KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. MtexpeditionCR

MtexpeditionCR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my 640 Lc4 1999 un chuzo " if you don´t now what to do, full throttle is always better then less" :eek1
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I have been threatened with having to play supertanker, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I should be sad?
  3. hupjoy

hupjoy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I need some advice. I have a 2000 KTM LC4 640 in LA. Recently, the owner of my local shop (another KTM buff) suggested i allow him to replace what he called the catalytic converter on my exhaust pipe with an open section of pipe he had there in the shop. I thought, "cool! better performance, more open throttle, what could go wrong?" So I get it from him after the shop[ does the work and i immeduiately ride to vegas for a gig. not too fast, mind you, and I stop every hour and give the bike a break. The second day I'm here in Vegas, the piston completely blows. Got it to a great mech here and he says the shop that put on the pipe didn't jet the carb after replacing it, causing a lean fuel/air mix and killing the bike, basically. So now the shop is claiming the part they removed is actually a "pre-muffler" and that no tuning was neccesary and tyhat I shouldn't have ridden the bike all the way to Vegas - a paltry 270 miles...please help! I need some sage advice here. I'm truckimng it back to LA Monday and I have to confront these bozos at the shop and figure it all out. Any advice???

Thanks!
  4. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Any change to the exhaust, especially removing a restriction should cause someone familiar with tuning to at least look at how it is running and burning. But yes that was a pre-muffler, not a cat and there by they removed probably 1/4 of the original muffler system. From my experience that is more than enough to need to make carb adjustments if not jet and needle changes!
  5. klrfreak

klrfreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey gents,

Some time ago, I drilled my slide and lowered the clip on the slide to the 4th notch to richen it up.

It's been some time since I've had a chance to thoroughly test the bike since these mods. I can't really recall what the bike ran like before though the backfire/popping on deceleration is gone now.

Problem is, I am noticing a significant stutter or bog right off of idle. It is noticeable enough that I have to feather the clutch/throttle and keep the RPMs up so the bike doesn't stall when taking off from a stop.

I've adjusted the fuel screw a number of times and it sometimes seems to make a slight improvement but the bog is still there.

Funny thing is that when the bike is cold there is no stutter/bog and it even seems to have a bit more punch. However, as soon it is thoroughly warmed up - bog city! I even have the idle set at 2K and it is still bogsters away when taking off from a stop.:huh

Any suggestions? Should I set the slide back to the third notch?
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yes, put the clip back to the 3rd notch.

Sounds like you have made it too rich. One a cold engine it's acting like the choke and helping combustion. Warmed up it's adding too much fuel and stumbling. Another clue it's too rich is the absence of popping on decel; popping is a characteristic of leanness.

Drilling the slide shouldn't require a change to the needle clip (presumably that's what you meant when you said slide clip). The slide will open faster which lifts the needle anyway.
  7. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    The 640 LC4 Adventure is a true go-anywhere bike, but everything has its limits. From a recent excursion to Russia, no option but to turn back and look for an alternate route:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Tseta
  8. Reset1

Reset1 640-24-7

Oddometer:
    Truley a amazing pic.. I cant help it to stare at it every time..
  9. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    ...or build a jump...
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Don't forget the video if you do....

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JK8byQsugFw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    turn off the bikes and "swim" them over:lol3
  12. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    Just a couple pictures from yesterday, on a 3 day ride in Montana. I can't believe that over the winter I was trying to sell this thing. A little more slab than I planned (about 800 kms of 1700 total), but it does it so easily, but boring nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    lovely scenery there, I might get a decent run in this week myself:D
  14. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    Has anybody figured out the newest and easiest way to replace the little green seal in the shifter/kickstarter?

Just started leaking very slightly. Taking in to the MT1000 and would like to get her fixed before then.

Only a couple more weeks to go!

Thanks!
  15. cr0w73

cr0w73 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of designing and manufacturing several hard aluminium parts for my 2003 KTM Adventure. ie rear fuel cells, pack frame, side plates etc.
    There doesn't seem to be much after market stuff listed out there for these bikes let alone a full "Adventure kit" ie rear fuel cells, pack frame, side plates, Water cell Bash plates etc.

What i'm trying to find out is what other years and models will my parts fit onto and also what interest there is regarding a possible new product line for the pre 690 LC4 range.

The mounting will be mostly instead of the original standard rear side plates also using the original mounting points and will need no modification to the actual bike itself.

Will they will fit a wide range of years and models and is there an interested market out there?
  16. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I'm interested! But ours run different subframes I believe.
  17. G I Mavro

G I Mavro Orange monster

Oddometer:
    Crow, if you can make rear fuels cells, i'll buy it!!! The oldgoat already has a pretty huge tank for a thumper & it is quite light on fuel, so additional fuel cell will be great, considering that i get about 500Km per tank & i do short distances as Adamska is more of a working point A 2 B bike most of the time & i have not yet really had any long road fuel economy experiences. My buddy, reset1 did a mid distance trip the other day, several hundered kilos, but not stopping. He got almost 27ks to the litre, which is very impresive to me, especially seeing that he uphelp a average speed of about 115km/h. so looking at that more fuel cells will take yopu FAAARRR!!! 1000km per tank potential!!! Imagine!

I am very sure that the goat will handle the extra weight without any hickups, even on some gnarly propper off-road trails. of course, the rider will have to know how to handle his pair of balls, if you know what i mean, but with the set up & suspension, i don't think there will be anything to worry about!

Something else to keep in mind is that if you have a bike with that amount of fuel like 50l on board, you will need luggage storage space if you are going that far, cuz, not using the potential travel distance without panniers will be kinda stupid, so ther panniers will have to fit without the tanks causing some friction. Of course if you are a lazy shit like me, you can now ride a year & not worry about fuel. NICE!

The other big plus point for myself to have such an ivestment, is that they keep the bike rather stable if they are kept full, as i tend to get smacked around alot by the wind, when i have the two panniers hooked up & the top box ( permanently mounted ), the wind & Adamska don't have any beef with one another for the most part.

So in short, after all this jabbering on, if you can manufacture something this practical on something this good, then you will sure be pleasing alotta goat riders.

We all know the 6fotty is the ultimate go absolutely anywhere tool, so now it can become the absolutely go anywhere tool, forever!!!

Kep me posted on your progress, very intersted on what you'll have to offer! Sweet Crow.
  18. GreyDawggg

GreyDawggg Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    From 02-03 the models onwards have the same subframe and most things to do with the chassis are the same on all the different year models(from what I've read).. I think there would definately be a market for it.. I wouldn't mind having an extra alu. rear fuel tank if I had the money.. Would be great for longer trips, especially as my 640 is thirsty and only gets 300km on a tank.. You would only really be able to make one rear tank hey? Like 5 to 7 liters or something on the opposite side of the muffler. Like the rally tanks.. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg like most of the other manu then plenty people on here and who own lc4s would support you!
  19. GreyDawggg

GreyDawggg Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    I think you would really have to strengthen your subframe if you have a extra rear fuel cell aswell as luggage/panniers.. Just a thought:thumb
  20. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer: