KLRsys build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by KLRsys, Jun 6, 2012.

1. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Just unbelievable attention to detail.
  2. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm anxiously awaiting your progress on running tubeless. I went out to the garage this morning to ride and found a rear flat :becca.
    So when is the first KLRE650 owners rally?
    Hvymax likes this.
  3. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Calvin. One of these days I'll make it back up to SA, maybe we can go riding and you can give me another "brisk" tour through the hill country.
  4. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. But I tell you, the devil is in those details. I thought this bike would be pretty much a repeat of the first bike and the major work was, frame, motor mounts, exhaust. But after that it seemed almost everything needed a slight or not so slight change due to the differences in gen1 vs gen2.

Next time we cross paths please feel free to take it for a spin. I'd like to hear what InsanelyFastOldGuy would have to say.
  5. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
    ~

As always, KLRsys...

Your work astounds me. Simply stunning, and staggering in its "factory level" fit and finish. If I didn't know any better I'd swear that the bike in the pics was built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Japan.

My helmet's off to you, and it looks like my Versys motor is in a happier place! :bow

:thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb

Dallara

~
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Well. I would have last time but that TXjames rascal youngster wouldn't bring it back. lol He was mightily impressed.
  7. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Let's Ride!
  8. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome answer!
    Your work is incredible, and it was great meeting you at the Roll The Bones extravaganza.
    Your new-generation version is one of the best bike builds I have ever seen... very exciting indeed!
    If I had such a bike, I would ride it the 1000 miles round trip to RDS World Heaquarters, from Austin, where I could then explore the dirt.
    But alas, I will be on a road bike because my time is more limited and I need to cruise at at least 80 mph.
    I have ridden my 08 KLR from Moab Utah to Austin TX, but the motor strained and I had to check my oil often.
    I have considered replacing my KLR with a Transalp - but that is more bike than I want to ride in the dirt.

Congratulations on your project!
  9. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Patrice. That means a lot coming from you. I've read about your history in motorcycling, an envious history it is.
    You obviously understand exactly why I built these two bikes, to do trips just as you describe, and it does it extremely well. You'll have to try the new one next time we cross paths, you won't look at your 08 the same anymore. I think you need one.

Fritz
  10. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fantastic job , from a guy with 3 klrs i love your fit and finish .. LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED FR THAT MOTOR!
  11. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    I've seen this bike in person. Probably the most impressive and factory looking engine swap I've ever seen.
  12. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are gonna give me a fat head. Thanks.

Though I'd post a picture of the 09 dash. Again the panel from the Versys fit quite well. Getting the 09 KLR ignition switch to with the Versys electrics was a bit of a challenge, it has only one pair of wires that are "on" when the switch is on (the 05 had two pairs), the Versys was expecting three pairs of switched lead, but I got it working.

[​IMG]
    Daeouse likes this.
  13. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had been struggling the last week or so getting it to run right. It had a fuel delivery problem that turn out to be a venting issue for the fuel pump. After I got that sorted out I found out it would flat die on me if I went over 8000rpm. Weird thing was it would only die if I rolled off the throttle quickly, like you do when shifting. Figured out it was a flaky throttle position sensor with the help of the kind folks on the kawasakiversys.com forum.
    In the process of sorting this out I had to run it up to 9000rpm+ several times and I gotta say, running it up to 85mph in third gear at 9000rpm, well it's rather un-KLR like.
  14. MiniMotard

MiniMotard n00b

Oddometer:

Hi KLRsys, Could you provide anymore details on the venting issue that you encountered and how you solved the problem?

Thanks
  15. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind I'm going to point you to the Versys forum where I've explained the fuel system with a few pictures. If it doesn't answer your question fully let me know.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26129

Scroll down until you see the pictures, the description is right before the pictures.
  16. vtwinwilly

vtwinwilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KLRsys,

Just finished reading through the entire thread, and as others have said... WOW!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    To everyone else, I've been fortunate enough to spend a fair amount of quality time in the saddle of the Gen-I version (KLRsys is a generous fella that way). It is everything the pictures depict and more. The fit and finish are outstanding, but more impressive is&#8230; it truly is an excellent balance between on-road comfort and off-road capability. Riding it you don't feel like you're sacrificing anything.<o:p></o:p>
    Time for me to get serious about hunting down a doner Versys.<o:p></o:p>
    BB<o:p></o:p>
  17. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got some suspension goodies in today. Since I couldn't get to the preload adjuster on the rear shock (fuel pump in the way) Rick at Cogent Dynamics built me one of his famous Moab shocks with a hydraulic preload adjuster. All you need is an 8mm nut driver. Cool. Also got springs and Racetech for the the front. I'm anxious to put them in and try it out. I'm hoping that rear shock works as well as it looks. Fancy looking piece of hardware. Rick and Joyce at Cogent were great to deal with, very personalized service and never once hesitated to help me find a solution.

[​IMG]
  18. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Rick built a custom shock for my '09 KLX250S using a KLX250SF shock as the basis. It works very well. I also had the first CD MOAB long travel shock for my '08 KLR. He does an great job, no matter what the specifications required might be. He's always up to a challenge and his custom service is second to none. You'll like this shock.

And again, the bike looks awesome! Well done!

SamM
  19. fabriktr

fabriktr Build it if you can.

Oddometer:
    KLRsys, My son [freetors] turned me on to this thread a while back. Take a compliment from a turbo-project-addict, you are doing a super job. Methods, tooling, craftsmanship are all top shelf. The finished bike is beautiful. Carry on brother.:clap
  20. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got the shock and front springs installed. I had to put a thumbwheel on the shock to adjust it because the fuel pump blocks access to the 8mm nut on the adjuster, but I can now adjust preload.

[​IMG]

I finished the radiator grill guards and mounted the horn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it's about 99% finished now. All I have left is the cruise control and skid plate. Then it will be shake down run time and it looks as though it's going to get a good one.

[​IMG]
    Daeouse likes this.