Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just put a new brushless motor/ESC setup in my 2wd Slash. What a difference. Now I need to upgrade my Stampede :D
  2. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Looks great. Never got into the hobby, but this one looks like a good starting place.
  3. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Brushless is just stupid fast ain't it?
  4. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure is. This thing is a blast now. Unfortunately my wife proved that the slash is tougher than the stampede by turning into it at full speed. I guess I needed to upgrade the front spindle carriers anyway.
  5. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Havent painted one of these bodies in a long time but I think it came out pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    All depends on what motor / gearing / battery you run. They do have more power potential than the old brushed / nicad or Nimh set ups, but they can be as mellow or stupid fast as you want to pay for.
  7. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to putting the Tower Hobbies P-51 in the air. Flies great, only mod needed are bigger wheels for the grass field I fly at.
    [​IMG]

Quite a few folks were flying that day.
    [​IMG]
  8. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:

Pretty good? Hell I use to pay for paint jobs that weren't half that good. Nice work!
  9. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running pretty basic LiPo's so it goes pretty good. Any faster and I'll wreck it.

Thanks. There's a couple of screw ups here and there but nothing the decals couldn't hide. The best thing about the bug body is that it ends up back on its wheels when I flip it. :evil
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check this guy that Hobby King is coming out with....always wanted one and with alfa being the only one that had one and having to get it from a goofy site I am going to wait for theirs.

[​IMG]
  11. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:

I knew i shouldn't have clicked on this page.....:evil

That looks awesome...gonna have to get me an RC again !
    Who makes that body ?
  12. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a bunch of gift cards for the local hobby shop for my birthday and have been scratching my head on what I wanted to spend them on....it is great being 47 and still getting gift cards to the toy store...my family loves me.

Anyway I have finally decided on what I wanted to get....I wanted one when it came out in the late 70's early 80's and now being the middle aged, balding fat man I can have these type of toys.

This is going to be the new toy...a vintage pic

[​IMG]
  13. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Tamiyas are where I started back in the 80's, they were waterproof and pretty damn durable !
    Still have my Sand Scorcher stashed away somewhere ! :D
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    An original is worth something....their value did take a hit when the RE-RE's came out, but people will still pay pretty good money for an original.

Going to call it in after work today.
  15. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the Proline Fenderless Baja Bug for the Traxxas Slash. They make a version with fenders but I had intended on running different tires than the original pictures.

These are 5 or so inch Proline Flat Iron rock crawler tires. Gobbs of traction with these. The truck has the pro trac suspension system on it so with stock offset wheels it has a much wider than stock stance. Its been great fun for bashing so far.

[​IMG]
  16. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Picked this up Wednesday night:

E-Flite Carbon Cub, brushless 180, flaps, lights. I installed "bush tires" for better takeoff/landing on the asphalt here. Haven't flown it yet. I bought it from a hobby shop owner. 1st batch had faulty servos. They had a new "brick" with it and I installed that. Has a few small dents on the wings but overall not bad. And I got a nice discount :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. gugnheim

gugnheim On the DL...

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, need a suggestion. I don't do R/C(yet, anyway!) but my brother in law mentioned looking for a first time plane kit for him and his 7 year old boy to build over the next few months together. It's the young one's b-day coming up and I want to get them something. He has no R/C experience, but is a good modeler. I'm of course open to any ready to fly options that aren't going to be left on a shelf in a few months after they get better. I realize a lot of this is open ended, but have no idea where to start.
    Thanks
    Ryan
  18. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    You might call me a bit of a nut..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_3iBUVXiA&list=UUtCgEh-m0ZzXcLMjmNSHBKg&index=8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jza02sy4oNs&feature=relmfu

Been working on another plane for a few months now, don't have the spark to continue it though. All of my gear is old and worn out, a bit abused too. My transmitter I would put in a backpack wrapped in a t-shirt and go hike out to a hill to slope. Guess the water bottles were a bit too sturdy so a few switches are busted. Also was flying one time when a torrential downpour came out of nowhere. Took me about 30 seconds to land and I had to run home real quick. The damage was done though, transmitters light and trims are non functional now, well the trims work somewhat at least...
  19. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    There are a few options out there. If they want to build the airplane they might consider a Multiplex Easy Star ARF, then purchasing the equipment separately to put into the airplane as they build it.

I always recommend sticking with the stock electric Permax 400 motor and propeller, especially if they are a beginner. It's a great combination that makes it difficult to get into trouble with the throttle. Of course I also recommend HS81 servos (or similar sized, really an HS55 is fine, or even a HobbyKing HXT900, though the HXT's won't fit into the servo pockets snug, you will have to glue them in on one side) with a decent beginner transmitter. Hitec RCD makes some good transmitters (I always recommend Hitec RCD, they are a local company to me and have the customer support to back their products) as well as Spektrum- a Hitec Optic 6 Sport, Spektrum Dx6i, or any one of those transmitters I recommend.

Speed controllers vary, you will need a brushed one, I'll recommend a 20 amp with LiPo compatibility and at least a 2 amp BEC. Then of course a 2200-3000mah 2 cell 20C lipo pack for those long flight times.
  20. Buzzbomber

Buzzbomber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw man, I haven't seen one of those in FOREVER! Wow, I had one of those; that brings back some memories! I thought it was the awesomest r/c ever......then I got a Frog for Christmas and forgot about the 250R...