tired of my wee, what's my next bike?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by brooklyn slim, Feb 3, 2013.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Ergonomics and great performance on bumpy backroads is all the reason I need to ride a beast. :clap
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:

Me neither. And in Wee-stroms case, of which many people seem to complain, that it's "boring", for me they could not be more wrong, as it's a very versatile bike compared to many others, and the engine is a gem. Maybe the looks aren't to everyone's liking, but poser bikers care about that. New model seems to even look alright for most people, the older was uglier. Oh yeah, you seldom get to wait on the roadside for a tow truck, and you don't get to meet very many mechanics on your trips, cause it just keeps on going. Maybe that's "boring", but I can live with that... :lol3
  3. scottalot

scottalot Blank Space

Oddometer:
    If the Wee is boring you. Could always jump up to the Vee for some more power :) Both Great bikes in my opinion. I chose the Vee for my first strom expierence. If I had to do it all over again I would most likely shoot for the Wee. Why? I'm not on the interstate to often, my wife hardly ever rides along, and I like trying new things :)
  4. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try a Ulysses, relatively cheap and cheap to run. It does have it's faults though. Get the newest you can find, especially the rare 2010's. Way better suspension than the Vstrom. I had a boring DL650, but it wasn't boring in a heavy crosswind!
  5. brooklyn slim

brooklyn slim nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer:
    As usual, the collective wisdom and (mostly) thoughtful opinions around this place amaze me.

Thinking more that the Stelvio and Tenere are more bike than I need (though that realization doesn't do much to diminish their allure) - 15 large, 600 lbs and 1.2 liters to mostly commute and take 200-300 mile trips makes me think of the douches who use their Land Rovers primarily to make Whole Foods runs.

Looks like the Tiger 800 roadie makes the most sense, although, cheap bastard that I am, I can't help but think how many farkles and cheeseburgers the $2500 difference between the Triumph and the new DL650 would buy.

But then I'd be back to where I started....

Sigh. Why wasn't I born rich and decisive instead of brilliant, dashing and heroically hung?
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Gotta call BS on this line of thought. Like most people who work, I don't have the time to take off on multi-week bike trips more than once or twice a year so the majority of my time is spent commuting 160 miles M-F and doing 300 mile day trips on weekends. But riding daily rain or shine, I can still fully appreciate the virtually maintenance-free nature of the shaft-driven Tenere, its good weather protection and the fact that its excellent ABS brakes, nimble handling and torquey engine make it fairly easy to avoid the drivers trying to kill me. :deal
  7. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I concur.
  8. brooklyn slim

Oddometer:
    Should've phrased my comments better. No offense meant, only wanted to say that, for my purposes, I'd feel like an overkiller with a big trailie. Of course, ask me again tomorrow and I might have just as well put a deposit on one.

I've heard nothing but good things re the S10, and I'm glad you're enjoying ours.
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing is if you had named any of the suggested replacements as the bike
    you were tired of how many people would recommend you look at a 650 Strom.

Ain't always greener...:wink::D
  10. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    There are so many variables and so many good bikes to choose from. If you're like me you probably already have a preference and are just looking for rational confirmation that that's what you should get. Just sit on it (your decision) for awhile and you may change your mind.
    I really wanted a Tiger 800 Roadie, but with the off-road suspension which was not offered. Then I came across the 1200 Stelvio NTX and fell in love. 6300 miles later, I'm still in love. :freaky
  11. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat, I'm not so much tired of my Wee. It's more my riding style has changed from mostly commuting and running errands to going on long fast rides and multiple day camping trips. I'm deciding between get a sport tourer like the St or the FJR or staying in the adventure realm and getting a GS or a tenere. I've ruled out triumphs as the dealer network is too small for my liking. Which is sorta dumb because I do all my own services... Still I like the idea of being able to get parts or my bike worked on in any town. Tenere tics that box but not so much the bmw or tiger.
  13. brooklyn slim

Oddometer:
    You're right. I started off really taken with the Stelvio, but then thought about expense, sparse dealer network, weight, and began thinking that the Tiger roadie would be a better choice. Problem is, I still like the Stelvio. Spring's coming...gotta figure out what to do.

Lemme ask, what's with the "pounding in the handlebars" some posters mention? I grew up with BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons and a 1967 R60...none of them made my hands go numb. Is the Guzzi a worse shaker?
  14. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    It shakes, but it's not a problem for me. I've not heard anyone ever say it's a deal breaker. I've still got my 1050 Tiger, but it's become the garage queen. If I wanted a smooth ride I'd be on it but I prefer the NTX. Most of my riding is in the mountain twisties. The Stelvio is pure pleasure up there. I'm off pavement some of the time but just well graded gravel roads. 95% pavement.

I wouldn't call it "pounding". It's just a noticeable throbbing and goes away at certain rpm's. Also gets smoother as speed increases. Not very noticeable off pavement. More noticeable with engine cold when first starting out.
  15. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I think you're missing his point:

I get that he would feel like a poser on one of those bikes. He isn't commenting on anyone else's posing or lack thereof. Well, other than the Land Rover grocery getters.

I get the sentiment, too - I'd really like a more road-styled Tenere (and no, not a trophy). I don't do dirt, I don't pretend to do dirt (unless I get lost). I think there are a number of styling and ergonomic sacrifices that adv bikes make to keep the "dirtworthy" aspect. I don't particularly like the style and I'd prefer a lower seat (and lower exhaust fer crissakes).

FWIW, the BMW r1200r with the high seat (which now appears to be the default) has almost the same knee bend (82°) as a 2012 vstrom (85°). The super tenere has a much more relaxed angle: 91°, and a tiger explorer 94°
  16. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a Ducati Hyperstrada! At least, that's what I'm lusting after today. I haven't even seen one in person, but it seems to check a lot of your boxes. I think the biggest selling point is that it has low weight with some touring (read: comfort) concessions.