DSLR or High end compact?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Aj Mick, Dec 3, 2012.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    To the OP if you like the look of shots from the 70-200 you're in DSLR only territory. They are starting to come out with nicer lenses for mirrorless cameras but they are limited and pretty much all primes. And a point and shoot wont even come close.

My advice is have both, or go crazy and have 2 SLR set ups. My Fuji S5 Pro uses Nikon DX lenses and a full kit is noticeably smaller than the D700's. Also the original D300 is getting really affordable on the used market, 650 for the original model which would be a great deal if you plan to do any action shots. After seeing that I'm seriously thinking about picking one up.
  2. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    The Leica monochrome is god's way of telling you you're stupid
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:

at the Lake of Fire I'll be shooting a Leica.

ps

That blue font is super annoying
  4. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the nex-6 and nex-7. Excellent view finders and there are a couple of lenses that make it jacket-pocketable (16mm and 16-50mm).
  5. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Funnily enough, one of my friends turned with a Nex-6 last night and I have to say I was really impressed. Very fast and the digital viewfinder was surprisingly close to an optical viewfinder with the added benefits of digital overlay.

I still need some convincing that the trade off is worth it for me, now that I'm quite comfortable carrying my dslr around... but the nex 6 is a indeed rather nice. I can only assume the 7 is nicer still.

It's a great time to be a photographer :thumb
  6. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the 7. Same as the 6 really. The 7 is a generation older, well half a generation, so despite the 6 being the lower model it's inherited all the good stuff.

Mine hasn't replaced my dslr but I use it 75% of the time I guess.
  7. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:
    Eyeball, just retread my post in which I said " The Leica Monochrome is god's way of telling you that you're stupid"

Don't know how you couldn't think that was directed specifically at you.

It wasn't , as I too have lusted after that box and the glass to go with it.

When reality and sobriety finally set it , I understand that b&W is best processed from a raw , colour image, affording us
    greater control over tonal values... something that the monochrome would decide for us.

Never meant to bark at you, man.

terry
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    B&W is actually best processed............well actually printed form a properly exposed negative and printed in a wet darkroom.
  9. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the monochrome option give you raw + monochrome, or does it *only* give you monochrome??
  10. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monochrome raw.
  11. Terrytori

Terrytori Namaste

Oddometer:

Sadly, the sun has nearly set on those days.

Some hugely gifted printers I know, have not gone near a chemical bath in the last couple of years.
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The report of silver's death is quite premature.
  13. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    This would seem to be the most obvious option...... if I had a house or at least could see myself based somewhere for quite a while longer. I guess it is the way I would like to go...... but.....

After nearly a decade where I am now a move is staring to look imminent. That will involve a 11,000 km flight to the land of my birth, and uncertainty about where I will be living. Most likely I will be itinerant for a bit, at least, before I get somewhat settled. That is what puts me off for now.

Would be nice too, but even more stuff..... when itinerant, less is much, much more. One day it might be nice to land up with a "tough" camera, a Fuji X10 or similar (with an underwater housing), and a DSLR. Just not right now.

It is always a trade off, and then making the most of what you have within its limitations. As they say a bad workman blames his tools. A good workman knows how to get the most out of what he has to work with.

The Fuji X10 could be the way I go for now. With the better lens, bigger sensor, and (most importantly for photographing sport) insignificant shutter lag, it would be an improvement on what I have albeit with some limitations. In the end it is just a matter of making the trade off, and making the most of it.

Thanks for the input.

A bit of what I have done with the versatile Olympus TG310:

[​IMG]

Action in front of the pavilion - the first game of the Phuket T/20 Cricket League 2012. This was used in the local newspaper, as have quite a few other photos I have taken to go with write ups of the games.

[​IMG]

Happy dog on the beach

[​IMG]

Always take an umbrella when going out for a ride.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The correct way to carry a pillion

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At Ao Sane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gods and fireworks; last night of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2012. The photos were taken at the same spot, within about 15 minutes of each other.
  14. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, but I am in Thailand, and I guess you are in the USA

Unlike many developed countries, there is not much of a second hand market for anything here. My first camera, bought in my home country, New Zealand. was second hand. So was my last film camera, bought in Japan.
  15. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is definitely an odd child. :D I suppose it's fun to constrain yourself. Definitely a 3rd camera.

Shutterlag on *any* of the cameras discussed is a complete non-issue.
  16. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the end I went for the Fujifilm X10 ....... maybe a DSLR with a decent zoom some time in future. For now the compactness of the X10 suits my needs and style. I have been pleased with some the photos I have taken over the past three weeks, some of which have been used in the local newspapers......

Mostly been used for photographing sport; sorry no motorcycles so far!

Less than pleasing was taking it back to the shop yesterday. The optical viewfinder stopped moving with the lens. Obviously the linkage got disconnected or something. I want it fixed, hopefully under warranty, but I don't care if I have to pay....... it is going to take 45 days before it gets back to me!

[​IMG]

Action program - 1/900th; f2.8; ISO 100
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    I thought that until I got a Fuji S5 Pro, and a D700.

The Fuji gives me the dynamic range of film, and the D700 gives me high ISO performance that film couldn't dream of. ISO 25,600 is cleaner than ISO 3,200 film :eek1
  18. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Look at the D7100 and Sigma 50-150 F2.8, it'll give you performance like the full size DSLR and 70-200 but in a smaller form factor.
  19. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it looks like the sort of set-up I would go for. A full frame DSLR would be overkill for my needs. Plenty of megapixels is good too, as often I just take a general picture of a piece of action, then crop out the bit I want.
  20. TiPirate

TiPirate Ambitious, but rubbish.

Oddometer:
    Devil's advocate says:

[​IMG]

Weatherproof, pocket-sized, excellent optics. You can buy a shitload of film for the difference in price.