted and bought it. Room and time for only one so the 920 goes. I'm piecing it back together so buy it soon and save me the trouble or wait and take your chances.

Third owner, mine since '89. Silver/black '82, which is the second and the final year imported to the U.S. 60,xxx miles. Fully enclosed chain drive. Progressive fork springs and rear spring. Bridgestone S11 tires that have low miles but a few parked years. Krauser hard bags and mounts. Recent starter and battery.

At the very least it will need an exhaust and a couple of carb rebuild kits, in addition to the obvious reassembly. The original exhaust is included but it rusted out years ago, and the replacement MAC 2-into-1 is rusted through also.

It also comes with a lot of stuff that some might consider to be gold and others junk:

Factory shop manual and Haynes manual, owner's manual, original tool kit and original combo chain lock.
    Period issues of Cycle Guide and Motorcyclist magazines featuring road tests and upgrade articles.
    Spare 920 chain-drive R engine with 6,xxx miles
    Spare 920 shaft-drive Virago engine with 12,xxx miles (the guy said)
    Spare seat
    National Cycle Plexifairing III
    Case savers
    Suzuki GS1150ES fairing to fit the 8" round headlight on this bike
    A couple of boxes of parts, etc.

$500.00 for everything. Nothing sold separately; all or nothing. LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. Too much stuff (and too much hassle) to ship.
    Thanks for reading. Photos below show it: 1) as it looked after being parked a while and 2) in its current state.
    <!-- START CLTAGS -->

• <!-- CLTAG GeographicArea=Museum District -->Location: Museum District
    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    <!-- END CLTAGS --><TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>

</TD><TD align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    PostingID: 2859898238
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is a DDR Chaintainer. They were made for 750 Hondas and Kawasaki 900s back in the day.
    This one is on Craigslist in N. Carolina.

Not as well made as the XV920 one but the same idea.
  10. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'd buy that in a hot minute if you were local.
  11. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Hate to let it go and have several prospective buyers now. Damn.

SOLD: THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST!!!
  12. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank's Thumpism for the hospitality !
    I drove all the way home through some wild weather, and made it at 6:15 am.
  13. bringenufgun

Oddometer:
    picked the bike up last week. very nice cosmetically, only a little fade on the right side cover and a few scratches on the mufflers.
    headlight in-op, front cylinder has a knock that seems to come and go. runs, rides, shifts, stops. ended up buying it for $1100.00.
    is it just me or did yamaha design this bike as their take on a modernized black shadow (big v twin, hidden rear suspension, swingarm mounted rear fender, big ass headlight, etc)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    It's not just you.When I brought home my '81 I told my buddy Mike,I'd bought a Japanese Vincent. Without missing a beat he said "I was ready to buy one of those ,but , they started coming back to the shop with starter trouble right away , so I bought a Seca 650 instead. "
    Mike was the head mechanic at the local yamaha shop at the time.
  15. bringenufgun

Oddometer:
    i knew someone else had to see the likeness.
    my plans are, detail it, figure out the front cylinder noise, put some super bike bars on it and ride it. the starter is good on this one. its a real 4,000 mile bike that i'm in cheap enough in to mess around with. good power, i think i read they were 64 horsepower or so. i know it will flat spank my 2010 883 iron.
    [​IMG]
  16. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
  17. Zippydapanhead

Zippydapanhead Damn you kids, get away from it!

Oddometer:
    I started going through books to thin them out as part of a slow motion move and I found my old Yamaha Factory Service manual for the 1981 Yamaha-XV-750-H, XV-920-RH # LIT-11616-XV-90. It served my 920 BOTT racer and my 920 post-racing street racer. Is 20 bucks OK?
  18. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    No offense but that has to be the ugliest bike in the world! No, really....:rofl
  19. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    None taken. It was at a very early stage of building it. It looks better now.
  20. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I thought I posted more photo's of it in a more finished state, apparently not. This is what it looks like now:

[​IMG]