Jacket journal

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hesaid, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd chronicle my jacket search for wny who might find themselves going down the same road. Culled from a thread elsewhere, here's a summary:

11/27/12 I'm new to the scene and shopping for a jacket as well. So far, a Hi-Viz 3/4 jacket is looking like the way to go. The hard part is finding examples in person to try on. Local motorcycle shops have fairly small selections, and Cyclegear has selection, but mostly of their own house brand jackets, which I hear are of questionable quality. I'll be honest, they have one that I'm considering picking up for it's sale price of ~$150 just so I'll have something while I continue what appears to be a long process of shopping. I think it's this one:

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/bilt_storm_waterproof_motorcycle_jacket/web1008403

Then once I find "the" jacket, I suppose I can have a spare, or keep it in a vehicle for roadside use, something. Any thoughts?

11/28/12
    Unfortunately, a trip to San Jose wouldn't really be in the cards until well into next year. At the rate time goes, especially around this time of year, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to Fresno until 2013. This is why I was thinking of the Bilt Jacket right now, as a stop-gap solution. I figured it would be better than no jacket. I'm doing lots of online shopping, but I'm concerned that (if it goes anything like any of my previous online jacket transactions) the process may well take months of shopping, buying, shipping, unpacking, trying on, repacking, box sitting around until someone can manage to take it to whatever shipping outlet is required, returning, shipping, unpacking, trying on, repacking, box sitting around until someone can manage to take it to whatever shipping outlet is required, returning shipping, not recieving, arguing with merchant, arguing with shipper, arguing with credit card company, reordering... And so on, until "the" jacket is obtained. And then noticing the guy who lives one block over with the same house number mowing his lawn in a ridiculously bright jacket. This is why I'm thinking a temp might not be a bad idea.
    I've heard it said that CycleGear is like the Harbor Freight of motorcycle gear. Now my experience with Harbor Freight has been that they offer a few types of products:
    1) The low-tech, stoutly built, un-pretty, and usually heavy version of common goods, like jack stands, two wheel carts, wheels chocks, which, while they do suffer the above drawbacks, do perform their specific task.
    2) The uber-cheap knock off tools, which cost but a mere fraction of the competitor's price, but break as soon as you attempt to use them.
    3) Gadgets. Do I need a battery powered, remote controlled, LED lighted apple peeler/corer? Maybe...
    If the Bilt Jacket falls into the first category, I'm ok with that as a stop-gap. The second... Not so much. I suppose the only way to really tell, is to buy it and then wreck, but that seems a bit much.

I've heard the Olympia name a few times now, and always with good things to say. They're high on my list. I just wish I could try a few on, as I have a feeling one might be "the" jacket. I do know that Roundels don't come cheap. There is a BMW dealer in Fresno, but as I said, I'm not sure when I'll be getting up that way, especially during their hours.

12/04/12 Well, I think I've decided on a jacket. An Olympia. I won't go the route of getting a temporary first, as it will be some time until we're riding anyway. If I do have to struggle to get the right size/fit, I've got the time.

Now to see if there is anywhere selling it for less than $350...

12/04/12 Mostly what I'm finding is there's "the" price, apparently MSRP is $349.99, and that's about all I'm seeing. Free shipping offers abound though...

I'd love to visit a local shop, and would even pay a bit more, but the only local shop is a Cyclegear. Other than that there are a couple of bike dealers, but the selection is horrible. And they wonder why we turn to the internet...

12/08/12 Ok. I visited some local shops. The selection is pretty much what it was last time I was there. 2-3 brands, 2-3 styles, one of each size, in various colors. Perfect for internet shopping. I suppose it could really work out if you were looking for the exact one they had, but for many of us, IF they have the one you want, it's not in your size, and IF they DO have one in your size, it's not in the color you wanted. And frankly, if I'm going to be paying $300 for a jacket, I'm going to want one in my choice of color, as well as one that fits.

So, I tried some on, got some ideas on sizing, and will now have to shop elsewhere. There is the option of having them order one, but since there was not a soul in the showroom the entire time I was there, I'm hesitant to trust their customer service skills. I suppose I could have just walked out with a few, come back and gotten a new bike to match... But that's not really my style.

In any case, should I decide to go with a First Gear (appropriate for a new rider, no?) Kilimanjaro, I now know what size to get. XL. And I tried on a few mesh jackets for summer, so that was helpful.

The search continues...

01/20/13 Ok, I have a jacket. It's not the Olympia, but it is a jacket.

We made the trek to Fresno/Clovis (approx 1hr) to visit a broader selection of stores, including the closest Olympia dealer. The nearest Olympia dealer is a BMW/Ducati/Indian/Husky dealership, and as such is was equipped with a much larger selection of jackets than the norm. I think there were six. None of the style I was looking for, none in the color I was looking for, and nothing in the size range I was looking for. Nothing really even worth trying on, since the sizes were all wrong. So basically, a wasted trip. I had been hoping to at least get a feel for Olympia's sizing, so I'd feel more confident ordering one online, but all I was really able to determine is that I'll need a men's jacket, and it will need to be larger than a medium.

So, on we went. Clawson Motorsports had a much better selection of gear, and a salesperson who was fairly knowledgeable and friendly. I tried on a couple of jackets, and, since they had more than one size for each style, several sizes. I ended up with a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0. Black/Neon, 2xl. I suppose it could be said that it's a big step down from the Olympia, but it's hard for me to judge accurately, since I haven't ever been able to actually find an Olympia... I can say, that of all the jackets I've tried on, this one fit the best. No fussing about to get it to feel "ok", I just put it on, and it's good. If I fuss with it, it just gets better. I did pay a little bit more than I would have on the internet, but I'm ok with that, since I dealt with places where I could try them on, compare with others, and so forth.

I'm still going to be looking for an Olympia, but at least I have a jacket.

MV
  2. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on MororcycleGear.com for THE jacket. They buy out warehouse stock from the wholesalers when the new models are released & put it out at very attractive prices. Shipping is free & no tax except for Texas. Excellent folks to work with, good at answering questions & generous return policy.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I have had an Aerostich Roadcrafter 2pc, plus a variety of other leather and textile jackets. I currently have a First Gear leather jacket (from about '96 - really top quality), 3 Syed custom leather 1pc suits ('93, '00, '04), an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants, a Roadcrafter 1pc, and (the newest, at 4 years old now) a Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and mesh Kevlar jeans.

As I got each piece of gear along the way, I thought I finally had gotten The Jacket/Pants/Suit. Well, so far, the Motoport suit has kicked everything else to the closet. Custom made to fit. The coolest gear you can get, for warm weather. Stronger than leather. HUGELY stronger than Cordura/ballistic nylon. More body armor than my race leathers. Dries out in minutes. Doesn't wear out or weaken over time. Way lighter than quality leather. The color (black) doesn't even seem to fade. And, with a heated liner in, I don't even have to turn the heat up over halfway in sustained temps in the 40s (the coldest I've done so far with this suit).

The only gear I'm even considering getting now is a Motoport Stretch Kevlar Marathon jacket and possibly some stretch Kevlar overpants. My current gear is made to fit like leathers (i.e. snug), the jacket is waist length. If I get the stretch Kevlar gear, it would be for having more pockets on the jacket, plus being a little warmer, to extend my riding without putting on the heated liner, plus being able to put it on over street clothes for commute-type riding. OTOH, my Roadcrafter serves that purpose reasonably well, for the rare occasion when I want that. So, I'm really in no hurry for any new gear.
  4. Shesaid

Shesaid Still Trippin'

Oddometer:
    Hesaid failed to mention that the "local" Olympia distributor at the BMW dealership not only did not have anything in his size or model available, but what they did have was also almost entirely women's jackets. A total disappointment.

I, on the other hand, am now sporting a flashy Olympia AST in hi-viz from motorcyclecloseouts.com for the attractive pirce of $149. YAY ME!

Hesaid is so jealous.
  5. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Ha ha haa! That is awesome! And, awesome screen names. :D
  6. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a run-around it can be trying to find riding gear. Wife and I live in an area with access to several decent dealerships, but you are driving a while to get there. We just made a two-hour drive to Bob's BMW in MD just to try things on for her. She's been riding with me for several years, but she is joining me on touring rides this year, so we needed more than a basic leather jacket.

We were just going to try on and not purchase, but she found the perfect gear, the sales manager was excellent helping her get fitted properly and they offered to ship it home to PA so we could avoid some sales tax. All in all a great experience.

All that to say, hey, I hear where you're coming from. Hard to find a good selection of quality gear. All the jap bike dealers sell is the same joe rocket/first gear sport style jackets...the local BMW shop in my home town also sells Kawi and Sosuki, so yeah, all he has is the same crap gear. Not a thread of BMW apparel to be found in his dealership.

Good luck in your continuation of the search for "the" jacket. Most of us that have been riding for years and years have found the value in buying it right the first or second time. Otherwise, you'll end up with 5 jackets you don't like and they cost twice as much together as "the" jacket you avoided because you were being cheap. And then, the 5 jackets you don't wear are too cheap to even bother ebaying so they end up in the closet taking up space.........and that's when Shesaid says "hey, get this gear outta here!! My mother and father are coming for dinner and you have the place pigged up with all this riding gear....for the love of pete!"

:freaky
  7. cyclejohn

cyclejohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 I have purchased jackets, helmets, pants and gloves from these folks over the years. I'm a very satisfied customer.
    If you visit their website (motorcyclegear.com) , scroll down and on the left side there is a link to join their mailing list. You'll then receive occasional notices of fantastic closeout deals.
  8. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try the same difficult search with a 32" waist, 36" inseam, a 40" chest and 22" arms (pit to wrist)

Even if I find a LONG jacket at a dealer (along with a cheap BMW part :huh , yeah, right) the sleeves will barely go 2/3s of the way down my forearm. Everything I try on- pants and jackets-looks like I left it in the dryer too long.
  9. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

Bahahaha :lol3
  10. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shesaid,

You GO GIRL! Excellent.

Our daughter, Cyclingchic (ZX6R and Orbea rider) will love to hear this!

DC
  11. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean about filling a closet... And I really was hoping to avaid doing that. I had pondered the idea of a BILT jacket just as a stop-gap, you know, a cheap get-me-by while I continued the search, but I figured I wouldn't do anything until I'd at least made the trip out of town to look. But at some point, I just needed a jacket. Luckily, this one I found doesn't seem too bad, and when I finally do find the "one", having this one as a spare won't be too bad. As far as taking up extra space, I'm not too worried. Shesaid could go on a weeklong camping trip and never have to sleep in the same tent twice. And this doesn't take into consideration the tent I owned when we got together, or the Jumping Jack trailer. And she's excited that motorcycle camping will mean a new tent!

On your recommendation I've done some looking into the Motoport line. Seems like there might be some items worth looking into. I've always wanted flourescent yellow, reflective, synthetic jeans, and now I have a source. I wish they were just a bit closer, so I could go check the stuff out in person, and or get fitted by a professional, but I just read a list of the top 100 beer bars in the US, and one is in the same town, so maybe a road trip could be made worthwhile...

MV
  12. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I figured I'd update this thread, in keeping with the idea of a journal of my ongoing jacket quest...

I have a new jacket now. Not so much to replace my Joe Rocket, but to supllement it during the high temps. I went looking for a mesh jacket, and found one. It's an Alpinestars Cyclegear exclusive, so I'm not sure just how good or bad of a jacket it is, but it fits good, and handles the higher temps better than my other jacket, even with the liner removed. It's not water proof, but I'm ok with that. So far, I'm happy with it. I've gone somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 miles in it, most of that in temps between 75 and 100. It is an airflowing jacket, and I certainly wouldn't count on it for any manner of warmth, which is evident on summer trips to high elevation, but I pretty much knew that going in.

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm happy. While I still keep my eyes open whenever there are jackets about, at least now I feel like I have jackets that will allow me to ride in any of the weather I'd want to ride in. Oh yeah, and Shesaid? She's now in a complete Olympia Airmesh suit, also purchased on clearance. For less than jacket prices.

[​IMG]

MV
  13. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd go ahead and update this to mention that I'm still happy with the Alpinestars jacket. I've made it through summer, which is pretty much what I wanted an airflow type jacket for. With Shesaid in her suit and me with a jacket, we do get some stares, glares, and comments, but I kinda expect that wearing a jacket in 90 degree temps. Most people "get it" when I explain that , yes, I'm hot when I'm standing in the sun in the jacket, but let's face it, standing in the sun on a 95 degree day in a T-shirt is hot also, as long as I'm moving, I'm fine. And I didn't buy a motorcycle to stand around anyway.

That said, I feel that I ought to mention that I have recently upgraded the armor in the Alpinestars jacket. It originally had CE armor in the elbows and shoulders, with just foam padding in the chest and back. I ordered Alpinestars armor for the chest and back, which essentially upped the price of the jacket by $70. And increased it's heft by a not insignificant amount. It also cut down on some of the airflow. Where I used to say the jacket was hot when standing still, but fine as soon as I got moving... Well, it now seems that there is a minimum speed required. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-12 mph. Not a deal breaker, but noticable. Hopefully it'll be a complete waste, and I'll never have to try out the armor, but...

With cooler temps starting to show, I imagine I'll be switching back to my first jacket shortly, liner and all. All summer long we held ourselves to riding only when it was under 100, and 95 if we were to stay at low elevation. Already at higher elevations the temps are a bit brisk at times.

So, jackets good for right now, pants should arrive FedEx tomorrow. So I'll have something else to play with. And then boots...

MV
  14. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, back into the Joe Rocket jacket for the winter. Liner in, but still with vents open. Not sure what temps were over the weekend, but it must be staying cool in the shade:

[​IMG]

Of course, that shot aside, I opted to head away from the snow and ice. But the point is, the jacket is doing fine and I'm not in the big hurry to upgrade that I was earlier. I'll probably upgrade the back armor, like I did with the Alpinestars. Another plus, the Joe Rocket does make some attempts at reflectivity, an area where the Alpinestars falls short. I think I'll be shopping for some reflective material to add to both jackets.

The pants are Sliders Kevlar riding jeans, and so far, I'm liking them. They do run big, as other have mentioned, so if you order, bear that in mind. So far, they seem plenty warm enough, though I'm expecting to have to do something else once winter really gets here.

Ok, that's up to date on my jacket project. I might have to change this over to more of a gear journal, as I add more gear here and there. I've got more gloves than I think I've ever owned at one time before!

MV