Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only bikes I see in Qatar have a food delivery box on the rear. :cry
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Sorry Flagger, I forgot about the F800 rode one, liked it.

Mike, you are one of the few that abuse your big bike.

Whitey, sorry for stepping on your toes, it was purely a PMS moment :lol3

Exactly. If 100,000 adv bikes are sold, how many will ever see more than the occasional dirt road? A couple days ago a friend of mine on his GS was scolded because he took all his riding buddies down a road that got their adv bikes dirty.

They're selling a lifestyle, like the Shadow wants to be a Harley, cashing in on what BMW pretty much created, the Adv lifestyle. Personally, I thought they should have brought the Transalp back to the USA to go up against the vstrom and such, I have yet to figure that one out since the bike has been sold in Europe for decades.

What's the wheel size of those Buels that are ridden on the road enduros? 17"?
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    America, Fuck YEAH!

:freaky
  4. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    The XR650L is shit. Sorry. I bought one when the first came out and farkeled & modded the shit out of it. It was never a good dirtbike & on-road it was beyond horrible.

The KLR has been some weird magical combination. Even when Kaw got ambitious & tried to update it with the KLX (a bike, that on paper should have been a lot better) they failed. It is one of those things in that the sum is way better than its parts would lead you to think is possible.

Honda could have made a killer DP out of the BRP & I thought the Transalp was really cool (I rode a friends and thought it was really neat) The Africa twin should have been here and it would have been cool to have the old XLV750R stateside. Honda has had the machines, but the US market was too small/fragmented.

The ADV market in America is small, it is growing, but small. Remember the first few years of the KLR only sold about 500 units per year in the US. When that bike peaked 05-06 it was still under 6,000 units per year.
  5. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
    THAT. Is awesome.
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Kinda neat, actually. 17" front tire?
  7. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Kick Ass B-Mac!
  8. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was my experience on a Buell (with a 17" front wheel) that has lead me to believe that an adventure bike needs a 19 or 21 inch front. This new Honda is a 500cc bike... It's not made to compete with 'big adventure bikes'. It could've been made to fill a niche in between the more dirt oriented DR/XR 650 and the more street oriented Vstrom/650GS. I really think it could've been a true KLR competitor... that kind of wierd niche between more road, and more off-road worthy. Some people want a twin over a thumper, the new tech could put the performance comparable despite the cc disadvantage... 6 speeds, fuel injection, cheap... all great things. Unfortunately they threw that 17" front on there that screams (to me) IT'S NOT REALLY CAPABLE OFF ROAD!!! It'll cater towards road only folks, but they make 3 versions of this exact bike... do they all need to cater towards road only folks?

I agree with you that it's a status thing with this bike; it's not a real adventure bike, that's why I was disappointed.

Actually, that's exactly how I am in real life. Both my current bikes I bought without a test ride. They're motorcycles... I'm going to enjoy them... I'll ride with folks on any other make/model bike... and if we get a chance to trade, I'm all for it... doesn't even matter what you ride.

But on the internet I've come to bitch about stuff more than I ever have before. It must be pretty bad if I'm noticing it myself. I got in a pissing match with someone over in Thumpers yesterday out of sheer boredom. Not sure what my problem is lately... I think, since I've recently shaken my hardcore fan-boy status and am trying to remain open to all now, other fan-boy types (not personal, no one here) just rub me the wrong way, and I always want to play devils advocate just to erk them.

:beer
  9. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm like that, too. I just started riding last year on the KLR650, got my official M endorsement this spring. I noticed after a few put downs it was kind of a pain to pick up the heavy KLR up. Ended up buying a WRR a couple months ago just based on talking with an owner or 2 and reading some reviews. Rode it up to a Adv/road enduro & tried it out. I got a lot of strange looks when I said I rode to the ride & planned riding back home. I guess I'm not smart enough to know you shouldn't ride 400+ mile/12 hr days on a 250. I'm just enjoying it and don't really give a shit what anyone else thinks. :D

BTW I'll likely put a 100-200 miles in the SE corner together this weekend, if anyone wants to join. The weather looks fantastic. I really like gravel. :norton
  10. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. invisible monster

Oddometer:
    I could be up for a gravel road tour this weekend. What day are you thinking?
  13. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday weather looks a little better. Probably go for a 10 mile trail run Sat morning, so that would put me out near noon. Sunday does seem to be better.

Pretty open to meet up spots, I was looking around some Noble Co stuff last Saturday. I know a kind of cool route from Marietta to Woodsfield & back. I can just kind of go with the flow. I'll have the WRR so 75-80mph is about max.
  14. invisible monster

Oddometer:
    Sunday is fine by me. I can meet you somewhere in the Marietta area if you want to do the Woodsfield route. I'm not a speed demon so the 75-80 max speed should be fine :lol3. I'm located just south of Crooksville for reference.
  15. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well sometimes 90 feels good on a short section of 26. Whatcha riding so the route can be tailored accordingly? I put a GS in a place he didn't want to be earlier this year. Don't want to make that mistake again. :lol3

Anyone else want to tag along? I'm open to whatever pace.
  16. invisible monster

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my KTM 690 Enduro
  17. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Meet The KTM 690 Enduro R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...or did you mean why won't anyone make one that isn't orange? :rofl
  18. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
  19. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    And only 900 of those views were from people not clicking on your posted links :lol3
  20. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    :D I only posted it here too...unlike one of my videos. :evil