CPR filter install on my 950 Adventure

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dad2bike, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Here is the install for my CPR on the 950 Adventure.
    I had already set up my bike so that I only have to remove the right tank for access and work on the carbs.
    Edit- Forgot to note I got this kit from CJracer. :clap

Tank removed ready to start sugery
    [​IMG]

Carbs pulled up out of the way.
    The hardest part of this job was getting that freaking fuel line off the barbed T. That was one Mother of a task. I ended up cutting off the last 1 inch. With the carbs out of the box there was plenty of fuel line left for a proper connection.
    [​IMG]

Wife holding the carbs up to show all the room. Yes, I put rags back in the ports right after the pic.
    [​IMG]

Supplied X-rings in place
    [​IMG]

I removed the vent hose from the PCV valve and found a scrap piece to clamp on the end to hold the valve to the baseplate. The hose is pushed tight to the plate to provide air sealing.
    The provided instructions make no mention of this hose. I just figured it out for myself.
    [​IMG]

Filter oiled and in place. I use Maxima FAB-1 oil. Really nasty stuff. Nuttin gets past that stuff.
    [​IMG]

You can see how clear the access is to the carbs now.
    Note- The drain line from the air-box will be hiding down between the heads. Remember to pull it out. The carb vent line was stuck on the air-box and got put back on with a zip-tie to hold it in place.
    [​IMG]

Tank back on.
    [​IMG]

Glovebox installed.
    It will be interesting to see the dust pattern on the filter and get an idea of where it really draws air from. I suspect the filter will draw from the front first and then as it gets dirty draw more and more from the back of the filter.
    Available Airflow may change thru the cleaning cycles.
    [​IMG]

I haven't ridden the bike yet. It has all stock jetting at this time. Warmed up and adjusted the mixture screws. The bike feels really crisp and strong. I'll be sure to keep my self control until some proper jetting is found. Clearly it will want more fuel to go with all that air. :clap

I have a nice 26 mile back road ride to/from work. Good place to see how this kit works out. :wink:
  2. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Great Info!

Thanks for the pics and post.:freaky
  3. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow... nice work! Looking forward to your first ride report.
  4. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Looks almost worth buying just to get rid of the crappy airbox, I hate the KTM airbox with a passion.
  5. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

And I need to dig into it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786197

But its good at collecting leaking fuel and dumping it out the big drain tube!

/Johan
  6. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it.

One question: is there an increase in intake noise now that the airbox is gone?
  7. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Sitting in the garage I could hear the intake at mid-high throttle. I'm headed to work in a few. That will be the maiden ride.
    I'll post up about that later.
  8. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:

Yes, Your bike will have a distinct note to it now as you gas it past your buddies. :evil
  9. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I cannot see this as a bad thing:D
  10. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    First impressions with stock jetting.

Clearly I can hear the intakes. All the sound appears to push forward into the cockpit. That in turn comes right back at the rider. Nice sound though. :wink:

I pretty much cruise at 4K RPM's going to work. I could feel stumbling while at steady throttle with the throttle locked. Did some minor tweaking of mixture screws. It is feeling like starvation. It could be the CV's modulating.
    I may go back to the 45 pilots and up the needle 1 position. It felt realt good while pulling WOT. Didn't pull long enough to run out of fuel. I'm expecting to need bigger mains as well. That is a whopping bunch more air intake.
    I don't mind a bit lean since I'm looking for MPG's. Stock I was getting 40+ mpg.
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    For a 950 Has anybody done a measurement on the clearance from the top of the horns to the filter?
    I'm considering dropping a plate on top the filter to cause it to draw from the sides. I'm thinking that might smooth out the CV operation as well. Hopefully tonight I can do that and up the needle from 2nd to 3rd position and Pilot from 42 to the 45 I have. I'm up to 3 turns out and still starving at cruise. I'll have to stick with the 155/160 mains for now. Hoping the local shop has a couple bigger mains sitting around.
  12. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    How are you counting your needle position?

Typically, it's read from the bottom side being closest to the main jet. If following this convention, going from 2 to 3 will lean you out. IMO, try just the pilot and raising the float height to around 2.5mm before you touch the needle.
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I read from the top down. The service manual does that as well. I've always counted from the top. That said, I will be raising the needle to fatten up the mid.
    Funny thing. I'm going back to what jetting I was running with the Prefilter. Man It was FAT. :lol3
  14. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I changed the Pilots to 45 and put my needle back to the 3rd position (Center). IMS at 1 turn. Might go down to 3/4 in the future.
    Feels much better and no sign of starving so far. I'm sure I'll be getting bigger mains in the future. I'm waiting to see what the dyno crew comes up with. :ear
    On those horns. I measured and they are only about 1/2 inch from the top of the cage. I'm thinking that may come back to haunt us 950's in the future.
    I wonder what it would take to come up with shorter horns?
    I'll see how this runs before looking at a cover of the top to force air in from the sides.

Also- I moved my intake boot claps such that I can now pull the carbs while leaving both tank on the bike. Only have to remove the seat, glovebox and airbox now. :clap The carbs are accessible from the top now.
  15. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    RC8 stacks are shorter, They are $20 or so the pair. Craig/CJdesigns has them :clap
  16. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Those are for the 990's with FI. The 950 is Carbbed. Different horns is what I'm told. Thanks for trying.
  17. bikyto

Oddometer:
    yes 950=carbs
    but I guess I didn't have a close enough look then.... last time I saw the stacks on my friend's 950, they looked similar. I guess I am wrong then. :ear
  18. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    RC8 Stacks will not fit the 950's. Totally different design in attachment. We wish they would but sadly do not. On the 990's we have run them with our Rottweiler Intake System and so far, seat of our pants, we are very happy with the outcome. Dyno to put it on paper is next. We found (using our butt as the dyno for now) no loss of bottom as there is more area to scavenge air, better mid and top, and even smother throttle. Much less jerky. The Rottweiler Intake helps allot with the jerkiness, the RC8 stacks seem to help even more.

Side note: We should have pre filter foam covers within 2 to 3 weeks for the adventure guys. 2 different densities will be available. 40 cell and a 60 cell count. They are currently in production. CJ released a picture in the other thread about our filters on this forum.
  19. bikyto

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. Thank you.
    I have them on mine (990) and I saw them on a 950smr. So I have no idea how they were mounted then... Sorry not much help.
  20. bikyto

Oddometer:
    I saw the pix on CJ's website. Pretty sweet.
    Any eta on an outerwear pre filter? Thanks!